|“||A training facility located in the Highland Mountains, where Spartans are born.||”|
Highland Mountains, Reach
Mountain forest, UNSC training facility
Recommended number of players:
Highlands is one of three maps in the Defiant Map Pack designed for Halo: Reach. The map is set in a UNSC SPARTAN-II training facility in the Military Wilderness Training Preserve within the Highland Mountains on Reach. Outside the playable space, Covenant battlecruisers can be seen glassing the surrounding environment.
The following are locations on the map that are so named on the player's heads-up display during gameplay:
- Motor Pool
- Rock Arch
- Red Base
- Red Tower
- West Cave
- Rappelling Towers
- Blue Base
- Blue Tower
- Big Horn River
- Radio Tower
- Crash Site
- East Cave
- Out of bounds...
- During development Highlands was known as Training Preserve. Current files on Bungie.net are even labelled as Training Preserve instead of the map's final name.
- This is one of two maps to feature locations previously described in the novel Halo: The Fall of Reach, the other being Condemned.
- In the ringed section of The Big Horn river closest to the downed pelican, there are Koi fish. These fish can be shot and killed.
- This level's design is similar to that of the Halo: Combat Evolved campaign level Halo.
- The crashed Pelican was carrying Spartan-IIs in the midst of the Fall of Reach. They leapt out of the doomed Pelican, dropping into the Highland Mountains in the Viery Territory.
- The crashed Pelican's cockpit emits a radio conversation.
- The Covenant CCS-class battlecruisers hovering in the sky are not static; they wobble from side to side slightly.
A Spartan destroying a Banshee.