Halo: The Television Series
|This article is about an upcoming work. Editors must cite sources for all contributions to this article. Edits that do not follow this standard will be reverted without notice. For more information, see the Citation Policy.|
Halo: The Television Series is an upcoming live-action television series for Showtime, set to air in 2021. When first announced in 2013, the series was stated to be available to users with the Halo Channel application for Xbox One and Windows 8.1. It will be distributed globally by CBS Studios International. Other streaming services that will air the show include Stan.
Announced in 2013, the show has been in development hell for six years. By April of 2014, it was reported as "still in the deal-making phase as the service has been going through the growing pains of establishing a business template for original content." The series was stated to have connections with Halo 5: Guardians and Ridley Scott's Halo: Nightfall during this time.
Originally, acclaimed filmmaker Steven Spielberg had been confirmed as the show's executive producer. Microsoft's president of entertainment and digital media, Nancy Tellem, said they will take the time necessary to produce the shows and Microsoft Studios corporate vice president Phil Spencer said the show will not be 'filler'. According to Latino Review, Neill Blomkamp, originally slated to direct the Halo film, is apparently set to direct the series. Latino Review reports that it heard the news from "trusted sources".
The series was initially pushed back to air in 2019 from its original 2015 date, but has been pushed back even further to 2021. Kyle Killen is the executive producer, showrunner, and writer of the series. Rupert Wyatt was announced direct multiple episodes and also serve as executive producer. The writers will work with the 343 story team as to keep the show within the Halo canon.
- Pablo Schreiber as John-117
- Natascha McElhone as Catherine Halsey and Cortana
- Shabana Azmi as Margaret Parangosky
- Bokeem Woodbine as Soren-066
- Bentley Kalu as Vannak-134
- Yerin Ha as Quan Ah
- Natasha Culzac as Riz-028
- Kate Kennedy as Kai-125
- Francisco Labbe as David Agnoli
- Danny Sapani as Jacob Keyes
- Olive Gray as Miranda Keyes
- Charlie Murphy as Makee
Technology and equipment
- Kotaku - Showtime Announces Live-Action Halo Series, Airs Early 2019
- IGN - SHOWTIME'S HALO TV SERIES WILL HAVE MASTER CHIEF AS LEAD CHARACTER, TELL A 'NEW STORY'
- Gamespot: Halo Channel and Halo 5 Beta Dates Revealed at Gamescom
- Twitter - SHO_PR
- TVLine - Halo TV Series: Master Chief Will Be a Character, and More Things to Know
- Halo Waypoint: Showtime Announces New Halo TV Series Details
- Deadline: Xbox Entertainment Studios Partners With Channel 4 For Drama Series ‘Humans’
- Eurogamer - 343's master plan for Halo 5: Guardians
- Gigaom - Bonnaroo, Halo and soccer: Microsoft aims high with Xbox Originals
- Xbox Wire: The Halo Journey
- Eurogamer: Spielberg's Halo TV show "still in very active development", network claims
- Screenrant: Steven Spielberg’s Halo TV Series Starts Filming This Fall
- Joystiq: Microsoft, Steven Spielberg Working on Halo: The Television Series
- The Verge: Microsoft announces live action 'Halo' TV series with Steven Spielberg as executive producer
- OXM: Halo is our 'most important IP', says Microsoft - TV show won't be "filler"
- Gamespot: Neill Blomkamp rumored to direct Halo TV series pilot
- Variety: 'Halo' Series at Showtime Loses Director Rupert Wyatt
- IGN - SHOWTIME'S HALO TV SERIES FINDS ITS NEW DIRECTOR
- Hollywoodreporter, Pablo Schreiber to Play Master Chief in Showtime's 'Halo' Live-Action Series