From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
Map file name (?):
00:15:00 (Master Chief Collection)
15,000 (Master Chief Collection)
Halopedia has a walkthrough guide to this level, Winter Contingency. See Winter Contingency/Walkthrough.
|“||There's a disturbance on the frontier.||”|
Winter Contingency is the second level in the campaign of Halo: Reach and the first level to feature gameplay. It immediately follows the first level Noble Actual, which includes the game's opening cinematic.
In the level, Noble Team is sent to Visegrad, a remote agricultural region of the planet Reach, to investigate a disturbance in the communications relay responsible for the planet's communications to the rest of the UNSC, and the disappearance of the Army troopers sent in to investigate before them. Sabotage by insurrectionists is suspected, but the cause of the disruption is revealed to be a Covenant advance infiltration force. At the Visegrad relay, Noble Team finds the corpse of a researcher alongside his surviving daughter. Shortly after, several Sangheili Zealots attack the Spartans, and after a brief scuffle they retreat deeper into the facility. Eventually Noble Team brings the relay back online, and contact Colonel Holland, declaring Winter Contingency.
Two UH-144 Falcons fly over a mountainous landscape.
Carter-A259 is shown from behind, looking over at the other Falcon.
- Commander Carter-A259: "Listen up, Noble Team. We're looking at a downed relay outpost, fifty klicks from Visegrad. We're going to introduce ourselves to whoever took it out, then Kat's going to get it back online."
- Chief Warrant Officer Jorge-052: "Sir, why would rebels want to cut off Reach from the rest of the colonies?"
Carter is shown from the front.
- Carter-A259: "You get a chance, maybe you can ask 'em, Jorge."
The camera shifts to behind the two Falcons.
- Kat-B320: "Commander, we just lost our signal with HQ."
Cut back to the second Falcon from Carter's point of view.
- Carter-A259: "Backup channels?"
- Kat-B320: "Searching... Nada. Can't say what's jamming us."
The two Falcons are once again shown from behind, from a greater distance. They are now approaching the outpost.
- Carter-A259: "You heard her. Dead zone confirmed. Command will not be keeping us company this trip."
- Warrant Officer Emile-A239: "I'm lonely already."
The Falcons bank left and hover over the outpost. Fade to black.
- Carter-A259: "Shoot down attempts are likely, so keep your distance."
- Pilot (COM): "Yes, sir!"
- Carter-A259: "Let's stay focused. Watch your sectors."
The two Falcons head in opposite directions as the Comm Relay Hub comes into view.
- Jorge-052: "There's the communications outpost."
- Kat-B320: "Reading a distress beacon."
- Carter-A259: "Could be the missing troopers. Let's check it out."
- Carter-A259: "Put us down on the bluff."
The Falcon circles for a landing.
- Carter-A259: "Jun, I want your eyes in the sky."
- Warrant Officer Jun-A266: "Sir."
The Falcons land side by side, and Carter jumps down.
- Carter-A259: "Let's go, Six."
Noble Six exits the Falcon along with Carter, Emile, and Kat. Jun and Jorge remain in their respective Falcons to provide sniper support.
A distress beacon has been detected near Visegrad Relay Outpost. Investigate and locate the beacon.
- Carter-A259: "Alright, Noble Team. Spread out. Watch the approach."
Six follows Noble Team down the hillside. Emile swiftly jumps on to the top of a boulder and checks the surrounding area.
- Emile-A239: "Structure point 3-4, looks clear from this angle."
The Spartans advance further down the hill.
- Kat-B320: "Distress beacon's coming from just south of here, Commander. We're close."
- Carter-A259: "Roger that. Eyes peeled."
Soon they come to a burning vehicle next to a small building. There are blood spatters on the ground near the wreckage, but no bodies. Emile begins inspecting a broken pallet on the ground and removes a red object from it.
- Emile-A239: "Found the beacon."
Emile tosses the beacon to Kat.
- Carter-A259: "Make out any ID?"
- Kat-B320: "Negative, but it's military."
Kat drops the beacon on the ground.
- Jorge-052 (COM): "So, where are all the troopers?"
- Kat-B320: "Why are we not seeing explosives residue?"
- Carter-A259: "Noble Three, can you confirm any 'ex residue in the area?"
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Hmm... Negative, sir."
- Emile-A239: "Plasma, maybe."
- Jorge-052 (COM): "Can't be. Not on Reach."
- Emile-A239: "There's a lot of blood on the ground."
- Carter-A259: "All right, Noble, looks like there's nothing here. Let's move on."
If the player shoots at the gas tank nearby, detonating it:
- Carter-A259: "Stand down, Noble Six!"
Noble Team heads off to another cluster of buildings.
- Kat-B320: "Smoke at the next structure, boss."
- Carter-A259: "Circle west and check it out. Noble Team: you have permission to engage, but be selective. We don't need to telegraph our presence."
The team arrives at a house overlooking the cliffside.
- Carter-A259: "Noble Six, move into the house. Go in quiet. I'm right behind you."
Noble Six moves through the house.
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Noble Leader, I'm seeing heat-sigs in the structure ahead."
Six goes up a short flight of stairs and emerges on the other side of the house. The second Falcon lands in the courtyard long enough to drop Jorge off, then takes off. A door in the house opens, and a male civilian steps out. Other civilians can be seen remaining inside.
- Farmer: (Hungarian) "Én nem csináltam semmit!" (I didn't do anything!)
Emile aims his shotgun at the man as he and Jorge question him, but he appears to speak only in Hungarian.
- Emile-A239: "On your knees, now!"
- Farmer: (Panicked, Hungarian) "Ne lőjön! Ne lőjön!" (Don't shoot! Don't shoot!)
- Jorge-052: "They're not rebels, they're farmers. Look at them."
- Carter-A259: "Ask him what they're doing here."
Jorge questions him in Hungarian. The civilian begins talking as Jorge translates.
- Jorge-052: (Hungarian) "Mit kerestek itt?" (What are you doing here?)
- Farmer: (Hungarian) "Csak nem akartunk meghalni." (We just didn't want to die.)
- Jorge-052: "Hiding, sir. Neighbors were attacked last night. He heard screams, gunfire. It stopped around sunrise."
- Farmer: (Hungarian) "Valami megölte a fiamat." (Something killed my son.)
- Jorge-052: "He says something in the fields...killed his son."
- Carter-A259: "Something?"
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Commander, be advised. I'm reading heat signatures in that structure directly east of your position. Over."
- Carter-A259: "Copy that. (to Jorge) Get them back inside."
- Jorge-052: (Hungarian) "Azt mondtam, befelé!" (I said get in! Get in!)
- Carter-A259: "Noble Team, double-time it."
A new waypoint appears on the building in question. The farmer gets back inside as Noble Team sprints east toward the building.
- Jorge-052: "We're moving in, Commander."
Inside, the Spartans find several human corpses, including two uniformed ones hanging from pegs on the wall. The ground is covered with blood.
- Carter-A259: "Damn..."
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Fill me in, Commander, what are you seeing? Over."
Carter kneels down over the pools of blood and examines them. Avian footprints can be seen in the blood, moving across the floor.
- Carter-A259: "We've got military casualties, two of the missing troopers. Looks like they were interrogated... It's messy."
Carter stands back up and signals the team to keep moving. They enter an adjacent room with another dead body. Movement is suddenly heard on the roof, and a brief hostile contact is detected on the motion tracker, which refreshes.
- Carter-A259: "Movement. Watch your motion trackers."
Noble Team heads outside, but the contact disappears.
- Emile-A239: "What the hell was that?"
- Carter-A259: "Jun, you see anything?"
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Negative. Thermal's clean."
Noble Team heads into a nearby building.
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Boss, I see movement, outside your structure!"
- Carter-A259: "Noble Two, move up to the west. We're about to be flanked."
- Jorge-052: "Huh?"
- Emile-A239: "Damn it!"
- Jorge-052: "Covenant!"
- Carter-A259: "Contact, contact! Spartans, assist!"
- Jorge-052: "Here we go!"
- Carter-A259: "They're heading into the basement. Move down to the lower levels!"
Noble Team engages the Covenant forces. Several Banshees begin to move in and are engaged by the Falcon.
- Pilot (COM): "Banshees! Heads up, Charlie 1!"
Noble Team clears out the Covenant near the farm, while the Falcon shoots down the Banshees. A Spirit dropship touches down across a nearby bridge and begins deploying troops.
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Noble Leader, enemy dropships inbound!"
- Pilot (COM): "Falcon moving to assist."
Noble Team moves across the bridge, eliminating the Covenant forces.
- Carter-A259: "Stand down, Noble, stand down. Contacts neutralized."
- Jorge-052: "Contacts? It's the damn Covenant!"
- Emile-A239: "Cheer up, big man: this whole valley just turned into a free-fire zone."
- Carter-A259: "Kat, we've got to warn Holland. I need you at that relay outpost now."
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Boss, I'm showing more activity to the east!"
- Carter-A259: "Copy that, Jun, we're on it. Six, you've got point."
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Commander, I'm seeing more hostile activity to the north-east."
- Carter-A259: "Emile, you're with Kat. Six and I will run interference on the ground. We'll meet you at the outpost."
- Kat-B320: "Noble Three, requesting air-lift. Over."
Noble Six, Carter, and Jorge head to a flatbed truck, with Carter taking the passenger seat and Jorge standing in the truck bed, using his gun as a makeshift turret. Noble Six drives.
- Carter-A259: "Get to work, Noble."
Rebels Don't Leave Plasma Burns
Recon the east valley and draw the Covenant's attention while Kat and Emile infiltrate the outpost.
Noble Six, Carter, and Jorge drive around, eliminating all Covenant they come across. There are three areas in the rain-soaked Visegrad: two buildings and a farmyard near a river.
As the team approaches the first building:
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Noble Leader, I'm seeing heat sigs in the structure ahead."
They clear out the Covenant inside the building.
- Carter-A259: "Looks like we're clear, Lieutenant."
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Boss, I'm showing more activity to the east. Advise you check it out."
- Carter-A259: "Roger, Three. We're en route."
The team moves on to the next location. The Spartans clear the area of Covenant.
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Boss, we're picking up a distress signal."
- Corporal Travis (COM): "Mayday! 3 Charlie Six, does anyone read? We were attacked by Covenant forces. The Covenant is on Reach. I repeat: the Covenant is on Reach."
- Jorge-052: "The troopers?"
- Carter-A259: "Let's move, Six. We've gotta find the source of that distress call."
- Jun-A266 (COM): "No disrespect, but don't we have more important things to do than round up strays?"
- Carter-A259: "We don't leave people behind. You see those troopers, you let me know."
If the player takes time finding the Troopers:
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Noble Leader: I'm seeing possible friendly forces under attack, north-east/south of your position, over!"
Note: The direction Jun calls out depends on the player's current location.
- Travis (COM): "We're under attack! I repeat: mayday, mayday! 3 Charlie Six, we're under attack by the Covenant! I've got wounded - cannot hold this position!"
- Carter-A259: "We need to find those Troopers, now!"
Six, Carter, and Jorge reach the third area. They spot gunfire and explosions from a Covenant landing site. Several Army troopers are pinned down by the Covenant forces. The three Spartans move to intervene and get out of the truck.
- Carter-A259: "Noble Three, we've located the trooper squad. Request immediate evac - my coordinates."
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Solid copy, Commander. Recalling Falcon Charlie 2. Hold that evac position."
Noble Team and the troopers engage the Covenant and defeat them.
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Noble Leader, be advised: I have visual on inbound Covenant dropships."
- Carter-A259: "Evac transport, keep your distance! Six, hold this position. Clear an LZ."
- Travis: "Spartans? Corporal Travis, sir, 3 Charlie. It's the Covenant..."
- Carter-A259: "We know, Corporal. Let's get you out of here."
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Be advised: We've got hostile dropships inbound."
Covenant Spirits approach and drop off enemy reinforcements. Noble Team and 3 Charlie engage the Covenant, eventually clearing them out.
- Carter-A259: "Transport, LZ is clear. Move in for evac."
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Affirmative. Transport inbound."
Two Falcons land.
- Carter-A259: "Troopers, board that bird on the double! Pilot, stay close - watch for hostile air."
- Carter-A259: "Six, Jun - let's go!"
If the player stalls:
- Carter-A259: "On the Falcon, Six - now!"
If the player further stalls:
- Carter-A259: "Lieutenant, mount up! That's an order!"
The troopers get into one Falcon and fly away, while Noble Team departs for the relay in the other.
- Carter-A259: "Noble Two, sit-rep."
- Kat-B320 (COM): "We're at the relay outpost. Door's locked. Mechanism's been flash-fused."
- Carter-A259: "Can you beat it?"
- Kat-B320 (COM): "I dialed up my torch, cut a way through. Going to take some time."
- Carter-A259: "Okay, we're en route to your location."
Noble Team reaches the relay, finding a group of Covenant in the courtyard, including several Kig-Yar. Kat and Emile are pinned down inside the outpost.
- Pilot (COM): "Approaching the com outpost."
- Carter-A259: "Drop us in the courtyard."
- Pilot (COM): "LZ's a little hot, sir-"
- Carter-A259: "Put her down, pilot. Six, break's over."
The Falcon touches down. Carter, Jorge and Six get out and move to assist Emile and Kat.
- Carter-A259: "How we doing, Kat?"
- Kat-B320: "Taking a little longer than I hoped, Commander. I've cut about halfway through the door."
- Emile-A239: "Contact!"
- Carter-A259: "Hold them off until Kat can hack the controls."
Noble Team engage the Covenant infantry, but more and more troops are dropped in via Spirit dropships.
- Carter-A259: "Kat?"
- Kat-B320: "Just about...there! We're in!"
- Carter-A259: "Everybody inside! Go, go, go!"
If the player stalls:
- Carter-A259: "Inside, Lieutenant! I'll cover you!"
Noble Team withdraws to the relay's entrance as the door closes, shutting the Covenant out.
You've arrived at the Visegrad Relay Outpost. Advance inside.
- Carter-A259: "We need to find the control room. From there, Kat can get the relay back online. Emile, post here. If we flush any hostiles, they're yours. Alright, let's do this."
Note: Carter may not always say this; it is unknown why this happens. He always says this if the player starts the level Rally Point Bravo.
Noble Team enters the dark room.
- Carter-A259: "Can't see a thing... Noble Six, turn on your night vision."
- Kat-B320: "Control room. Go easy."
Noble Six turns the corridor and finds a body.
- Kat-B320: "Noble Six, search that body."
If the player stalls:
- Kat-B320: "Lieutenant, check that body for ID!"
Six begins to search the body. Carter attends to a wounded trooper leaning against the wall.
- Carter-A259: "Where's the rest of your unit?"
- Army Corporal: "We got split. I don't think they... It sounded bad on the comms."
- Carter-A259: "Alright, Corporal, stay put. We'll get you a combat surgeon."
Noble Six finds a data module on the corpse and picks it up as Kat looks at the controls.
- Kat-B320: "Damn. Plasma damage!"
- SPARTAN-B312: "Found something..."
Kat snatches the data module from Six's hand.
- Kat-B320: "I'll take that, Six. Not your domain."
- Jorge-052: "I've got a live one over here! Come on, out you come."
Jorge drags out a young female civilian, but she struggles to escape, repeatedly hitting him while speaking frantic Hungarian.
- Sára Sorvad: (Hungarian) "Engedj el, hadd menjek ki innen! Hé!" (Let me go, let me get out of here! Hey!)
- Jorge-052: "It's all right, we're not going to hurt you."
- Sàra: (Hungarian) "Hagyjon békén!" (Leave me alone!)
- Carter-A259: "Jorge..."
- Jorge-052: "I got her."
Jorge puts down his weapon and grabs her by both arms, easily restraining her. She stops struggling.
- Jorge-052: "Keep still, and I'll release you."
- Sàra: (Hungarian) "Még... Itt vannak." (There's more...)
Jorge stiffens in alarm just as a Sangheili Field Marshal of the Devoted Sentries jumps down from an upper floor and ignites its energy sword. The alien slashes at Jorge, but he dodges the strike, pulling the civilian to the ground and covering her with his body. The Marshal snarls a challenge at the rest of Noble Team and charges. Two more Zealots jump down to support the Marshal.
- Emile-A239 (COM): "What's your status, over?!"
- Carter-A259: "We've been engaged!"
Carter and Noble Six fire their assault rifles at the charging Sangheili, but his shields absorb the fire. The Marshal slashes at Kat, slicing through the monitors on the wall, but Carter knocks her out of the way just in time. The Field Marshal's shields collapse under sustained fire from Noble Six. The Sangheili charges Noble Six and, unable to bring his sword to bear, knocks the Spartan over before running towards the exit.
Cut to Noble Six's point of view:
- Carter-A259: "Bad guy coming out!"
One of the Zealots grabs the fallen Noble Six by the neck and extends an Energy Dagger. The Zealot attempts to stab Noble Six, but Six blocks the strike and punches the Zealot across the face, stunning him momentarily. The Zealot recovers and roars in Six's face, but Carter kicks him off as Kat fires on it with her pistol. The Sangheili's shields flash and it scrambles back to escape. Carter kicks an assault rifle to Six.
The two Zealots head for another door leading deeper into the facility, one holding the wounded corporal as a shield and forcing Noble Team to hold their fire. The civilian girl begins screaming while the Zealots head through the door, taking the screaming corporal with them. The corporal tries to grab the doorjamb in a desperate attempt to break free, but the Zealot holding him easily drags him out of sight.
- Emile-A239 (COM): "That tango blew past me. Permission to pursue?"
- Carter-A259: "Negative, Four, stay on the entrance! Two, handle her! Five and Six, clear the hole!"
Noble Six reloads. They and Jorge head into the room, which Jorge then seals shut behind them.
Jorge throws a flare into the darkness, illuminating the corridor and revealing a mob of hostile infantry blocking the way. Jorge and Six clear the room of Covenant, and head down the corridor into another large room housing computer servers.
- Jorge-052: "There's more. Flush 'em out, I've got you covered."
A group of Special Operations Unggoy move to engage the two Spartans, but they are soon killed. Noble Six eliminates one of the Zealots. The second Zealot charges Six with an energy sword. Six kills this Zealot as well.
- Jorge-052: "Noble Five reporting. Targets neutralized."
- Carter-A259 (COM): "Kat needs you to reset a junction. Do it and get back here."
Noble Six goes into an adjacent room, finds the junction and resets it.
Kat pulls an access panel off the wall.
- Carter-A259: "How long?"
- Kat-B320: "Question of my life. If the question is when will this station be back online, two weeks, earliest. This is plasma damage. All major uplink components are fried."
- Carter-A259: "Two minutes is too long."
- Kat-B320: "Which is why I'm splicing into the main overland bundle to get you a direct line to Colonel Holland... You're in my light, Commander."
Carter turns to Jorge.
- Carter-A259: "Find out what she knows."
Jorge taps the civilian girl's shoulder, but she shoves his hand off. Emile chuckles.
- Jorge-052: "What's your name? Do you live around here?"
Jorge takes his helmet off.
- Jorge-052: (Hungarian) "A nevem Jorge." (My name's Jorge.)
- Sára: "Sára."
- Jorge-052: (Hungarian) "Sára... Szép határozott név." (A nice, strong name.) "Your accent sounds familiar. Sopron?"
- Sára: "Tengeri." (By the sea.)
Jorge looks at the body.
- Jorge-052: "Friend of yours?"
- Sára: "Father."
- Jorge-052: (Hungarian) "Sajnálom. I'm sorry."
- Sára: "Why would you be?"
- Emile-A239: (to Six) "Big man forgets what he is sometimes."
- Jorge-052: (to Emile) "She just lost her father." (to Carter) "She needs a full psychiatric workup."
- Emile-A239: "She's not the only one..."
Jorge turns furiously to Emile, but Carter intervenes. Kat looks up from the panel briefly.
- Carter-A259: "Lock it down, both of you! Get her on her feet...the body stays here."
- Jorge-052: "Thank you, sir."
Jorge walks by Emile and glares at him, then helps Sára get on her feet.
- Kat-B320: "Signal! It's patchy, but it's there."
- Carter-A259: "I'll take it."
- Kat-B320: "Best not touch anything. You wouldn't want to ground this place."
Noble Team, with the exception of their leader, leaves the room. Holland's image appears on the screen.
- Carter-A259: "Colonel, this is Noble One. There are no rebels. The Covenant are on Reach. Acknowledge?"
- Holland (COM): "Come again, Noble One? Did you say Covenant?"
- Carter-A259: "Affirmative. It's the Winter Contingency."
- Holland (COM): "May God help us all."
Fade to black.
|Halo: Reach (Xbox 360)||Halo: MCC (Xbox One)||Halo: MCC (Steam)||Title||Unlock requirement||Games|
|Beat Winter Contingency on Normal difficulty or harder.|
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
|Kill 7 Moa on Winter Contingency.|
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
|Finish Winter Contingency without setting foot in a drivable vehicle.|
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
|Beat the par time on Winter Contingency.|
|Beat the par score on Winter Contingency.|
|Find Data Pad 1 on Winter Contingency.|
|Find Data Pad 10 on Winter Contingency on Legendary difficulty.|
|Kill the cloaked Stealth Elite that carries Data Pad 10 at the beginning of Winter Contingency on Legendary difficulty.|
- The Forerunner-like symbol on the gate in the beginning of the level is a symbol that is frequently seen in the Marathon franchise.
- In the building in which Noble Team first find the dead humans, there are seven corpses as a seven reference; four civilians and two troopers in the main room plus one civilian in the adjacent corridor.
- In the cinematic where Noble Six is attacked by Elites, the Assault Rifle has 7 rounds left in it, another seven reference. The Lieutenant reloads it shortly after.
- In the opening cutscene, both Falcons are armed with side mounted machine gun turrets. However, during gameplay, the Falcons are only armed with forward mounted turrets. This is to prevent the second, third and fourth player from firing the turrets, as they sit on the gunner seats in co-op.
- Several seconds before the player exits the Falcon (at the beginning of the level), if they keeps on looking left they will notice that the Falcon flies right through the trees.
- Upon exiting the abandoned building at the beginning of the level, the player can hear an Elite growl. However, if the player manages to catch a glimpse of the fleeing Covenant, it is revealed that it is actually a Skirmisher. This can easily be seen in Theater mode.
- When Noble Six punches the Zealot attacking him, its shields do not flare. Seconds later, Kat shoots at it with her Magnum, and its shields flare. A similar mistake happens earlier, Jorge's shields do not flare when Sára Sorvad punches him.
- In the beginning of the level when the player first gets out of the Falcon, when the checkpoint loads the player's motion tracker may disappear,but then reappear in a few seconds.
- When Jorge tells the farmer to get back inside, the player can block the door (which would automatically close regardless), preventing him from entering. He would now speak in English when touched or shot at like a normal civilian, despite appearing to only speak Hungarian previously.
- Just after Rally Point Alpha, the player can use a Plasma Pistol to disable and steal Jun's Falcon, holding position above a hill. The invisible "driver" of the Falcon will be ejected when it is upside down (an Assault Rifle will drop out of the cockpit). The player can then fly the Falcon around the level, but numerous invisible barriers will make travel difficult. If the player does not dismount before rescuing the Troopers, the player will be stuck inside the Falcon (the player wasn't supposed to exit the Falcon until it has reached the relay outpost). Because only an AI driver could bypass invisible barriers, the player must restart to proceed. Alternatively, they may continue until the dropships are assaulting the troops, and park the Falcon in the energy field in between the drop ship's prongs. Eventually, the ship will fly away, taking the Falcon with it. About five seconds after the dropship moves past the ruined bridge, the player is now past the invisible wall. They can then release themselves from the dropship and fly to the Relay Station by following the road, continuing the mission normally. However, it's possible to get past the invisible barriers while still in full control of the Falcon. The player must fly it into the forward section (inside the U) of a Spirit dropship and getting the Falcon somewhat locked into it, so that when the Spirit eventually flies away, it takes the Falcon (and thus the player) with it. The tricky part is keeping the Falcon still locked into the forward section while the Spirit often wobbles around and can sometimes shake the player off, forcing him/her to start over. When the Spirit hits the invisible barrier, still with the player's Falcon locked into it, the Falcon will be pushed through the barrier with the Spirit, although the player will take extreme damage (to the point of no health bars even left) from the pressure of breaking through the barrier, but will not die as the Falcon is fully indestructible. The Falcon at a point through the break-through may be dislodged and unsuccessful in getting past the barrier, but if successful, the player will be past the barrier and is now fully free to fly throughout the entire map without the fear of any more barriers. Do note that the entire map is extremely large end to end and transversing it may take a very long time, and it can be very easy to get lost if the player wants to fly back to where the game is supposed to take place.
- The Weaponless Elite glitch can be performed in this level.
- It is possible to prevent Carter from getting into the Falcon after rescuing the troopers by parking the Spade on the Falcon's landing site. If the Falcon is rammed at the right time neither of them will get in and they appear at the outpost alongside Emile and Kat. Carter will not be heard responding to other NPC's dialogue, until he reappears at the relay outpost.
- It is possible for Carter and other members of Noble Team (except Six) to get shut out of the outpost when the door seals. Despite this, Carter will still be heard saying "[I] Can't see a thing... Noble Six, turn on your night vision," as if he was right next to the player.
- The level is named after WINTER CONTINGENCY, a UNSC contingency plan that is declared in case Covenant forces have discovered a UNSC colony world. Indeed, the first evidence of Covenant ground activity on Reach is discovered in this level.
- The Firefight map Overlook is based on a section of this level, but has different weather conditions.
- This level marks the first appearance of Skirmishers in the Halo franchise.
- This is the second time in the Halo series where the first playable level features drivable vehicles.
- There are eagles (or possibly another bird of prey) flying around the landscape. They can be shot and will react similar to the seagulls on Halo 3 multiplayer map Last Resort.
- The eagles have considerably more health than any if the other birds found in the game. They can survive multiple rounds from a Designated Marksman Rifle or a M6G magnum. The easiest way to kill them is to use the drivable Falcon and shoot the bird with its turret.
- When killed, the eagle will simply become a stagnant model and fall to the ground. It will be completely stiff but can be moved by the player.
- There is also a medium-sized red bird that has a red head crest in the level. Groups of the animal will appear throughout the mission and fly ambiently. They have no sounds and will simply explode into a splatter of blood when shot. There is no death model.
- When playing on Legendary difficulty, a cloaked SpecOps Elite will spawn near the start of the level, fleeing from the site of the distress beacon to the bottom of the first hill. It holds a data pad, which can be accessed if the player kills the Elite. To keep to the storyline consistent, Noble Team will not react to its death.
- This is the first of the four levels (the others being ONI: Sword Base, Tip of the Spear, and The Pillar of Autumn) where the assault rifle Six starts with has more than the usual 288 rounds. In this case, it carries 600 rounds. This could be a possible homage to the assault rifle from Halo: Combat Evolved, which also had a capacity of 600 rounds.
- If the player were to kill the farmer while he was being interrogated, the player will die instantly.
- It is possible to kill the Skirmisher that is seen early in the level if the player runs out quickly and fires on it with their pistol. Noble Team may even react to this kill with combat dialog (e.g. Good shot, Six!) that severely contradicts the fact that they are unaware of the Covenant presence.
- A "Micro" Skirmisher can be seen on top of a barn in this level. It will not try to escape and will recoil if shot. If killed, it will drop a needle rifle. It's corpse will be small, but the limbs and neck will be stretched out.
- One of the Zealots can be seen fiddling with the junction that the player later has to reset.
- The Zealot who attacks Noble Six in the cutscene hits his head on the doorway just as his shields recharge.
- Regardless of the weapons the player is carrying before the cutscene in which the Zealot strike team ambushes Noble Team in the outpost, the player's loadout will reset to assault rifle and a magnum when the pursuit starts. Similarly, Noble Six will always wield an assault rifle in cutscenes even if they do not carry the weapon in gameplay.
Concept art of an M12 Warthog outside a kiva.
An Alpha build view of a Covenant Spirit dropship, with the communications array seen in the background.
An Alpha build screenshot of Skirmishers near a homestead.
Sangheili Zealots preparing to attack Noble Team.
|Halo: Reach Campaign Missions
ONI: Sword Base