|“||A training facility located in the Highland Mountains, where Spartans are born.||”|
Mountain forest, UNSC training facility
Recommended number of players:
- Main article: Military Wilderness Training Preserve
Highlands is set in the Military Wilderness Training Preserve in the aptly named Highland Mountains on Reach. From 2517 to 2525, the SPARTAN-II program used this area for training the super soldiers on wilderness survival. Outside the map, the Big Horn River dominates the valley floor and in the distance, several CCS-class battlecruisers can be seen glassing Reach.
The middle of the map plays host to a D77-TC Pelican dropship, Bravo 001. During the Fall of Reach, members of SPARTAN-II Red Team deployed to the surface of Reach in Bravo 001 to defend the planet's orbital defense generators from Covenant assault. The Pelican was shot down and crash-landed in the Highland Mountains.
The following are locations on the map that are so named on the player's heads-up display during gameplay:
- Motor Pool
- Rock Arch
- Red Base
- Red Tower
- West Cave
- Rappelling Towers
- Blue Base
- Blue Tower
- Big Horn River
- Radio Tower
- Crash Site
- East Cave
- Out of bounds...
- During development Highlands was known as Training Preserve. Current files on Bungie.net are even labelled as Training Preserve instead of the map's final name.
- This is one of two maps to feature locations previously described in the novel Halo: The Fall of Reach, the other being Condemned.
- In the ringed section of The Big Horn river closest to the downed pelican, there are Koi fish. These fish can be shot and killed.
- The crashed Pelican's cockpit emits a radio conversation.
- The Covenant CCS-class battlecruisers hovering in the sky are not static; they wobble from side to side slightly.
A Spartan destroying a Banshee.