Improve tactical awareness
COMMANDO-class Mjolnir, also designated as the MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/K variant, is a MJOLNIR armor variant originally designed by Chalybs Defense Solutions and Special Warfare Center, with the GEN2 version being manufactured by the Naphtali Contractor Corporation.
- 1 GEN1 information
- 2 GEN2 information
- 3 In-game information
- 4 Gallery
- 5 Trivia
- 6 List of appearances
- 7 Note
- 8 Sources
The K variant's helmet is designed to improve a Spartan's tactical awareness without the use of the modular packages that can be added to the MJOLNIR platform. The Commando helmet package includes the most comprehensive, up-to-date tactical hardware and software systems. The variant's shoulder pauldrons offer excellent protection at the cost of limited joint mobility. The field support attachment provides additional functionality to the MJOLNIR armor. It was designed for special operations.
The K variant was developed at the Special Warfare Center in Seongnam, United Korea, to aid Spartan supersoldiers in specialized assaults on conventional military targets. When production for the K variant was approved, Chalybs Defense Solutions was awarded the contract to manufacture the armor, with final testing conducted at the Chalybs Testing Preserve.
The Mark IV version, which was simply a modification to the MJOLNIR suit rather than a distinct variant,[note 1] originated as a prototype for standardized team leader kits. The Mark V[B] version was introduced near the end of the war in November 2551 due to the success of the Mark IV ad hoc. Unlike the previous iteration, the Mark V version was designed as a fully featured variant of the Mark V system. It was first deployed during the siege of the Inner Colonies relatively late in the Human-Covenant War.
|“||Now produced by the NCC, this armor is loosely based on the GEN1 variant.||”|
The helmet has a built in CNM suite for tactical application; this enables real-time synchronization with the UNSC battlenet. The helmet also has field elaboration software for real-time combat intelligence modification. The body has a wide-range fireteam allocation module.
After Meridian fell, all contracts that Chalybs had were absorbed into companies that survived the war. NCC was the company that got a hold of Commando and started to circumvent its GEN1 limitations, making the armor more open for more users, and beginning production of the GEN2 of the Commando armor. This acquisition of Chalybs' original COMMANDO designs also allowed NCC to bring their GEN2 Mjolnir armor to market several months ahead of schedule.
While the armor was made more open for more users, many team leaders still opt to use Commando systems possibly out of tradition.
Developed at the UNSC's Special Warfare Center, this helmet is compatible with all armor systems.
Base Price: 85,000 cR, Commander
- Description: The Mk.V/K helmet was developed at the Special Warfare Centre in Songnam, Hanguk.
CBRN/CNM Price: 40,000 cR, Commander
- Description: For operations in hazard zones; command network module.
UA/FC-I Price: 40,000 cR, Commander
- Description: Up-armored variant with external command network and hardened 3rd generation uplink modules.
The Commando helmet can be viewed at the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and can be unlocked once at the rank of Commander. The helmet resembles the HAZOP helmet with a small area of black polymer at the bottom of the visor. The base Commando helmet has a HUL already attached, making it one of only three base helmets to have an attachment, the others being the Beta-5 Operator helmet, which has a goggle-like attachment, and the EOD helmet, which has a CBRN module.
Two upgrades are available for the helmet. The first, CBRN/CNM, replaces the HUL attachment with a CBRN apparatus featuring an External Command Network Module on the left side. The second, UA/FC-I, adds an up-armor plate with a third-generation Hardened Uplink Module on the right side and a Command Network Module on the left side.
Price: 40,000 cR, Commander
- Description: The MJOLNIR Mk. V/K variant was developed at the UNSC's Special Warfare Center.
It is characterized by a large curved plate of armor set on the standard base, which connects it to the Spartan's shoulder. It is noticeably large and is placed high on the Spartan's arm. It is one of few shoulder pieces that utilizes the player's selected secondary color instead of his or her primary color.
- Description: Now produced by the NCC, this armor is loosely based on the GEN1 variant.
Available skins: FRCT(Fracture)
- The FRCT skin is obtainable by completing the Flood Victory - Master commendation.
Halo 5 : Guardians
This armor set in Halo 5: Guardians permanently has the following
Unlock: Uncommon REQ card
- Helmet description: Naphtali greatly benefited from its aquisition of Chalybs' original COMMANDO designs, which allowed them to bring their GEN2 Mjolnir armor to market several months ahead of schedule.
- Armor description: COMMANDO armor features an integrated Command Network Module (CNM) for real-time synchronization with the UNSC battlenet.
Available skins: Arius, Matrix, and Verde
Arius Unlock: Ultra Rare REQ card
Matrix Unlock: Legendary REQ card
Verde Unlock: Rare REQ card
|Browse more images in this article's gallery page.|
Concept art of the Commando helmet for Halo: Reach.
Carter-A259 wearing his Commando Mark V/K armor.
GEN2 Commando armor in Halo 4.
Render of Commando armor in Halo 5: Guardians.
Halo 5: Guardians armor skins
The base Commando helmet in Halo: Reach has the HUL attachment on it.
List of appearances
- Remember Reach
- Halo: Reach
- Halo: Fall of Reach
- Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
- Halo 4
- Halo: Escalation
- Halo 5: Guardians
- Halo Mythos
- ^ In Birth of a Spartan Carter-A259's Mark IV/K prototype is identical to the Mark V version that he used later in the war, despite The Essential Visual Guide stating that the Mark IV/K was an ad hoc modification of the contemporary Mark IV suit. Frank O'Connor has stated that this suit was a prototype that was still being researched and did not see deployment for some time.
- ^ a b c d e f g h i Halo: The Essential Visual Guide - Page 33
- ^ a b c d e f g Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide - Page 149
- ^ a b Halo: Reach - Armory description
- ^ Halo 4 Interactive Guide - Armor Types: Commando
- ^ NeoGAF: View Single Post - Halo: Reach Beta |OT|
- ^ Halo 4 - Armory description
- ^ a b Halo 5: Guardians - Armory description
- ^ Halo Waypoint: Under Locke & Keynote