GUNGNIR-class Mjolnir, also designated as the MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/G variant, is a MJOLNIR armor variant originally designed by Misriah Armory, with the GEN2 version being manufactured by Hannibal Weapon Systems.
- 1 GEN1 information
- 2 GEN2 information
- 3 In-game information
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Gallery
- 6 List of appearances
- 7 Sources
The GUNGNIR helmet's visor is a "Blast visor", which is boxy and comes with more facial protection than any other helmet as it fully covers the front of the head and it replaces the usage of a visor with a small camera on the left that displays the outside to the user. It bears a white stripe running down the right side with the Norse symbol for Gungnir in the center. The helmet also has Wyrd III synchronized optimization which seamlessly connects the helmet to an M6 Spartan Laser to allow full access to the weapon.
- Main article: Project GUNGNIR
It was developed as a part of the GUNGNIR Program by a separate but parallel team, as a modification of existing Mjolnir variants optimized for the use of the M6 Spartan Laser. The GUNGNIR program also produced several supplemental armor like pauldrons and knee guards.
|“||Now widely used, this armor was originally designed in parallel with the nonlinear rifle.||”|
The GEN2 GUNGNIR helmet, unlike its Mark V iteration, is round. Like the previous iterations, there is no visor, but the video camera has moved from the left side to the right side of the helmet. The helmet is less angular overall, and the front extends much less than its predecessor.
The helmet continues to have Wyrd III integrated video optics, though the helmet has enhanced cranial plating now. The chest has a centralized power-distribution capacitor(Servo L-903), and a breach-anchored collar system for in-field modification.
Despite being considered an exclusive armor set, many Spartans have adopted GUNGNIR regardless of their weapon loadouts due to its isolated video optics, Wyrd III sensory optimization, and enhanced cranial plating. This was especially useful when operating at or near Covenant manufacturing sites, as it protected against intense flare radiometric conditions.
The GUNGNIR target acquisition and tracking system has been adapted into various UNSC weapon systems.
Halo: Reach - Mark V GEN1
The Mk.V[G] was developed as part of the GUNGNIR Program alongside the M6 G/GNR Weapon system.
Base cost: 250,000 cR, Brigadier
- Description: The GUNGNIR Program involved the development of the many supplementary armor systems.
HU/RS cost: 125,000 cR, Brigadier
- Description: Hardened uplink/remote sensor package. A favorite of sniper units.
CRBN cost: 400,000 cR, Mythic
- Description: For operations in hazard zones.
Cost: 8000 cR (per shoulder), Warrant Officer
- Description: The Supplemental Armor, Pauldron, MJOLNIR Mk.V[G] was developed as part of the GUNGNIR Program.
Cost: 25,000 cR, Captain
- Description: The GUNGNIR Program also produced many supplementary armor systems.
Halo 4 - GEN2
Available skins: Pulse (PULS)
Default unlock: Complete the Slayer Victory - Master commendation.
Pulse unlock: The Pulse skin was a pre-order bonus though the Microsoft store. It is also available in the Halo 4 Game of the Year Edition.
- Description: Now widely used, this armor was originally designed in parallel with the nonlinear rifle.
Halo 5: Guardians - GEN2
Available skins: Dvalin
Default unlock: Ultra Rare REQ card
Dvalin unlock: Legendary REQ card
- Helmet description: The GUNGNIR target acquisition and tracking system has been adapted into various UNSC weapon systems.
- Body description: Originally an adjunct to the Spartan Laser program, GUNGNIR-class armor has evolved to become a well-rounded infantry suit.
- The armor designation "GUNGNIR" by itself is a reference to Odin's magical spear of the same name. This is a theme of the Spartan armor systems as MJOLNIR is the name of Thor's hammer.
- In pre-release Halo 4 renders and the icon used to select the armor in Halo: The Master Chief Collection, the forearms on the render were not available to be used in any release version of Halo 4. These forearms would later used on the Halo 5: Guardians Gungnir armor.
- The GUNGNIR helmet has only one video camera "eye" on one side of the face; in Norse mythology, the god Odin also had one eye.
- The Dvalin skin for the GUNGNIR armor in Halo 5: Guardians is named after Dvalinn, a dwarf who appears in several Old Norse tales and kennings on Norse mythology. Dvalinn is also listed as one of the four stags of Yggdrasill.
|Browse more images in this article's gallery page.|
Concept art of the GUNGNIR helmet for Halo: Reach.
Concept art of the GUNGNIR armor variant from Halo 4.
Halo 4 skins
Halo 5: Guardians skins
Halo 5: Guardians REQ cards
List of appearances