Hull classification symbol
From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
A hull classification symbol, also known as a hull code or a registry, is assigned to UNSC starships of the UNSC Navy. Different types and sizes of ship have different codes. The hull code is composed of a symbol and a hull number. The hull numbers are usually assigned to each ship consecutively, though number sequences may be skipped for a variety of reasons (planned ships that were never commissioned or bureaucratic maneuvering, for example) and older numbers may be reused for new ships in order to "inherit" the identity of a particular storied vessel.
List of known symbols
- BL: Evacuation craft
- BL-9400493 (BL-9400493)
- DD: Destroyer
- FFG: Frigate
- OWP: Orbital Weapon Platform
- A - meaning currently unknown.
- C - meaning currently unknown.
- D - meaning currently unknown.
- O - Ordained signifies Forerunner technology incorporated into the vessel.
- P - meaning currently unknown.
- R - Reverence signifies that a ship can conduct reconnaissance missions, and is able to recover Forerunner artifacts.
- S - Salvation signifies that this is a dedicated warship capable of cleansing the enemies of the Covenant with holy fire.
- V - meaning currently unknown.
Non-canon and dubious canon appearances
- Main article: Silver Timeline
|This article contains information about the Silver Timeline, and is not a part of the established Halo canon.|
UNSC ships in the Silver Timeline maintain Hull classification symbols as well.
- DD: Destroyer
- FFG: Frigate
- UNSC Stalwart Dawn (FFG-4471)
The symbol is based on the hull classification symbol system used by the United States Navy in the 20th and 21st centuries with a few differences.
- Halo Waypoint, Canon Fodder - Have S'moa (Retrieved on Mar 16, 2021) [archive]
- Halo: Warfleet, p. 46-47
- Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual - PART 1: INTRODUCTIONS, UNSC Infinity Layout, page 14 & 15)
- Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide - Ships, page 186-189
- Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 162
- Halo Waypoint, Canon Fodder - Sweet Centennial: "Are UNSC hull numbers consecutive? e.g. is FUD 106 FFGs “older” than Aegis Fate?
Within a series, generally. But number sequences can be skipped for various reasons (planned ships that never get produced, bureaucratic maneuvering, etc) and older numbers reused for new ships in order to “inherit” the identity of a particular storied vessel." (Retrieved on Sep 24, 2021) [archive]
- Section 3 Old Chat Record: Page 99
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 35
- Halo: Combat Evolved: Sybex Official Strategies & Secrets, p. 60
- Bungie Weekly Update: 01.29.10
- Halo: Warfleet, p. 26
- Halo Legendary Crate, Data Drop #2
- IGN.com: Halo 4 - "Adrift" Multiplayer Map Walkthrough With 343i
- Halo: Warfleet, p. 40
- Halo Mythos, p. 82-83
- Halo Waypoint, Canon Fodder - Digsite Dissection (Retrieved on Jul 28, 2023) [archive]
- Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Retaliation #07 - Red Tide
- Halo: Warfleet, p. 19
- Halo: Warfleet, p. 50-51
- Halo Waypoint: The Halo Bulletin: 10.10.12