Hull classification symbol
The hull classification symbol is assigned to each and every ship of the UNSC Navy. Different types and sizes of ship have different classification symbols. Placed after the symbol is a number. Each ship of that class gets a different number. This way, the Hull Classification Symbol is a sort of numerical identification system for ships, other than their names.
The symbol based on the hull classification symbol system used by the United States Navy in the 20th and 21st centuries with few differences. The symbols have a few things in common, a symbol beginning with "FF" generally denotes a frigate, "DD" a destroyer, "CL" or "CA" a cruiser, "CV" a carrier, and "BB" a battleship. The rest of the letters vary depending on the type of vessel. There can be dozens of types of each class of vessel.
List of known symbols
- DD: Destroyer
- FFG: Frigate
- A - meaning currently unknown.
- C - meaning currently unknown.
- D - meaning currently unknown.
- O - Ordained signifies Forerunner technology incorporated into the vessel.
- P - meaning currently unknown.
- R - Reverence signifies that a ship can conduct reconnaissance missions, and is able to recover Forerunner artifacts.
- S - Salvation signifies that a ship possesses dedicated ship-to-ship combat capability.
- V - meaning currently unknown.
- ^ a b c d Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder: Have S'moa
- ^ Section 3 Old Chat Record Page 99
- ^ Halo: Combat Evolved: Sybex Official Strategies & Secrets, page 60
- ^ Bungie Weekly Update 01.29.10
- ^ a b c Halo Legendary Crate, Data Drop #2
- ^ IGN.com: Halo 4 - "Adrift" Multiplayer Map Walkthrough With 343i
- ^ Halo Mythos, pages 82-83
- ^ Waypoint: The Halo Bulletin: 10.10.12