UNSC Spirit of Fire
"WE'VE GOT A NEW CONTACT, UNKNOWN CLASSIFICATION!"This article has new content coming soon from Halo Wars 2 and Halo: Tales from Slipspace, and may not be complete, confirmed or correct. Please update it as soon as any relevant and accurate material is available.
|Spirit of Fire|
2,500 metres (8,200 ft)
800 metres (2,600 ft)
Fusion drives (eight thruster units)
A total of 11,000 personnel 
2473, refit for military service 2520
UNSC Spirit of Fire (hull classification symbol CFV-88) is a Phoenix-class support vessel in service with the UNSC Navy. Built in 2473, Spirit of Fire is a heavily modified colony ship. In 2531 her commanding officer was Captain James Cutter and her primary shipboard AI was Serina. After the crew sacrificed her slipspace drive to destroy the Forerunner shield world known as the Etran Harborage, the Spirit of Fire was forced into a slow return trip back to human space at sub-luminal velocities and was officially declared "lost with all hands" in 2534. After 28 years of drifting through space, the Spirit of Fire was mysteriously transported through slipspace to Installation 00 or the Ark, where the crew was forced into a conflict with the occupying Banished. While Serina perished during the journey as per her limited lifespan as a smart AI, the Spirit of Fire gained a new shipboard AI in Isabel, the only survivor of the Banished's attack on the UNSC outposts on the Ark.
- 1 History
- 2 Specifications
- 3 Crew
- 4 Military organization
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Gallery
- 7 List of appearances
- 8 Sources
The Spirit of Fire was originally a colony ship, transporting colonists as well as equipment such as hydroponics, atmosphere generators, and prefabricated schools, in the UNSC's expansion efforts.
More than fifty years after being constructed, it was recommissioned and refitted for military service prior to the period of history known as the Human-Covenant War. The last civilian captain of the Spirit of Fire was Captain Alexander, who had retired from active duty in the year 2520, on the 20th of July, after visiting the world of Verent. Directly after Alexander's retirement, the vessel was requisitioned by the UNSC and scheduled for refit in order to better prepare it for the combat operations in which it would participate.
The ship was refitted with three Magnetic Accelerator Cannons and other armaments to serve as a warship. Huge storage bays that used to house machine parts now carry everything from M12 Warthogs and M808B Scorpions to construction supplies for fire bases involved in front line engagements or in rearguard actions and repair equipment for herself and other ships and crew. In 2530 the Spirit of Fire's thrust assemblies were replaced from the destroyer UNSC Calcutta, increasing output by 37%.
The Spirit of Fire took part in the Harvest Campaign as part of Battlegroup D of Admiral Cole's Third Fleet, providing ground forces with supplies, reinforcements, vehicle support, orbital MAC strikes, air support and more, giving it a major role in the battle.
After the events on Harvest, the Spirit of Fire arrived at the planet Arcadia, where it assisted in the evacuation of civilians, and the eradication of the Covenant from the planet's surface. When Professor Anders was captured by the Arbiter Ripa 'Moramee, the Spirit of Fire quickly gave chase, following the Arbiter's flagship to an unknown planet in the Korinth Prior system. This planet eventually turned out to be a Forerunner Shield World, containing a fleet of Forerunner warships. To ensure that the Covenant would not be able to use these warships against humanity, the reactor that powered the Spirit of Fire's Shaw-Fujikawa Translight Engine was detonated inside the Shield World's artificial sun by Sergeant John Forge. The ship managed to escape the exploding Forerunner installation, but without a functioning slipspace drive, the journey home would take many years, if not decades. Most of the crew entered cryonic sleep at this point, with only a skeleton crew remaining active to run the ship.
Stranded in space
On February 10, 2534, the Spirit of Fire, previously designated as "missing", was declared "lost with all hands" by the UNSC. The reason for this change was kept top secret. A memorial service was held for the people aboard the vessel, but many of the crew's family members chose not to attend, holding out hope that their loved ones were still alive.
After the Human-Covenant War's conclusion, the Spirit of Fire was honored at the dedication of the living monument, along with numerous other ships that had been lost with all hands during the war.
Despite the measures imposed by the Chief Medical Officer O'Neil, at least one Flood infection form managed to infiltrate the ship at some point. Six years later in 2537, the infection form came into contact with one of the ship's technicians, infecting her and spreading the Flood infection to other crew members in cryo-sleep. In response, the now-rampant Serina imposed quarantine on the ship's cryo bays in an effort to study the parasite, inadvertently allowing the Flood to mature further from within. The Flood sought to escape confinement, forcing Jerome-092 to exterminate all infected crew and with the aid of Professor Anders went on to erase all remaining traces of the Flood parasite aboard the Spirit of Fire.
In the aftermath of the incident, Serina initiated her retirement from service and after composing a final status report that was to be left to Captain Cutter, finally self-terminated.
Around the same time, the Spirit of Fire had reached an unknown multiple star system and was drifting near a terrestrial planet.
In March 2558 the freighter, Pilgrims' Pride, was carrying several AC-220 Vultures and AV-22 Sparrowhawks that were previously attached to the Spirit of Fire. The Pilgrims Pride launched a surprise attack on the UNSC Infinity and attempted to self-destruct inside the Infinity's bay. The Spartans managed to eject the freighter out of the bay. They also saved the Pilgrims' Pride from total destruction by removing its exploding core. After recovering the remains of the attacking Vultures and Sparrowhawks, the crew used the ID numbers on the hulls to identify the ships as belonging to the Spirit of Fire. Confusing matters, the crew discovered that Pilgrims Pride had been constructed only five years earlier. While Commander Palmer speculated that the assault craft may have been stolen from the Spirit of Fire before the ship was lost, Roland pointed out that the assault craft were in fairly good condition for their age. Roland also determined that the freighter itself had been launched from Oth Lodon, a gas giant deep inside Jiralhanae-controlled space.
Despite the diplomatic risks, Lord Hood, who felt guilty over his role in the Spirit of Fire's disappearance, ordered the Infinity to investigate. When they arrived at the coordinates, they found not the Spirit but Shipmaster Vata 'Gajat's ship, which was docked to a massive glassing cannon. Captain Daniel Clayton contacted the Infinity, revealing himself to be aligned with the New Colonial Alliance. Intending to exact revenge on Lord Hood, Clayton fired three massive energy beams at the Infinity. However, five SPARTAN-IVs managed to enter the station, stop Clayton and used the cannon to destroy 'Gajat's flagship.
- Main article: Battle of Installation 00 (2559)
- "Where you see half a crew, Isabel, I see family, courage. And a thousand heroes who swore to fight their way through hell before they'd ever... EVER turn their backs and run. And where you see one old ship, I see home. And that is always worth fighting for!"
- —Captain James Cutter responding to Isabel's pleas to flee from the Banished.
In 2559, after 28 years of bring adrift, the Spirit of Fire was mysteriousy drawn through slipspace and came into orbit above Installation 00. There the crew encountered the Banished, a hostile mercenary group led by Atriox.
The Spirit of Fire is a former colony ship refit for use as a military support vessel.
The ship possesses dedicated factory modules located on the underside of the aft section, where robotic assembly lines can manufacture many of the UNSC vehicles and aircraft that comprise the Spirit of Fire's complement.
- This section needs expansion. You can help Halopedia by .
As a support vessel, the Spirit of Fire has a large complement of troops, subsidiary craft, vehicles, and base structures, along with the capability to construct and repair many of these.
Most of the ship's embarked ground forces are Marines, with at least the 45th Marine Regiment calling the ship home. Some of the snipers serving aboard the ship are drawn from UNSC Army cavalry scouts.
After the ship's arrival at the Ark, Isabel integrated the design blueprints of several modern UNSC vehicles to the Spirit of Fire's factory modules, bolstering the ship's existing complement of vehicles and craft. In addition, a number of intact D81-LRT Condor dropships were salvaged from the UNSC outposts and were mainly put to use in a similar capacity as the Spirit of Fire's extant D20 Herons. While these Condors possess slipspace drives, the Ark is far too distant from UNSC space for them to be used for a return trip. However, the crew was able to use their slipspace capabilities for long-range reconnaissance and the exploration of outlying Forerunner installations.
- This section needs expansion. You can help Halopedia by .
In addition to its pre-existing upgrades, during the ship's 28-year slower-than-light interstellar journey, Serina made a series of modifications and repairs across the ship; yet more were implemented by Isabel after her arrival on board, along with updated security and safety protocols. Following her arrival, Isabel scheduled 32,810 Critical System Updates and 1,201,924 Optional System Updates for implementation, expecting to complete them within 16 hours.
At the combat bridge, Serina improved the fire control matrix and trunk lines, providing 50% additional bandwidth. The ship's sensors remained operational following its arrival at the Ark, but the Ark's sentinels would register every use of active wide-range scans as an act of aggression, limiting effective visibility to a three light-second radius. In the observation deck, previously appropriated by Professor Anders as her onboard laboratory, Serina constructed new laboratory equipment and facilities, the function of most of which remained elusive to much of the crew apart from Anders. Berthing facilities remained limited at this time, with three out of four of the atmosphere scrubbers in berthing compartments one to five inoperable. The Naval crew moved out of these facilities, only for the 45th Marine Regiment to appropriate them for their own use, maintaining even they were an improvement to their previous accommodations.
The ship's factory modules remain operable by 2559, with Serina and later Isabel having made major upgrades to their usability and safety. However, these onboard factories lack both the mechanical capacity and design template to construct a new slipspace drive core. The port side of the ship, damaged in a collision with the Covenant destroyer Proclamation's Tithe, was also repaired, with all ten of the Spirit of Fire's D20 Heron dropships being operational.
Spirit of Fire Command
- Captain James Cutter — Commanding Officer (August 2525 - present)
- Isabel - Current primary shipboard AI (Replacement for Serina) (2559)
- Blake — Bridge crew
- Lieutenant commander Alys Vallum — Chief Engineer
- Lieutenant Green —Bridge crew
- O'Neil — Chief Medical Officer
- Andrew Prescott — former Chief Engineer
- Andrew Sandmoore — Doctor
- Lulu Hershey — Nurse
- Private D. Wilson
- Private D. Wood
- Private Papadakis
- Private G. R. Scott — Sniper detail
- Sergeant Allieri — Sniper team leader
- Lieutenant Colonel Morgan Kinsano — Hellbringer
- Spock — Ship's cat and mascot
- Serina — Primary shipboard AI; Afflicted with rampancy and self-terminated - January 4, 2537
- Chris — Killed in action co-piloting a Pelican to the UNSC Prophecy - February, 2531
- Sergeant John Forge — Killed in action during Battle of Shield World 0459 - February 25, 2531
- Terrence Hood — Former Executive officer; transferred to the UNSC Roman Blue (UNK - December 2530)
- Lieutenant Kwan — Killed by a Flood infection form, January 2537
- Violeta Maldini — Specialist; killed by a Flood infection form - January, 2537
- Dimitri — Killed by a Sangheili during the Battle of Installation 00 in 2559.
- Prof. Ellen Anders — Lead ONI scientist; forcibly teleported with Installation 04C to the Milky Way in 2559.
The following is a list of former captains of the Spirit of Fire, found painted on the side of the ship's hull:
- Coleman — (served 2473 to 2484)
- Rehkov — (served 2484 to 2491)
- Donald — (served 2491 to 2499)
- Johnson — (served 2499 to 2505)
- Roggan — (served 2507 to 2513)
- Alexander — (served 2513 to 2520)
- Fire Team Echo — wiped out circa 2531.
- Fire Team India — wiped out circa 2531.
- Fire Team Lima
- Fire Team November
In other languages
|Browse more images on this article's gallery page.|
- "Spirit of Fire" is a translation of one of the names of Fëanor, the arch-rival of the Dark Lord Morgoth in J. R. R. Tolkien's legendarium. Like Captain Carol Rawley's callsign, Foehammer, this is likely a deliberate Tolkien reference.
- Early concept art of Halo Wars suggests that a cat lived onboard the ship, possibly a pet to Captain Cutter. This is a possible reference to Jonesy, a cat that was lost aboard the UNSC Pillar of Autumn.
- The Spirit of Fire has its own onboard news publication, The Spirit.
The Spirit of Fire's Ship Emblem.
Concept art of the Spirit of Fire for Halo Wars.
A holotable on the bridge.
A hologram of the Spirit of Fire onboard the Infinity in Halo: Escalation.
A Flood infection form inside the Spirit's cryo-room.
The Spirit of Fire in Know Your Enemy.
The Spirit of Fire arrives at Installation 00 in Halo Mythos.
A hallway aboard the Spirit of Fire filled with UNSC Marines and Naval personnel in Halo Wars 2.
The Spirit of Fire launches a salvo of Archer missiles in support of ground forces on Installation 00.
List of appearances
- Halo Wars: Genesis (First appearance)
- Halo Wars
- Halo: Reach
- Dr. Halsey's personal journal (Mentioned only)
- Halo Living Monument (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Escalation
- Halo: Hunters in the Dark (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Fleet Battles
- Halo 5: Guardians (Weapon skin only)
- Know Your Enemy
- Halo Mythos
- Halo: Fractures
- Into the Fire (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Tales from Slipspace
- Halo: Smoke and Shadow (Mentioned only)
- Halo Wars 2
- ^ GameSpy: Halo Wars / Halo Universe Panel Live Blog
- ^ Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 188
- ^ Halo Encyclopedia, page 72 (2009); page 74 (2011)
- ^ a b c d e Halo Legendary Crate - Data Drop #4
- ^ a b Halo Wars 2, Phoenix Logs - Snipers
- ^ a b Halo Wars 2, Phoenix Logs - Condor Dropship
- ^ a b Halo Wars 2, Phoenix Logs - Condor Gunship
- ^ Halo Wars 2, Phoenix Logs - Nightingale
- ^ a b Halo Wars 2, Phoenix Logs - Jackrabbit
- ^ Halo Wars 2, Phoenix Logs - Kodiak
- ^ a b Official Halo Wars Community Site - Spirit of Fire
- ^ a b c Halo Mythos, page 70
- ^ a b Halo Encyclopedia, page 71
- ^ a b c Halo Wars 2, campaign level A New Enemy
- ^ a b Halo Wars: Genesis
- ^ a b c Halo Wars Timeline Events
- ^ Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 188
- ^ Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 180
- ^ Halo Living Monument
- ^ a b Halo: Escalation - Issue #6
- ^ Halo: Escalation, Issue #4
- ^ a b Halo: Escalation - Issue #5
- ^ Halo Mythos, page 200
- ^ Halo Wars 2, Phoenix Logs - Grizzly
- ^ Halo Wars 2, campaign level The Cartographer
- ^ Halo Wars, campaign level Cleansing
- ^ Halo Wars, campaign level Arcadia City