A Kiva was a type of settlement on the human colony world of Reach. Situated in the harsh wilderness of the planet, they were arranged in small communities with the inhabitants making a living out of farming or handicrafts.
Built mostly of concrete, kivas were utilitarian in design, but nonetheless designed to be comfortable. Most of the structures were rounded, circling a central courtyard, and often partially subterranean. Due to their remoteness, kivas were often self-sustaining, located outside power grids and powered by their own wind turbines. Visegrad had a community of kiva homesteads.
- The overall design of the kivas was likely inspired by kivas, rounded underground rooms used by Puebloan peoples for religious rituals.
- Bungie's designers went to great lengths designing a purpose and function for each of the kivas in the level Winter Contingency.
List of appearances
- ^ Remember Reach, New Life
- ^ a b Halo: Reach, Legendary Edition Developer Commentary
- ^ Halo: Reach, campaign level, Winter Contingency