From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
|There is more information available on this subject at Risk on the English Wikipedia.|
Risk is a strategic board game produced by Hasbro. The objective of the game is "world domination," or "to occupy every territory on the board and in so doing, eliminate all other players." Players control armies with which they attempt to capture territories from other players, with results determined by dice rolls. Two Halo-themed Risk games have been produced, one based on Halo Wars and one on Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary.
The game's box art and map were created by Adam Sblendorio. The map's continents and territories were named by Graeme Devine and the team at Ensemble Studios. Devine named one of the territories - Roque - after his daughter. The board game's continent names have since been used in canon media.
RISK: Halo: Legendary Edition is the second Halo-themed version of Risk, released in 2011 and based around Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary. It features three playable factions - the UNSC, the Covenant and the Flood. The pieces include Marines, Scorpion tanks, SPARTAN-IIs and UNSC firebases. The Covenant's pieces are Grunts, Wraiths, and Arbiters, along with Covenant command bases. Flood pieces are Infection forms, Carrier forms, Juggernauts, and Proto-graveminds. This game includes three maps for play. The first map is a 3-5 player, 60" Halo ring that allows players to use a wide range of tactics and strategy that allows for long-term games. The second map is a 2-player map that is played on a 30" map of the campaign mission,"The Silent Cartographer", from Halo: Combat Evolved that allows for a fast-paced, strategic game. The third map is also a 2-player map that is played on a 30" map of the campaign mission, "Halo", also from Halo: Combat Evolved, that allows for a strategic, fast-paced game. The second and third maps combine to make the first map.
- Amazon, Risk Halo Wars Board Game (Retrieved on Jun 1, 2020) [archive]
- DeviantArt, RISK: Halo Wars Box Top (Retrieved on Jun 1, 2020) [archive]
- DeviantArt, RISK: Halo Wars Game Board: "This is the final approved game board for RISK: Halo Wars Collector's Edition. As the pieces are in bright translucent colors, it was important that they are clearly visible on the game board. This worked best by going very dark for the territories. Another goal was to have the board itself look like a digital tactical map even though it's clearly ink on paper, while also increasing the individual size of each territory to accommodate many pieces at anytime in the game. The planet is Arcadia and the territories & continents (sectors) were named by Graeme Devine and his team at Ensemble Studios." (Retrieved on Jun 1, 2020) [archive]
- Twitter, Graeme Devine (@zaphodgjd): "Wow. The Halo Wars version of Risk made this list! One of the territories might be named Roque (after my daughter)." (Retrieved on Oct 19, 2020) [archive]
- Joystiq, Want to control the Flood? Play Risk: Halo Wars: (defunct, Archive) (Retrieved on Jun 1, 2020) [archive]
- Team Xbox, RISK: Halo Wars Trailer: (defunct, Archive) (Retrieved on Jun 1, 2020) [archive]
- Amazon, RISK: Halo Legendary Edition (Retrieved on Jun 1, 2020) [archive]