Hull classification symbol
A hull classification symbol, also known as a hull code, is assigned to each and every ship of the UNSC Navy. Different types and sizes of ship have different classification symbols. The hull code is composed of a symbol and a hull number. The hull numbers are usually assigned to each ship consecutively, though number sequences may be skipped for a variety of reasons (planned ships that were never commissioned or bureaucratic maneuvering, for example) and older numbers may be reused for new ships in order to "inherit" the identity of a particular storied vessel.
The symbol is based on the hull classification symbol system used by the United States Navy in the 20th and 21st centuries with a few differences. The symbols have a few things in common: a symbol beginning with "FF" generally denotes a frigate, "DD" a destroyer, "CA" a heavy cruiser, and "CV" a carrier. The rest of the letters vary depending on the type of vessel. There can be dozens of types of each class of vessel.
List of known symbols
- BL: Evacuation craft
- BL-9400493 (BL-9400493)
- DD: Destroyer
- FFG: Frigate
- OWP: Orbital Weapon Platform
- A - meaning currently unknown.
- C - meaning currently unknown.
- D - meaning currently unknown.
- O - Ordained signifies Forerunner technology incorporated into the vessel.
- P - meaning currently unknown.
- R - Reverence signifies that a ship can conduct reconnaissance missions, and is able to recover Forerunner artifacts.
- S - Salvation signifies that a ship possesses dedicated ship-to-ship combat capability.
- V - meaning currently unknown.
- Halo: Warfleet, p. 46-47
- Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Have S'moa
- Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Sweet Centennial
- Section 3 Old Chat Record Page 99
- Halo: Combat Evolved: Sybex Official Strategies & Secrets, page 60
- Bungie Weekly Update 01.29.10
- Halo: Warfleet, p. 26
- Halo Legendary Crate, Data Drop #2
- IGN.com: Halo 4 - "Adrift" Multiplayer Map Walkthrough With 343i
- Halo: Warfleet, p. 40
- Halo Mythos, pages 82-83
- Halo: Warfleet, p. 19
- Halo: Warfleet, pages 50-51
- Waypoint: The Halo Bulletin: 10.10.12
- Halo: Warfleet, p. 17