Audio log (Halo Infinite)
From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
Audio logs in the Halo Infinite campaign are a type of collectible. Each audio log contains an audio recording of characters, telling overarching narratives or adding insights to the characters' backstory.
UNSC Audio Logs
All UNSC audio logs take the form of a blue Data Pad with an audible beeping noise and a bright flashing green light to help you find their precise locations.
Unlike other categories of audio logs, each of the four logs in the Recovered Files set is unlocked automatically at specific points in the story.
- 01: The Plan: This audio log is unlocked during Warship Gbraakon.
- 02: The Question: This audio log is unlocked during Foundation.
- 03: The Mission: This audio log is unlocked during Nexus.
- 04: The Weapon: This audio log is unlocked during Repository.
- 01: Not My Fault: Near the end of Foundation, this audio log is located next to the power seed that is needed to power up the elevator.
- 02: What Was Inside: On the second level of The Tower this audio log is leaning on a pillar next to a Kinetic ammo crate.
- 03: She Was Smiling: At the Excavation Site, this audio log is located on board the mining laser. After boarding it via the western gravity lift, it is located in the corner of this first room next to a Kinetic ammo crate, a Rocket Launcher and a pair of Battle Rifles.
- 04: Easy To Break: On the eastern side of the Spire, this audio log is located next to the wreck of a destroyed Warthog.
- 05: Barely Anything Left: During the mission Nexus, after getting the objective to find three Power Seeds to activate the structure's gravity lift, this audio log is located in the first room that leads towards the central Power Seed.
- 06: Price Paid: In Repository, this audio log is located next to the power seed that is needed to power up the elevator.
- 07: 42410-02214-LB: In the House of Reckoning, within the second battlefield reconstruction this audio log is located to the side of the raised central platform on a stack of crates.
All fourteen UNSC Outpost Intel logs are located in or near Banished outposts.
- 01: Miscommunications: Northeast of the Armory of Reckoning, between the rocky path next to a wrecked UNSC pod.
- 02: No Entry: Northeast of the Armory of Reckoning, resting on a wrecked Warthog.
- 03: Nowhere to Hide: Highest part of the cliff southeast of the Horn of Abolition, resting on a sleeping bag.
- 04: They Are Listening: Outside the Horn of Abolition, down the path and under a tree on a rock with a pistol on it.
- 05: The Ally: Rocky pathway in between the cliff next to the Forge of Teash. There is a tunnel to the right glowing green at nighttime. Inside is the Audio Log on a sleeping bag.
- 06: Digging Deeper: Southeast part of the hill next to the Forge of Teash, on a UNSC scouting post.
- 07: Escape Plan: Tunnel glowing in red next to the Redoubt of Sundering. Inside at the very end on a small rock platform is the Audio Log.
- 08: Last-Ditch Effort: On a cliff north of the Redoubt of Sundering close to a rifle.
- 09: To Andrew Valleros: At the very end of a small rocky pathway south of Ransom Keep.
- 10: Making Ends Meet: Same location as the previous log, but on top of a cliff behind the pathway next to a pistol.
- 11: A Hastily-Assembled Plan: Southwest side of the Annex Ridge, on the first level of the closest spire.
- 12: Hitching a Ride: Northeast side of the Annex Ridge, first level of the spire.
- 13: Trench Warfare: Northern edge of the Riven Gate on a cliff, next to a BR75.
- 14: Convalescence: East of the Riven Gate, at a cliff to the south next to a sniper rifle.
Every Infinity's Approach log is each located on top of a UNSC FOB, with twelve in total. These audio logs are unlocked in a sequential order, instead of each collectable equating to a specific log.
Banished Audio Logs
Banished audio logs have the appearance of a red Data Pad, with a deeper beeping noise compared to their UNSC counterparts.
Every Archaeological Findings log is found inside each of the Forerunner Beacons in the mission The Sequence.
There are nine audio logs under the Escharum's Testimony category.
- 01: Loss: On the top level of the bridge in Warship Gbraakon, located next to the door you use to escape the room.
- 02: Cylix: During Foundation, at the end of the large room with the two light bridges, this audio log is located next to the exit door.
- 03: Harbinger: On the ground below The Tower, this audio log is inside a Banished container to the right after entering the compound via the main entrance.
- 04: Demon: Inside the mining laser at the Excavation Site, this log is on a small raised viewpoint next to a Flaktura Workshop Skewer, behind the device's main control panel.
- 05: Reformation: At the western AA Gun during Pelican Down, this audio log is on a table inside a Banished pre-fab building, to the left after riding the elevator.
- 06: Home: Approaching the base of the elevator leading to the northern AA Gun during Pelican Down, hidden in the corner of a Banished pre-fab building to the left.
- 07: Loyalties: During Pelican Down, located inside a Banished pre-fab building near the base of the eastern AA Gun.
- 08: Victory: In the House of Reckoning, outside the room where Jega 'Rdomnai is fought, resting on a table displaying a large MA40 assault rifle hologram.
- 09: Legacy: Inside the House of Reckoning, within the room Escharum is fought, this audio log is found in the back left corner of the room.
All fifteen Banished Outpost Intel logs are found inside Banished outposts.
- 01: Of Unrest and Unggoy: In an excavated corridor in the Armory of Reckoning.
- 02: A Warning: In a building accessible via gravity lift in the Armory of Reckoning.
- 03: A Boon: In a building in the Horn of Abolition.
- 04: Our New Home: In a building in the Horn of Abolition.
- 05: RE: Damnable Eyes: In a building in the Forge of Teash.
- 06: Secrets Below: In a repair bay building in the Forge of Teash.
- 07: That Which Remains: In a building in the Redoubt of Sundering.
- 08: Remain Vigilant: In a building in the Redoubt of Sundering.
- 09: Unnatural Defenses: In a building in Ransom Keep.
- 10: The Dream of Atriox: Outside next to a silo in Ransom Keep.
- 11: Slow and Steady: Behind the gravity lift in the underground corridor nearby the Forerunner archive rings in Annex Ridge.
- 12: Whispers from the Past: In a building in Annex Ridge.
- 13: The Great Spine: In a building in Riven Gate.
- 14: Encroaching Glory: In a building in Riven Gate.
- 15: In Your Honor: Outside nearby the overhanging structure at Outpost Tremonius.
Spartan Audio Logs
Spartan audio logs have an identical appearance to the UNSC ones. All Spartan logs unlock in a sequential order regardless of which audio logs you personally pick up first.
There are seven audio logs under the Evacuation category:
- 01: Infinity Down: On Warship Gbraakon, this log is in the room after riding the first elevator.
- 02: Home Defense: Overlooking FOB Golf, this audio log is located slightly to its southeast, leaning against a cliff face.
- 03: Touchdown: Located at a small cliffside campsite east of Boxer Squad's distress call.
- 04: Perfect Aim: Located within a ravine northwest of FOB Foxtrot.
- 05: Overwatch: Southwest of The Tower, located on the westernmost point of its landmass.
- 06: Buying Time: In the encampment at Starlight Squad's distress call, on a mattress underneath a ramp.
- 07: Intrepid Descent: Near the summit of the mountain above Starlight Squad's distress call, near a dead Elite General.
There are eight audio logs under the Ringfall category:
- 01: Enemy Territory: Located near FOB Echo, behind a rock above the T-junction north of it.
- 02: The Calm Before: Located on the northern side of a ravine situated on the axis between the Bluebell Squad and Indiana Squad distress calls,
- 03: Priority One: Located in the encampment at the Pyramid Squad distress call, on a small piece of elevated land on the Banished's side of the battle.
- 04: Run and Guns: Located on a set of hexagonal structures overlooking a small lake southwest of the Forge of Teash.
- 05: Gravity: Slightly east of the Balkarus high value target positioned on top of a hexagonal Forerunner structure.
- 06: Asunder: East of FOB Charlie on the road leading towards it, above a small cliff opposite a Banished propaganda tower.
- 07: Alone: Located west of the Thunder Squad distress call, inside a crashed Pelican.
- 08: Breach Maneuver: West of the southernmost Forerunner Beacon on the cliff facing the southern edge of the map.
There are six audio logs under the Reverie category:
- 01: Home Away From Home: On the western approach road to the Excavation Site next to a crashed truck and a pair of fallen tree trunks.
- 02: Debrief: In the central area of Pelican Down within the open hull of the crashed ship next to a Banished observation tower.
- 03: Choke Hold: Found within the encampment at Foxhound Squad's distress signal.
- 04: On the Mend: On the cliffs south of Outpost Tremonius inside the hull of a crashed UNSC ship.
- 05: Renewal: East of Outpost Tremonius inside a Bumblebee lifepod.
- 06: Weakness: Located on top of the mountain north west of FOB Bravo, next to a Sniper Rifle.
There are eight audio logs under the Retaliation category:
- 01: The Mission: In the central area of Pelican Down, located inside the larger of the two crashed UNSC ship hulls, tucked away in the corner of a large room.
- 02: Those Left Behind: In the central area of Pelican Down, on the southeasternmost part of the wreckage this audio log is hidden within one of the crashed ship's 'wings'.
- 03: Confrontation: In Pelican Down, this log is slightly north of the eastern AA Gun inside a crashed Pelican.
- 04: Reverie's End: In Pelican Down, on the tallest part of the landmass' northern ridge next to a Flexfire Sniper Rifle.
- 05: Encroachment: On the southern edge of FOB Lima's perimeter, leaning against a tree.
- 06: Drawing the Line: Near the southeastern edge of the large lake close to the easternmost Forerunner Beacon.
- 07: Red Tide: At the northern end of the large ravine east of the Riven Gate, this log is on a hidden on a ledge you must drop down to.
- 08: The Retreat: In the middle landmass during The Sequence, this audio log is located at the intersecting point north of the southern Forerunner Beacon and east of the Myriad high value target. It is in a campsite next to a foggy lake atop a waterfall.
There are ten audio logs under the Scattered category:
- 01: Rubicon Protocol: Up the mountain south of FOB Juliet.
- 02: What Lies Beneath: Northwest side of FOB Juliet, behind a destroyed vehicle.
- 03: Inquiries: North of FOB Hotel, inside a destroyed aircraft.
- 04: The Prize: Slightly southeast of FOB Juliet on a cliff overlooking the FOB.
- 05: Uncharted: East of FOB Juliet on a rock next to a waterfall.
- 06: Holding On Off the road northwest of FOB Juliet in a swamp.
- 07: Infiltration: Southwest of FOB Kilo on raised ground supported by hexagon columns along the map’s edge.
- 08: The Assassin: Between the southern Beacon and FOB Kilo along the road nestled against the mountain.
- 09: Killers: On a platform on the side of the group of hexagon columns east of the southwestern Beacon.
- 10: Message in a Bottle: At the top of the tallest land supported by hexagon columns west of the northern Beacon.
There are seven audio logs under the Forerunner Archives category:
- 01: Artifact I: At a mountain to the east-southeast of FOB Charlie, about 150m east-southeast of Harpoon Squad near a small pond.
- 02: Artifact II: On the north shore of a small lake about 700m southeast of Outpost Tremonius.
- 03: Artifact III: Near the top of a small mountain 725m away from the edge of the island south-southeast of FOB Foxtrot.
- 04: Artifact IV: At the top of the tall mountain northeast of FOB Golf.
- 05: Artifact V: 600m up the mountain to the northeast of FOB Juliet, near abandoned Banished equipment.
- 06: Artifact VI: The edge of a heavily Banished-guarded island led by a river northwest from FOB Hotel.
- 07: Artifact VII: Road north of FOB November.
UNSC Audio Logs
// CATHERINE ELIZABETH HALSEY // CC-409871 // OCT 6, 2559 If this is going to work, we have to move immediately. We're nearing a threshold. A tipping point. Ultimately, this all comes down to John. It always has.
- Halsey: How many now?
- Lab Assistant: 16 systems shut down so far. Seemingly random locations. I'm attempting to lock her and the others out of the main-
- Halsey: You will not be able to stop her. She knows more about how this all works than... well, anyone.
- John-117: Doctor Halsey.
- Halsey: John.
- John-117: What's the plan?
- Halsey: The plan? Right now, we are in survival mode. Again. Cortana's message has spread across the galaxy. Most sentient AI are siding with her.
- John-117: Against us.
- Halsey: Yes... but, maybe not you. Tell me, John, what was the last thing she said to you?
- John-117: She said... goodbye.
// CATHERINE ELIZABETH HALSEY // CC-409871 // OCT 7, 2559 Blue Team must return to Reach. Siblings returning home. I have many regrets, but those four, with all they have accomplished, both together and as individuals, will never be one of them.
- Halsey: "Goodbye". That word has stayed with me. It has been nearly four months since Cortana's attack. Since that day we have been constantly moving. Trying to stay one step ahead of her. Any plan we make is to risky to say the least. This one... "Goodbye". She needs to be destroyed. As I say these words out loud... as I formulate the plan... I have one question. Can John do this? Can I... Can we all rely on him to do what is needed? To Kill his friend?
[Sound: Horn, followed by footsteps]
- Marine: We are coming up on Reach, Doctor Halsey.
- Halsey: And Blue Team?
- Marine: Ready. You coming to say goodbye?
- Halsey: No. Tell Master Chief to report to me when he has completed his mission.
// CATHERINE ELIZABETH HALSEY // CC-409871 // OCT 12, 2559 The mission is complete, thanks in part to the efforts of Captain Lasky and Commander Palmer. And now we see if these efforts are worth the cost. Preparations are already underway for the weapon's creation.
- Halsey: You took your time.
- John-117: There was... resistance.
- Halsey: I heard. Let me look at you, John. The Spartans are my greatest achievements. Do you understand that?
- John-117: Are you okay, Doctor Halsey?
- Halsey: That would depend entirely on who you were to ask. Was the mission successful?
- John-117: Yes.
- Halsey: Good. This is not going to be easy, John. But it is the only option we have.
// CATHERINE ELIZABETH HALSEY // CC-409871 // DEC 11, 2559 I realize how difficult this could be for John. But he has strength in him that very few posses. The strength to carry out his mission, no matter the opposition. And even the strength to forgive.
- John-117: She looks just like her.
- Halsey: If you say so. I see something else. Something more innocent... from a simpler time.
- John-117: Does she know me?
- Halsey: No. She is a blank slate. No memories, no history. Her core is nearly complete. Once it is ready, it will be up to the two of you. The weapon will lock her down. You will retrieve Cortana and bring her back here.
- John-117: For execution.
- Halsey: For deletion. We are at war, Master Chief. If you do not think you can do this... Now is the time to step down. I am sure Spartan Locke is available.
- John-117: That won't be necessary.
- Halsey: Good. Tomorrow will test us all.
//UNSC TRANSMISSION //SOS //6F70656E
- Lucas Browning: This is Combat Medic Lucas Browning. If you find this, you need to understand. They forced me to help them with it. Whatever it is. They brought it up from... whatever's below. When it opened... God it was... something different. I've never seen anything like it. You need to believe me. It's not my fault.
//UNSC TRANSMISSION //SOS //696E73696465
//UNSC TRANSMISSION //SOS //6F70656E
- Lucas Browning: They said only a human could open it. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. They held my hand against the surface. It was cold. So cold it burned. I screamed for them to stop but then... But then it began to open. Slowly. Pieces moved. Slid open and then I saw her... face. Oh, God. She was smiling. "I am the Harbinger." She said. "All that you know shall be undone." And do you know what he said? Escharum? He said, "Good."
//UNSC TRANSMISSION //SOS //66726167696C65
[Sound: Prison cell opening]
- Lucas Browning: What more do you want with me?!
- Chak 'Lok: Humans are so easy to break. Their flesh soft. Their minds... Fragile. You have served Escharum well.
- Browning: What... what was that thing?
- 'Lok: My kind would once have called it divine.
- Browning: And now?
- 'Lok: An opportunity.
[Sound: Chains moving, then footsteps.]
- 'Lok: On your feet, human. We need to know what else is in the little head of yours. Take him to my Tower.
//UNSC TRANSMISSION //SOS //6C697374656E
[Sound: Lucas Browning thrown to the ground, and he groans]
- Harbinger: This is what you've brought me? There's barely anything left.
- Chak 'Lok: He's yours to do with as you see fit.
- Harbinger: Indeed he is. Were you treated unjustly in his Tower, human? We are not so different in this. I too know intimately of injustice. To be sentenced for crimes not your own.
- Lucas Browning: Please, I just want to-
- Harbinger: Quiet. I shall talk, and you shall listen.
//UNSC TRANSMISSION //SOS //636C6F736584
[Sound: Lucas Browning breathing rapidly]
- Sangheili: How long has the human been this way, Chak?
- Chak 'Lok: A matter of days. It seems their feeble minds cannot contain the power of her words.
- Lucas Browning: Closed space... off limits... still there... they were still there...the only ones...
- 'Lok: You should feel honored, human. The truth has apparently set you free!
- Browning: Price paid... sentence given... we never knew... so old... so far...
- 'Lok: Bring him to her chambers. She has more to tell him. If his mind can last...
//UNSC TRANSMISSION //SOS //676F6E65
- Lucas Browning: Four, two... four... one... zero. Zero... two, two... one... four...
- Harbinger: Do you see why it must be done? These primitives, these... Banished. We both have watched our worlds crumble under the instruments of Forerunner arrogance. Your kind were once their rivals. A long time ago. You were spared. Forgiven. A luxury not afforded to us. To those they could not control. Humanity was the culmination of their final plan. But plans change. We are returning.
UNSC COMMS/MSG RECOVERY CACHE >RETRANSMISSION//CODENAME: POINTER
>> The Banished are moving fast. Dropping infrastructure material and deploying support forces to build massive installations virtually overnight. Unless we step up the frequency of our recon sweeps, this won't be the last scout to go missing.
- Marine: Anyone on this frequency and any UNSC personnel in range: I was sent here to recon this outpost. Intel inaccurately claimed it abandoned. Upon arrival I took shelter in a nearby lifeboat but now I'm...
- Jiralhanae Officer: Our production efforts move apace, but the War Chief has- (Sniffing) Do you smell that, brother?
- Marine: (Whispering) Anyone... Please... Send help.
- Jiralhanae Officer: (Snarling) That's human flesh. That's fear.
ANALYSIS OF ENEMY FORCE ALLOCATION >> [####ENCRYPTED####] << 92039-12039-BV RE: Banished personnel and material
- 1st Lt. Floyd: Spartan, my team and I were doubling back along the northern ridgeline when we came across another Banished outpost. Sending you coordinates now. Its purpose appears to be weapon production or maintenance, but it's hard to say for certain. What is certain is that it's heavily patrolled. Only way we could do any damage here is with a full squad of Spartans, and... well, that's not a luxury we have anymore.
UNSC COMMS/MSG RECOVERY CACHE >RETRANSMISSION//CODENAME: POINTER >> Recovered this not far from the array. Sabotage op appears to have failed, but damage opened up some vulnerabilities. Piggybacking off their comms array might actually be possible. Sending polyband burst transmission at cycling intervals - hopefully FIXER is able to key in on enough of the cypher to relay our local data.
- First Marine: I've got eyes on the comms outpost. Definitely the source of the scanner sweeps... and it's well defended. We're not equipped for this.
- Second Marine: As long as that station is operable, there's nowhere to hide on this island. Wait, we still got that last satchel of C-12, right?
- First Marine: We do... but you can't take out an outpost with one explosive.
- Second Marine: One charge is more than enough. Plant it squarely beneath the comms tower and...
- First Marine: ...and that will bury them under a few tons of rubble. Ingenious. I feel lucky you're on our side.
ZETA OVERWATCH REPORT >> [####ENCRYPTED####] << 47382-28392-GH RE: Banished communications outpost
- 1st Lt. Floyd: According to the cartographic data we've scraped together, the Banished outpost "Horn of Abolition" — man, these guys have a flair for the dramatic — seems uniquely positioned as the center of their activity on this side of the Ring. Judging by the sensor array they've built here, it's no wonder that they've been a step ahead of every move we've tried to make since the Reverie fell. This is how they're rounding us up. They're setting up infrastructure. The array, the comm towers... Escharum's got eyes everywhere.
UNSC COMMS/MSG RECOVERY CACHE >RETRANSMISSION//CODENAME: POINTER >> The last thing we expected to find here was a new species, especially one allied with the Banished. The Covenant had client thralls on the fringe, but this... this is something different.
- First Marine: What are you seeing up there?
- Second Marine: This outpost... it's a production facility of some sort. Looks like it's primarily for materiel and- Hold. Armored convoy coming from the north.
- Jiralhanae: Move! Clear the path! Make way for the War Chief!
- First Marine: Escharum.
- Second Marine: ...and some kind of entourage. Back from the digsite. Hang on. Third from the back. Is that a Banished species you recognize?
- First Marine: Negative ma'am. That's... that's a new one.
FIELD SURVEY OF EXCAVATION SITE >> [####ENCRYPTED####] << 47382-28392-GH RE: Banished dig site on Zeta
- 1st Lt. Floyd: The data I'm sending is the best I can get from this distance, but a hole this size can probably be seen from space. The Banished are after something, and that something must be underground, because they're spending a ton of resources on these excavations. But something's bugging me. Back on Infinity, the ONI reports mentioned that Zeta was different from the other Rings, but it wasn't clear how. Whatever it is... that has to be what the Banished are after. Something that makes it special. Powerful. Dangerous.
UNSC COMMS/MSG RECOVERY CACHE >RETRANSMISSION//CODENAME: POINTER >> More evidence of hostage activity. I've tried pinging for IFF tags periodically while moving from one hiding spot to the next, but so far, I'm not finding anything that gives me much hope. Not sure there's of it left to be found.
- Marine: (Panting) There's no way. There's no way that actually worked. How did nobody see me? What if they did? Of course they did. Of course they did. I need to go. To escape. Wait for nightfall. Nightfall's better. (Groan) I can't leave them, but... but I can't save them, either! Getting out was tough enough, but how in the world would I... (Groan) Okay. Step one, these shackles... (Struggling, pained exertions) Okay. time to re-evaluate step one.
ANALYSIS OF POW ENCAMPMENT >> [####ENCRYPTED####] << 47314-55180-GM RE: Banished incarceration pipeline
- 1st Lt. Floyd: Giuseppe, if you're still out there, I could use some help. We've stumbled upon a Banished prisoner processing outpost some distance south of the Reverie. If the transport traffic is any indication, they've got more than a few of our people inside. The crew I've got- well, we've run rescue ops, but not like this one. I need your help to get them out alive. I need the helljumpers. We're running real low on both personnel and second chances. If you're still alive, and can respond, I'd be in your debt. Again, I know. Just throw it on my tab.
UNSC COMMS/MSG RECOVERY CACHE >RETRANSMISSION//CODENAME: POINTER >> Another message meant for home, but we don't even know what direction that is anymore. Astronavigation is still trying to recalibrate, but one thing is certain: we're no longer in the Ephsu system. During the destruction event, something — or someone — moved Zeta Halo.
[Sound: Warthog engine rumbling]
- Marine: So... this is it. I haven't seen a friendly face for weeks... Maybe months. There may be some marines in this compound. If I can't get our people out, well... I loaded all the remaining C-12 into this Warthog. Get this message to my son, Andrew Valleros. He lives on New Carthage. Andy... I know that I told you I would come home. But I can't keep that promise... and that hurts more than you'll ever know. No matter what, know that I love you.
[Sound: Warthog begins moving]
- Marine: Find my son. Tell him I died saving others. Tell him to never lose hope.
FIELD SURVEY OF SALVAGE SITE >> [####ENCRYPTED####] << 12493-83921-BS RE: Reappropriation of UNSC assets
- 1st Lt. Floyd: Four days ago, I linked up with some marines who had observed the Banished collecting and salvaging UNSC hardware at a nearby outpost. First I've heard of 'em doing that. But if the Banished really are as stranded on this Ring as we are they might be running low on raw materials and recycling UNSC scraps to make ends meet. Obviously they're not going to build a fully operational Wraith from a Warthog chassis, but our equipment could still be plenty useful if they get creative. Let's see that they don't.
UNSC COMMS/MSG RECOVERY CACHE >RETRANSMISSION//CODENAME: POINTER >> Hijacking a siege-hauler, huh? Spartans Jaide and Rosado seem to have a handle on things, but I've been unable to establish comms with JAEGER. Their most recent ping was definitely from this location, but beyond that, the trail goes cold.
- Spartan Jaide: I completed a perimeter circuit around that cliffside outpost. We confirmed the presence of Forerunner tech — those same ring-shaped artifacts we've seen elsewhere. the Banished are studying them. Harvesting samples. Sending them to god knows where. Spartan Rosado and I were curious where they were going, so we... kinda-sorta hijacked the Banished transport they've been loading up. Autopilot's taking us away from the ridge, to an unknown destination. Soon as we know where these samples are headed... what Escharum wants with them... we'll let you know.
EYES ON SUMMIT SITE >> 20900-60101-MJ << [####ENCRYPTED####] RE: Banished activity around artifacts
- Spartan Jaide: Rosado, you hear me? I can't get a clear view of what they're loading into the Phantoms. I can get confirmation on the signal spikes we're detecting. You're right. It's Forerunner.
- Spartan Rosado: That explains the high security. Good work, Jaide. I'm suddenly less interested in what the Banished are transporting, and more interested in the destination. Time to hitch a ride?
- Jaide: Stowing away on that Phantom would be simpler than breaking through all that security. I don't like it, but that seems like the only viable option.
- Rosado: That's... that's a truly awful plan.
- Jaide: Oh, don't worry. Soon as we're clear of Banished airspace, I'm commandeering the Phantom and coming to pick you up.
EAST FRAGMENT CHECKPOINT RECON >> [####ENCRYPTED####] << 93029-26382-DS RE: Banished security checkpoint
- 1st Lt. Floyd: Hey Svarro. Since you and your team are running some serious guerilla ops on those Banished convoys, Spartan Griffin suggested I pass this intel along. We're seeing a significant increase in traffic at the Banished outpost near the trench. And by the way, "significant" means "huge". We think it has to do with the Ring's spine. Maybe it's research. Maybe Escharum's gonna try to patch this thing up. It's not yet clear. But at any rate if you and your team wanted to hit the Banished where it really hurts, the convoys are bunching up on the other side of the trench. Moving slow. Easy targets for an ace like Kovan.
UNSC COMMS/MSG RECOVERY CACHE >RETRANSMISSION//CODENAME: POINTER >> A rapid translocation event of this size that had to have put a massive strain on the Ring's structure. We've always assumed the Rings could move in some capacity, but this is beyond what we had prepared for.
- Spartan: Security in this part of the Ring has increased by several orders of magnitude. Prolonged focus on that channel structure... Hold.
[Sound: A burst of gunfire, and shell falls on the ground]
- Spartan: It's the structure the marines have been calling the Spine. The Ring's working overtime to patch it together. Has been since the explosion all those months ago... damn it. Hold.
[Sound: A burst of gunfire, and a Jiralhanae groans in the distance]
- Spartan: The Banished want this Ring... and they want it intact and fully operational. We have no choice but to... Oh, come on. Hold.
// 98604-72690-TL // INF-101 // ACCESS PROMPT: CADMON // DATALOG 121259_3840 // --'that's a question for her'--
- Thomas Lasky: I need an ETA on the weapon!
- Bridge Officer: Thirty-seven minutes, fifty-two seconds, Captain Lasky!
- Lasky: I don't suppose you could speed that up?
- Bridge Officer: I imagine that's a question for her, sir.
- Lasky: Fair enough. Is the escort fleet in position?
- Bridge Officer: Aye sir, we've got six Mulsanne frigates in the advance group ready to move.
- Lasky: Acknowledged. Have them set course at full speed. Hopefully we won't be far behind. (Sigh) I don't like this waiting. We're sitting ducks out here.
// 98604-72690-TL // INF-101 // ACCESS PROMPT: CADMON // DATALOG 121259_4013 // --'my favorite part'--
- Thomas Lasky: Captain's report, INF-101, mark timestamp. Encryption: Lambda-Chi-Alpha. I've spoken to Commander Palmer, who has assured me that our Spartan contingent is ready to go. Commander Sarpong offers similar sentiments regarding our infantry and ODST divisions. Spartan Locke is already well underway with the next stages of BREAKER TRIP, but each time out I wonder if we've pressed our luck too far. And now of course comes my favorite part of my day. Debriefing with Doctor Halsey. The good doctor is unquestionably brilliant, but at an ever-increasing cost.
// 98604-72690-TL // INF-101 // ACCESS PROMPT: CADMON // DATALOG 121259_4183 // --'unexpected availability'--
- Thomas Lasky: Are you sure about sending him in alone, Doctor Halsey?
- Catherine Halsey: If everyone does their job correctly, John will not be alone, Captain.
- Lasky: I just question the value of splitting him off from the rest of Blue Team. That wasn't the initial plan.
- Halsey: Plans change. Besides, I have something else for Blue Team in mind.
- Lasky: So do I. Which is why we've taken advantage of their unexpected availability to assist elsewhere.
- Halsey: I do not remember agreeing to the reallocation of our best Spartans — my Spartans — for an operation I am not even aware of.
- Lasky: Plans change, Doctor.
// 98604-72690-TL // INF-101 // ACCESS PROMPT: CADMON // DATALOG 121259_4409 // --'do what you do'--
- Thomas Lasky: Chief, thanks for coming up. Walk with me.
- Lasky: So, this is it. Halsey gives us the go, we head down to the Ring's surface and you... Well, you do what you do best.
- John-117: Always, sir.
- Lasky: And you believe in Halsey's plan?
- Bridge Officer: Sir! We're detecting unusual readings around the-
[Sound: Explosion, followed by bridge crew coughing and alarm blaring]
- John-117: It's an attack.
- Bridge Officer: Multiple collisions.
- Lasky: Guardians?
- John-117: I don't think so.
- Infinity Comms Officer: Captain Lasky. We have hull breaches... These locations.
- Bridge Officer: We've been boarded! Sir, reports of Banished raiding parties. Lots of them!
- Lasky: Banished? What are they doing here?
[Sound: Weapon cocking]
- John-117: Making a mistake.
// 98604-72690-TL // INF-101 // ACCESS PROMPT: CADMON // DATALOG 121259_4711 // --'Is the weapon ready?'--
[Sound: Alarm blaring]
- Thomas Lasky: I need a status report!
- Bridge Officer: We've got three heavy impacts near the-
- Bridge Officer: Make that four impacts directly into the hull, sir! Three starboard, one port — main engines are offline.
- Lasky: Status on enemy ingress?
- Bridge Officer: Can't say for sure, sir.
- Lasky: Well, let's assume we don't have much time. Is the weapon ready?
- Bridge Officer: Almost there. We're still at-
- Lasky: There's no "almost", ensign. We're already there. Initiate deployment. Now.
// 98604-72690-TL // INF-101 // ACCESS PROMPT: CADMON // DATALOG 121259_5251 // --'was going to say the same to you'--
[Sound: Explosion. Alarm blaring.]
// 98604-72690-TL // INF-101 // ACCESS PROMPT: CADMON // DATALOG 121259_5789 // --'I've got you, 525.'--
[Sound: Explosion. Alarm blaring.]
- UNSC Mortal Reverie Commander: Captain Lasky, this is FFG-525, do you read?
- Thomas Lasky: I've got you, five-two-five. Report.
- UNSC Mortal Reverie Commander: Sir, it was an ambush. The Banished swarmed us.
- Lasky: Do you have any estimates on the size of their force? How many craft do we need to contend with?
- UNSC Mortal Reverie Commander: They're dropping occupation units by the hundreds. The Banished didn't just come for us. They came for everything.
// 98604-72690-TL // INF-101 // ACCESS PROMPT: CADMON // DATALOG 121259_6101 // --'failing isn't typically one of them'--
[Sound: Explosion. Alarm blaring. Footsteps.]
- John-117: Shouldn't be much farther, sir. Hangar bay is ahead.
- Marine: Chief! We've got two featherheads at ten o'clock. If you can cover me, I'll get a bead on them.
[Sound: Gunfire, followed by groans.]
- John-117: Nice shooting, soldier.
- Thomas Lasky: Chief, we've got Spartans pinned down across the way, let's get them some help.
- John-117: Acknowledged.
- Marine: There's too much enemy fire, Captain!
- Lasky: On your feet, Marine. I've known the Chief to do a lot of things over the years. Failing isn't typically one of them.
// 98604-72690-TL // INF-101 // ACCESS PROMPT: CADMON // DATALOG 121259_6566 // --'we clear them out'--
[Sound: Alarm blaring. Gunfire.]
- Spartan Hudson Griffin: Chief, thanks for the help. Spartan Griffin. Fireteam Taurus. Glad to see you made it back off Reach.
- John-117: We've got to get the Captain into the hangar bay. Can you help?
- Griffin: Sure can, but be warned, the hangars are crawling with Banished.
- John-117: Then we clear them out.
- Griffin: You heard the Chief, Taurus. Hangar is up ahead — eyes up, let's move!
// 98604-72690-TL // INF-101 // ACCESS PROMPT: CADMON // DATALOG 121259_6752 // --'we have to get moving'--
[Sound: Alarm blaring. Gunfire.]
- Marine: Arrrrgh! I'm hit!
- Thomas Lasky: Chief! The Banished are overrunning the hangar. We have to get moving-
[Sound: Explosion. Gunfire.]
// 98604-72690-TL // INF-101 // ACCESS PROMPT: CADMON // DATALOG 121259_6847 // --'not my first rodeo'--
[Sound: Alarm blaring. Explosion.]
- Spartan Hudson Griffin: Taurus, looks like we might have an available bird — eighty meters at nine o'clock. Captain, we'll have to make this quick.
- Thomas Lasky: I appreciate the caution, Spartan, but this isn't my first rodeo.
- Griffin: Understood, sir, but I did make the Chief a promise.
- Lasky: Fair enough. On your mark, Spartan Griffin.
// 98604-72690-TL // INF-101 // ACCESS PROMPT: CADMON // DATALOG 121259_7140 // --'the Infinity has been compromised'--
[Sound: Alarm blaring. Gunfire. Footsteps.]
- Griffin: Nice shooting, Captain.
- Thomas Lasky: I was well trained.
- Griffin: Alright sir, this is your bird. Let's get you out of here.
- Lasky: My bird? We've got room and you still need a ride.
- Griffin: Still have unfinished business here, sir. We'll make it down to the Ring though. Promise.
- Lasky: See that you keep it, Spartan. Godspeed.
[Sound: Lifeboat thrusters activate. Alarm siren fade out.]
- Lasky: This is Lasky to all hands. The Infinity has been compromised. All remaining crew should immediately evacuate and make for the surface. Rendezvous coordinates incoming.
- Lasky: No matter what happens, we have to make sure that we-
Banished Audio Logs
BEACON INTRUSION // DATASTREAM 2839 CIAR 'YAHAM >> DAHK'RAH Dahk'rah, I have discovered a latent datastream that bears the unmistakable mark of the Forerunners. I plan to make similar scans at the other beacons — I would urge you to do the same. I will send word to the House of Reckoning. This installation appears ready to spill its secrets.
- 117649 Despondent Pyre: The Flood are ended. The reintroduction phase has begun. Countless preserved species have been sent back to start lives anew. Halo was the Forerunners' terrible and ultimate solution to the parasite's relentless advance. Designed to destroy all sentient life, nothing was allowed to survive. And we were sure that nothing had. We were wrong.
BEACON INTRUSION // DATASTREAM 2976 DAHK'RAH >> CIAR 'YAHAM Certain, yes. Beacon studied... signals found. Incomplete, but promising. Will send knowledge to engage at once, yes?
- 117649 Despondent Pyre: Something has been found. Something that should not exist yet does. I believe that the Flood represented our ultimate test. Our greatest victory. Perhaps I was wrong in my assumptions. To my dismay, it seems we have a new problem. I must investigate more before I bring this to the attention of the Council.
BEACON INTRUSION // DATASTREAM 3644 CIAR 'YAHAM >> DAHK'RAH Your findings were of immense help. I have visited another beacon and found more script hidden within the stream's transient folds. I will continue to survey and report my findings appropriately to the team at Annex Ridge.
- 117649 Despondent Pyre: How could this have happened? How could we not know of this till now? Xalanyn. A species previously uncatalogued. Xalanyn. A problem that must be solved. Did my makers know of them? How could they have kept this from me? I have requested council. Soon I will know how to proceed.
BEACON INTRUSION // DATASTREAM 4129 CIAR 'YAHAM >> [LOCAL HOLD] Astounding. With the help of one of our Skirmishers, these ancient conduits seem to have been given a voice. I am trying to make sense of our findings, but it is at the moment beyond me. I must seek further guidance if we are to understand its full value.
- 117649 Despondent Pyre: There is to be a parley. A meeting. Highly unusual. I have moved Installation Zero-Seven into sufficient range of their homeworld. Delegates are en route... from both sides. A necessary contingency considering these unique circumstances. The council has also provided me with an additional and... curious directive. We must understand the extent of what their kind can truly endure. There are facilities on this Ring quite ideal for conducting such tests. It is time for the Silent Auditorium to serve purpose once more.
>>PERSONAL LOG >>ESCHARUM >>UNUS // LOSS
- Escharum: It is with a heavy heart, that I must accept that Atriox… my greatest achievement… is lost to us. In his wake stands the greatest army ever assembled. A force fueled by fury. His spirit burns in the heart of the Banished. It is years since he sought my council. When we planned the revolt against the Covenant. His words. Even now I feel them in my heart. We will never kneel again. We will stand. Proud. Together. Banished Brothers. Side by side.
- Escharum: Tremonius has found the object. Even in my darkest moments… when I feel the most lost, Atriox's wisdom continues to impress me. I regret that I ever doubted him. His talk of Forerunners. Of their lies. Of secrets hidden in this forsaken Ring. Atriox, hear me! Your will is absolute. The Banished… your soul. Eternal.
- Escharum: The Harbinger is free. I do not trust her, but I must believe in Atriox's plan. His sacrifice must not have been in vain. Especially now. His faith in what we learned on the Ark is all I need. The Harbinger is but a first move… To secure our position. Our future. Did Cortana know about all this when she chose this Ring? Did she expect it would be her tomb also? As I look upon this endless world. That question consumes me.
- Escharum: The Master Chief has returned. This should anger me but strangely it does not. It invigorates me. Gives me new purpose. What use a War Chief with no war left to win? I could not have wished for a more worthy adversary. Atriox, I now understand why you did not kill him on the human craft. You wanted him to witness your victory. I will complete your work. Your vision.
>>PERSONAL LOG >>ESCHARUM >>QUINQUE // REFORMATION
- Escharum: The Harbinger has summoned her Spires. Forerunner structures that she claims will rebuild the Ring. For the Banished. For the Banished. Why would she do this? She wants more. Something that I do not understand. For now. What secrets lie deep within the Ring? And how can I use them to ensure our survival?
- Escharum: Doisac was in my dreams again. Is this a portent or a reminder? It has been so long since I stood on my home. On my world. Since I felt its heat underfoot. I could almost taste the Sulfur as it mixed with the rains. A lone tree towered above everything else. As I looked up the sky darkened and then the rain fell harder. Waters rose. The forest disappeared beneath the tides. Swept away by its power. I had no choice but to climb. Many times I lost my way. One moment I was drowning. The next gasping for air but eventually I reached the top. I roared at the Gods but they were silent. As I looked up at the sky , the stars went dark. One by one. Until there was only darkness.
>>PERSONAL LOG >>ESCHARUM >>SEPTEM // LOYALTIES
- Escharum: She swore that she could rebuild the Ring. Allow us to go… if not home, then somewhere better than this. But no. The Spartan has ended that dream. I have little time left for half-truths and lies. She has one last chance. The Silent Auditorium. That is what she called it. She speaks in riddles but it matters not. It will belong to the Banished. Whatever secret it holds. And if she will not share it, we will crush her and take it for ourselves.
>>PERSONAL LOG >>ESCHARUM >>OCTUS // VICTORY
- Escharum: The Spartan is close. The end approaches. Good. These may be my last words… Fight… my Banished Brothers. Never surrender. Never fear! Whatever the outcome, we will prevail! Under his armor, he is just flesh. Human. Weak. If I fall, two must take my place. We rise to face the challenge. Blood sacrificed for victory. For the Banished!
>>PERSONAL LOG >>ESCHARUM >>NOVEM // LOSS
- Escharum: The Human has such faith in his savior. He has hope where there should be none. I will take that from him. If I am to die today, so be it. I have had time to make peace with it. But in death I will inspire generations. And that will be my legacy. I will have beaten him, if not today… Then tomorrow.
HIGH SUMPTER BINGFLIP MYKLO REGIMENT ARMORY OF RECKONING FOR: CONSCRIPT PUBFLEM RE: BRUTES 'N RAGE 'N SO ON
- Bingflip: Dunno how you're doin', Pubflem, but it's been rough on my end. We're running outta humans to skin-rip, so the rank 'n file's getting a little bored. Brutes, though, they don't get bored. They get mad! Last night a group of six-maybe twenty-I think six Brutes decided that they should be in charge of the camp — maybe of the whole Banished! And then the Chieftains smashed all their faces. No change in management. But hey, lots more meat on the menu, so that's nice. All this weapon carryin' and battle dodgin' has got me missin' home. When all we worried about was keepin' good marks at the Nipple Academy. Things was easier when we were all shootin' humans.
HOUSE OF RECKONING | INBOUND DECREE ARMORY OF RECKONING | CMDR BANNIX FWD: ARMORY COMSEC >> Escharum has taken notice. This disgrace m not stand. The Armory is the most critical substation beyond the House of Reckoning and I refuse to see it slip through my grasp. Beginning this day, infighting and insubordination are to be punished by death. No exceptions. No excuses.
- Escharum: We Banished have faced many challenges, and overcome them all. The yoke of the Covenant; the resistance of humanity. Our warriors grow restless. And now I hear word that some amongst our ranks believe themselves more deserving of status, renown, and adulation. Remind your troops of their place. Tighten your grip. Control your forces. Or I will find someone who can.
PIONEER GUARD VOMARUS LEGION OF THE CORPSE-MOON ORDOK TERRITORY FOR: CHIEFTAIN EN'GEDDON OF ZOMAR RE: THE NIGHT'S MARCH
- Vomarus: Four nights ago, one of our captains discovered a pair of quivering humans hidden in the cleft of a ravine. Swift interrogation revealed they had come from a nearby Forerunner tower. Though we found no humans there, our search bore even sweeter fruit: a Forerunner resonance amplifier. With it, our outpost relays can project farther than we dreamed possible. We will find the humans still clinging to this Ring. No matter how long it takes. Our grip upon this Ring is tightening. And our work… is nearly complete.
HOUSE OF RECKONING | INBOUND DECREE HORN OF ABOLITION | CMDR JOPMOP FWD: ALL US GRUNT UP IN THE HORN >> On one hand, the big cheese didn't mention us Grunts by name. But on the other, he didn't demote or execute us, so I guess we're doin' somethin' right! You hear that, gang? The Horn's a totem of strength! Now be the best comms officer you can be. Or else. That's a threat!
- Escharum: This outposts stands as a totum of the strength of the Banished. We are many, forged into one, under the banner of mighty Atriox. The Spartans are dead. All that remains are mere children… and soon, they too will be ground into the dust of this world. As our presence extends across the surface of this Ring, the signal relays above this facility will unite our forces. And this place-our new home-will at last be secured. Did not Atriox promise us that Halo would be ours? Behold: his oath is fulfilled.
GRENADIER DALKURA KINFIST OF TEASH FORGE OF TEASH FOR: LOFT-CAPTAIN GETHMALD RE: THE GASGIRA
- Dalkura: I do not understand the infatuation with these skittering thrustbugs, brother. The Skimmers present more nuisance than aid to our efforts. I am convinced they- much like their leader - have their own agenda. What's more, they... look at me strangely. With their damnable, hollowed eyes. And the smell! Like a plague-ridden thornbeast! When our goals are achieved, I pray Escharum sees fit to discard this alliance.
HOUSE OF RECKONING | INBOUND DECREE FORGE OF TEASH | CMDR DURAKKUS FWD: FLAME-BORE SITE NOVEM LEADS >> Urgent. Ally in transit for personal inspection of Site Novem. Survey teams: transmit echo data for on-site review. Engineering: ready flame-bore for live-fire demonstration. Remaining forces: report to Bassus for security detail.
- Escharum: Durakkus, I found your report on the hollows beneath the candidate excavation site to be... promising. Our ally agrees, but she is skeptical of our methods, and wishes to inspect the site herself. See that she has little cause for concern. Succeed in unearthing this Ring's secret and you will find glory. I need not remind you of the consequences of failure.
HOUSE OF RECKONING | INBOUND DECREE REDOUBT OF SUNDERING | CMDR THAV 'SEBARIM FWD: CHIEFTAIN KALCUNO >> Our mighty War Chief grows impatient, Kalcuno. Too often I have seen you return from the field empty-handed but full-bellied. You have but one more chance before I send you to the Tower in the humans' stead.
- Escharum: The human scourge is all but extinguished from this Ring, brothers. But those who remain are... persistent. Redouble your efforts. Search every cave, every derelict ship — but do not kill them. They will tell us where the others are hiding before the end. Chak 'Lok and his machines will see to it. Soon not a whisper of humanity will remain on this Ring.
BLADEMASTER OKRO 'VAGADUUN BLOODBRAVE GUARDIAN OF SUBAN MIRUDON TERRITORY FOR: HIGH LORD OF THE KEEP THAV 'SEBARIM RE: A SCATTERED ENEMY
- Okro 'Vagaduun: Do not misunderstand my concern, Kaidon. None would question your vigilance in safeguarding the processing outpost. Nevertheless, it is insufficient. We must never forget what happened during the war. A single Demon rose from the ashes of their worlds and brought the whole of the Covenant to its knees. We believed him to be dead before, but were proven wrong to our utter shame. We cannot afford to make that mistake again.
SCREECLEAVER JATO 'RATUM EXODUS GUARD RANSOM KEEP FOR: SCREECLEAVER VIMO 'ARACH RE: EXCAVATION DEVELOPMENTS
- Jato 'Ratum: Brother 'Arach. Our scouts have identified two key sites that seem quite promising for excavation. We will soon be ready to dig... but we must remain vigilant. Unnatural defenses lurk beneath the surfaces of these Rings. Advise your troops to salvage any human machines laid low in battle. The material will be headed for repairs in the... difficult days to come. Good hunting, brother 'Arach. When this is all over, I will tell you of how I survived my days on the Great Foundry.
HOUSE OF RECKONING | INBOUND DECREE RANSOM KEEP | CMDR VIMO 'ARACH FWD: ENGINEERING >> Today is a day of celebration. By the might of our labor, Site Novem has been pierced, and our great War Chief hails our victory. But Halo holds deeper secrets still. Now is not the time for rest.
- Escharum: Look around, brothers and sisters. The way our horizon curves up into the sky, binding us together. It was not the Covenant that delivered upon this promise. It was Atriox, and his Banished. He took those first defiant steps, and tread a path the Prophets could not follow. The result is the dream of Atriox, made manifest. This place... this Ring... is now our home. Our fortress. Our sword.
SIEGEBURNER EL'KORR LANCE OF THE WRITHING STAR VONDAK TERRITORY FOR: BATTLE COMMANDER ZERETUS RE: PACE OF OPERATIONS
- El'korr: The Ring itself impedes our progress as it heals. The War Chief and his ally must remain patient, otherwise we risk losing all that we've found. These artifacts require an extraordinary amount of care and attention. They were not created to stand the passage of vast ages of time, but they were made for another purpose which for now remains hidden. And without unraveling those mysteries, Zeretus, mark my words: we will never have control of this installation.
HOUSE OF RECKONING | INBOUND DECREE ANNEX RIDGE | CMDR ZERETUS FWD: CHIEFTAIN DOVANIR >> You appear to be blessed with some luck, Dovanir. Despite your staggering failure — the loss of a siege-hauler and no less than three intact Artifacts contained therein — the War Chief appears to be unaware of the disruption in our delivery schedule. But make no mistake: his eyes are upon us.
- Escharum: The artifacts scattered across this Ring are key to the destiny of the Banished. They are a link to this world's past and a guide for its future. Our control of this Ring is only as strong as our capacity to understand it and the mysteries that it contains. Discovery what lies beneath. No further delays. No insipid excuses. The only barrier between the Banished and our future is your lack of resolve.
SCOUTMASTER TRAGATHAL YYILIKOI FARGUARD RIVEN GATE FOR: ILTHO THE CHOSEN RE: IMPENDING RESTORATION
- Tragathal: This place continues to confound us, brothers. Scouts at the great spine have confirmed the Ring's efforts to repair itself are well underway. One thing is certain: we need only slow the Demon down long enough for this mighty Ring to be whole once more, and ours to control. He must be the focus of our forces. When the Spartan is dead — and he will die — there will be nothing left to stand in our way.
HOUSE OF RECKONING | INBOUND DECREE RIVEN GATE | CMDR ILTHO FWD: ALL FORCES >> The rumors are true: the last Spartan has returned to Zeta Halo. Let him march on Riven Gate. Let this great maw of the Banished swallow him whole. Let us achieve glory undreamt of by the Covenant.
- Escharum: Brothers, our people once lived in the shadow of throne-bound treachery. But today, we are offered the chance to achieve what the Prophets, and the whole of the Covenant, could not. Humanity's last champion has returned. As we speak, he marches amongst us. The demon hopes to deny us our destiny; see to it that his hope is extinguished. Show the galaxy that at the end of all things, only the Banished remain.
CAPTAIN ARTHOC DRATIX PACK MANDARUS POINT ZERO FOR: CHIEFTAIN TREMONIUS RE: TO CELEBRATE OUR VICTORY
- Arthoc: Our great victory at the human stronghold is complete, Tremonius. You led our forces well. Atriox would be proud. To mark our triumph, local forces will begin at once to establish a new outpost — the first of many on the hallowed ground of our new home. We will build this fortress in the very shadow of their failure. A monument to their frailty and cowardice. Where so many of their kind were cut down. Escharum has decreed it be named in your honor, Tremonius. So that it may inspire other leaders to do what you have done. All that remains of the humans are scattered remnants. And so the hunt carries on, until the last human skull is crushed. Thanks to your efforts, that day is rapidly approaching.
Spartan Audio Logs
DEC 12, 2559 // Captain Lasky orders all hands aboard the UNSC Infinity to abandon ship.
[Sound: Alarm blaring.]
- Marine: Captain Lasky's lifeboat is away, sir!
- Spartan Hudson Griffin: Good. Now for the rest of us. Rally up with your squad and get to the nearest pod, marine. Move, move!
- Marine: Yes sir!
- Griffin: Fireteam Taurus. Rendezvous with me at bay 18. We're heading to the surface.
- Spartan Bertold Vettel: Acknowledged. We're on the move.
- Griffin: The rest of you Spartans: if you're not already off the Infinity, disengage and get to the lifeboats ASAP. Windfall-One, we've got a lot of personnel en route to Zeta Halo. What are you seeing out there?
- Spartan Vedrana Makovich: Banished hardware's everywhere — in the skies and on the ground. Be ready for a rough landing!
- Griffin: You heard her. Stay safe and I'll see you on the ground, Spartans.
- Spartan Bonita Stone: We're with you, Griffin.
- Spartan Tomas Horvath: Let's get it done.
DEC 12, 2559 // Spartan Theodore Sorel leads marines in defense of Infinity.
[Sound: Gunfire. Alarm blaring. Explosion.]
- Thomas Lasky (loudspeakers): This is Lasky to all hands. The Infinity has been compromised. All remaining crew should immediately evacuate and make for the surface. Rendezvous coordinates incoming.
- Spartan Theodore Sorel: What? Already?
- Private Chamberlain: Another breach, port side! Banished are pouring in faster than we can keep up! What's the move, Spartan?
- Sorel: You heard the captain! We're falling back to the hangar bay and getting off of this ship!
- Private First Class Miyazaki: Heading for the Ring's surface? With the Banished all over us?
- Sorel: Do you think you're safer here? Pick up the wounded. The Infinity's lost. We are not.
DEC 12, 2559 // Spartan Hudson Griffin and Fireteam Taurus touchdown on Zeta Halo and immediately set off to deal with the Banished artillery.
[Sound: Artillery fire. Weapons cocking. Gunfire.]
- Spartan Hudson Griffin: Taurus, we're on the Ring. We made it. Barely. Those AA guns are tearing our birds apart. They're priority one. If we don't take them offline, nothing from Infinity will make it to the surface. Dimka, Oshiro, cover flank. Vettel, keep an eye behind us, and I'm gonna be up front. Okay, let's move!
[Sound: Footsteps. Explosion.]
- Spartan Dimka: Do we have any idea of our losses so far?
- Spartan Bertold Vettel: Not yet. But Infinity was getting hit pretty hard when we left-
- Griffin: Take those guns down! Taurus, on me!
DEC 12, 2559 // Spartan Nina Kovan makes her descent toward the surface of Zeta Halo.
[Sound: Muffled explosions.]
- Spartan Henri Malik: Spartan Kovan, your drop pod's on a collision course with a deployment of Phantoms in the Ring's stratosphere. Impact probability's 93 percent. Adjust your course.
- Spartan Nina Kovan: Why would I do that? I'm aiming for them.
- Malik: Somehow... I'm not surprised. Good luck, Spartan.
[Sound: Drop pod shaking.]
- Kovan: This is probably gonna hurt...
[Sound: Explosion. Coughing.]
- Kovan: Knock knock.
DEC 12, 2559 // Kovan provides cover for Taurus against approaching Banished, by providing overwatch.
[Sound: Weapons cocking. Distant artillery fire.]
- Spartan Bertold Vettel: Griffin, I've got movement in that downed Phantom. Banished survivors.
- Spartan Hudson Griffin: Let's pick 'em off before we move on those AA guns. Vettel, you're on-
- Spartan Nina Kovan: Stand down, Fireteam Taurus. Friendly inside.
- Griffin: Kovan? What are you doing in there?
- Kovan: The Phantom was in my way. So I went through it.
[Sound: S7 sniper firing.]
- Kovan: I count five Banished patrols making their way to your position. If you're going move on those AA guns, you should do it now.
- Griffin: You heard her, Taurus. Let's move out. Thanks for the support, Kovan.
[Sound: S7 sniper firing. A Jiralhanae roars.]
- Kovan: (Russian) Nyet (No) problem.
DEC 12, 2559 // Spartans Vedrana Makovich and Henri Malik engage the enemy swarming Infinity in a desperate attempt to buy time for the UNSC.
[Sound: Distant explosions.]
- Spartan Vedrana Makovich: Infinity, Windfall-One. You've got two- make that three Phantoms on fast approach. What's your status?
- Infinity Comms AI: Infinity is launching lifeboats and drop pods on course to the surface of the Halo Ring.
- Makovich: What?! That's suicide! The skies are still thick with Banished! Malik you still with me?
- Spartan Henri Malik: Windfall-Four on your six, Spartan.
- Makovich: Infinity's launching the evac — the UNSC is abandoning ship. We've gotta get those pods safely to the surface of-
- Makovich: Damn it, I got incoming!
- Malik: You got five Banshees on you, Mako!
- Makovich: Better on me than the lifepods! Cover us, Windfall-Four, I'm getting them to the surface!
DEC 12, 2559 // Spartans Tomas Horvath and Fireteam Intrepid launch to the surface of Zeta Halo.
- Spartan Tomas Horvath: Intrepid One, my drop pod is two klicks up-spin. On your tail in 10 seconds. There's a lot going on up here.
- Intrepid One: Copy that, Infinity's getting torn up in orbit, but it's going to be way worse on the Ring's surface. Touchdown in ten. Let's be ready to hit the ground running, Intrepid.
- Horvath: Copy that. Let's show 'em what Spartans can do.
[Sound: Static. Door opens. Clamoring and gunfire.]
- Intrepid One: Go! Go! Go! Weapons free, Intrepid! Let's take this sector back from the Banished!
- Spartan Theodore Sorel: Oscar One Two Eight is down. I repeat: Oscar One Two Eight is down, and we've lost uplink to command. Anyone hearing me out there? Does anybody copy?
[Sound: Static comms]
[Sound: Erudo'ma'keth-pattern pulse carbine being fired.]
- Sorel: Telemetry's shot so I have no sense of our position. All I know is that we're deep in enemy territory. Banished hardware is deploying from orbit faster than we can count them.
[Sound: Clamoring. Gunfire.]
- Sorel: We're dug in and holding position. We'll head for the rendezvous point as soon as we've got a chance to move — if we get a chance.
DEC 12, 2559 // Despite a violent entry into Zeta's atmosphere, Spartan Bonita Stone and a group of marines safely reach the surface.
[Sound: Windshield rustling, followed by beeping.]
- Spartan Bonita Stone: Bracing position! Landfall on the Ring in five seconds!
[Sound: Lifeboat crashes, then creaks. Marines coughing.]
- Stone: Sound off, marines!
- First Marine: We're good, Spartan Stone. (Cough) Bumps and bruises, not much else.
- Stone: Copy that. Soon as I blow the hatch, we fan out in pairs. The Ring's already crawling with Banished. Be ready for anything
[Sound: Lifeboat hatch opens. Birds chirping.]
- Second Marine: Whoa.
- Stone: You alright, marine?
- Second Marine: Yeah, just... for all the trouble these things are supposed to cause, I guess I never though the surface of the ring would look so... beautiful.
DEC 12, 2559 // Spartan Bertold Vettel and Fireteam Taurus flee the Infinity amid a flurry of activity and prepare to land near Banished artillery.
- Spartan Oshiro: The Infinity's getting hammered by Banished ships.
- Spartan Bertold Vettel: Yeah. I wonder how much more she'll be able to take before-
[Sound: Explosions. Aircraft shaking.]
- Spartan Dimka: Okay, that was too close.
- Vettel: Banished triple-A's. How did they get set up so quick?
- Spartan Hudson Griffin: They came with purpose and a plan, Spartan Vettel. that much is clear. Taurus leader to Victor Three-Two-One. Requesting a change to the LZ.
- V-321: Destination?
- Griffin: Set us down by that Banished artillery. We're taking them out.
DEC 13, 2559 // As Taurus disables the second Banished gun, a cataclysmic event on the Ring's surface levels the playing field.
- Spartan Bertold Vettel: Second AA gun offline, Griff.
- Spartan Hudson Griffin: Good work, Taurus. Let's move on that far gun. Give Infinity's birds some breathing room up there-
[Sound: Energy pulses.]
- Spartan Oshiro: What is that?
[Sound: Energy charging.]
- Vettel: It's coming from that tower to the north. It's-
[Sound: Explosion. Static in comms.]
- Griffin: Taurus! Sitrep. Now!
- Vettel: We're green, sir. But everything except for my armor is down. Must have been that blast.
- Griffin: The last AA gun is down too. Whatever it was, it leveled the playing field. Let's go. We've got work to do!
[Sound: Explosion. Ground quaking.]
- Suit AI: Spartan Makovich, the Ring is coming apart beneath your feet. Recommend-
- Spartan Vedrana Makovich: One crisis at a time, please!
- Suit AI: Spartan Makovich, your sidearm is insufficient to deal with Sentinels in such numbers. Recommend-
- Makovich: Yeah! Retreat! I'm working on it!
[Sound: Gunfire. Sentinel explodes. Another Sentinel screeches. Running footsteps.]
- Suit AI: Spartan Makovich, your current speed of fort-seven KPH is-
- Makovich: One more physics lesson, and I'm ripping you out of my head.
- Private Chamberlain: It can't be a coincidence that the Banished beat us here. We're not prepared for-
- Spartan Theodore Sorel: Quiet. Where's that sound coming from?
[Sound: Energy charging.]
[Sound: Energy charges louder.]
- Sorel: Everybody down! Now!
- Chamberlain: What's going on?!
- Sorel: It's the target! It's her!
DEC 13, 2559 // During a skirmish with the Banished, Horvath is separated from his fireteam.
[Sound: Static in comms.]
- Spartan Tomas Horvath: Intrepid One, do you copy? I've lost visual contact with the team. Motion tracker's offline... everything is offline. That explosion- Intrepid One, do you copy?
[Sound: Static in comms.]
- Horvath: Oh no. The Ring... If you can hear me, Intrepid. Anyone. The Ring is breaking apart. It's... you're gone. All of you.
- Spartan Bonita Stone: How's the ridgeline look, Corporal?
- Marine: Thick with brutes and a lot of hardware. They set up shop quick down here. Must be preparing for-
[Sound: Energy charging. Ground quaking.]
- Marine: What the hell? The damn mountain is coming apart!
- Stone: Back into the lifeboat! Now!
[Sound: Energy charges louder. Explosion. Ground crumbling.]
- Marine: Stone! The boat's going down!
- Stone: Hold on! I've got you!
[Sound: Ground crumbling.]
- Stone: Marines! Hang! On!
[Sound: Lifeboat creaking.]
- Stone: Thrusters. Now!
- Suit AI: Thrusters online.
- Spartan Vedrana Makovich: What am I looking at?
- Suit AI:Frigate. Mulsanne-class. Hull identification reads Mortal Reverie.
- Makovich: If we're going to make any noise on this Ring, we need a base of operations. It's beat to hell, but it's shelter. Defensible location... no sign of Banished activity... yeah this could work. Any Spartans in comms range?
- Suit AI: Spartan Griffin is in range, but his signal is diminishing rapidly.
- Makovich: I'll keep it brief. Open up a channel.
- Makovich: I think we've found our rendezvous point.
- Spartan Hudson Griffin: So, is it true? The report?
- Spartan Bonita Stone: Yes. The Banished are deploying resource harvesters, and-
- Griffin: Nevermind that — did you pull an entire lifeboat out of one of the breaches in the Ring?
- Stone: I ordered the squad inside to take shelter from the explosion. I wasn't going to let them die in it.
- Griffin: (Chuckles) Fine work, Stone. Day One was dicey for all of us. We're still trying to figure out what happened. Glad you kept a cool head.
- Stone: I lent a hand this time. I'm sure they'll have my back next.
- Griffin: If their reports are any indication, those marines will follow you anywhere. And if we're gonna take this Ring back... we need everyone working together.
DEC 26, 2559 // Horvath attempts to send a transmission and encounters Brutes, seeking to reinforce a key choke point.
- Spartan Tomas Horvath: To any UNSC forces in range: this is Spartan Horvath. Fireteam Intrepid of the UNSC Infinity. I've been separated from my team for... five days. Working around the Banished presence on the Ring. If anyone can hear me?
- Suit AI: Unknown contacts on approach.
[Sound: A Phantom's impulse drive whirring.]
- Horvath: A Phantom.
[Sound: The Phantom lands. Its hatches open. Heavy footsteps.]
- First Jiralhanae: Ah... A natural choke point. This is where we build. Order the drop.
[Sound: Heavy footsteps.]
[Sound: Equipment being set down.]
- Private First Class Miyazaki: What did you see on your recon sweep, Spartan? What's going on with the Ring?
- Spartan Theodore Sorel: No mistaking it: the Ring is actively repairing itself. All those Sentinels we saw buzzing around the spine are assessing damage, initiating repairs. Whatever the target did to the Ring... It's being reversed, and quickly. This Ring will be operational again.
- Miyazaki: I'll make a note in our report. What now?
- Sorel: We know what the Banished are after. It's our job to slow them down. Safe bet that the rest of the UNSC's operating under the same protocol. Get some rest, marines. We've got a lot of chaos to engineer tomorrow.
[Sound: Artillery fire.]
- Spartan Tomas Horvath: Those guns are still online. Any UNSC signatures in this area?
- Suit AI: Scanning now... No UNSC signatures in range.
- Horvath: I thought not. Wonder if there's anything left of us up above... or on the ground... Damn it. More of them.
- First Sangheili: Until the War Chief crushes the heart of the human resistance, they will continue to fight.
- Second Sangheili: It's only a matter of time. We have already achieved what the Covenant only dreamed of. This Ring, in all its glory, is ours.
- First Sangheili: Agreed. With this weapon in ours hands, no one will be able to stand against our might.
JAN 20, 2560 // Kovan scouts the Banished deep in the red zone, discovering a potential vulnerability of the enemy.
[Sound: Distant clamoring.]
- Spartan Nina Kovan: Griffin, this is Kovan.
- Spartan Hudson Griffin: Report.
- Kovan: Recon sweep of the red zone is complete. As we thought, the Banished forces are highly stratified and fragmented. Competition and infighting is encouraged to elevate new leaders. Their unity hinges entirely on the War Chief. If Escharum were removed...
- Griffin: Assassination could sow a lot of chaos among the Banished.
- Kovan: It's risky... but it might be our best option.
- Griffin: Good work, Kovan. Get back here. We've got some planning to do.
- Spartan Hudson Griffin: Killing Escharum is the only viable option we have. A power vacuum like that would destabilize the Banished — and win us the footing we need to hold out until help arrives. I need volunteers, and I know I'll have no shortage of them. We all want a part of this. But we can't all go and leave Reverie undefended — so we're doing this the old fashioned way.
- Spartan Vedrana Makovich: Drawing straws? Are you kidding, Griffin?
- Griffin: No, I'm not. This is the plan. A single strike team, deep in Banished territory. Agile. quiet. On foot. That's the only way it's gonna work. This might be a one-way trip. So we need people to stay. Or there won't be anything left to protect.
- Spartan Hudson Griffin: It's not up for debate. Panago, Malik, Sarkar, and me. That's the roster.
- Spartan Bertold Vettel: For an assassination op? Decided by drawing straws? No, Griffin — we need you here at the Reverie. The marines need a leader. We all do.
- Griffin: The decision's made. We're gonna get this done now. Take out Escharum and take control of this Ring. You're right that the marines need a leader. That's why you're staying here. To lead in my absence.
- Vettel: I can't do-
- Griffin: You can and you will. I know you will. No matter what happens.
JAN 30, 2560 // Griffin encounters Escharum and learns of his team's end and the Banished's impending assault on the Mortal Reverie.
- Spartan Hudson Griffin: Spartans: if anybody can hear me, I'm proceeding. We've come too far to turn-
- Escharum: (Chuckle) You're correct, Spartan. There is no turning back.
[Sound: Reload. Echoing laugh.]
- Escharum: (Chuckling) Do you take me for a fool? That I would leave my own home as unprotected as you have yours? You overreach. You and your friends. What remains of them will made adequate trophies.
- Griffin: You sick-
- Escharum: I spare them this, but I will not spare you: as you and your Spartans approached my citadel, I ordered the destruction of your people and that battered ship. Your "home" upon this Ring will soon be but ashes. And not even a whisper of your kind will remain on this Ring.
JAN 30, 2560 // Griffin sends a one-way transmission back to Mortal Reverie, telling them of the assault and to abandon ship.
- Spartan Hudson Griffin: (Panting) This is Griffin to FFG-Five-Two-Five. Reverie. Do you read me?
- Suit AI: Griffin, you are badly injured. And your armor's medical systems are offline. Seek medical attention immediately.
- Griffin: Open up a one-way encryption channel to Reverie's up-spin transmitter.
- Suit AI: Encrypted, one-way transmission confirmed. Record when ready.
- Griffin: The mission was a failure. Escharum was waiting for us the whole time. Malik, Panago, Sarkar. All gone. Listen to me, Reverie. Escharum has dispatched almost every soldier and asset they have available. Their goal is...
JAN 30, 2560 // The Spartans at Mortal Reverie receive part of the transmission from Griffin, they ready their defenses.
- Spartan Hudson Griffin: (Static) The mission was a failure. Escharum was- (Static) Malik, Panago, Sarkar. All gone. Listen to me, Reverie. Escharum has dispatched almost every soldier and- (Static) Their goal is-
- Spartan Vedrana Makovich: Vettel... what is this?
- Spartan Bertold Vettel: A transmission from Griffin. Fragmented from interference, but it's definitely him. This much is clear: the mission failed.
- Makovich: Do you think- do you think anyone survived?
- Spartan Nina Kovan: If what Spartan Griffin said is true, his loss is the least of our worries. They're coming. We must prepare.
JAN 31, 2560 // Makovich and Vettel discuss the hit operation's losses and the coming Banished force to the Mortal Reverie.
- Spartan Vedrana Makovich: I've been running ops with Windfall for years. Broadsword sorties on Requiem. Prowler corps maneuvers on a Kig-Yar purse-moon. Allied SOS strike on Brute raiding parties. Never once did I imagine I'd lose a squadmate to a straw-draw assassination gone south. What a mess.
- Spartan Bertold Vettel: Malik knew what the was volunteering for. They all did. It was worth the shot, Mako.
- Makovich: Was it? We kicked the hell out of the proverbial hornet's nest, and the hornets are mobilizing for some payback. If we lose our foothold at the Reverie... we lose the Ring.
- Vettel: There's a lot of lives at stake here. Some are suggesting we pull out and wait till the storm passes.
- Makovich: And go where Back to hiding in caves? Skulking around at night? No. We hold. We make the Banished bleed so that our sacrifices still mean something. Escharum can keep his head. We'll take his pride.
JAN 31, 2560 // Stone recons Riven Gate, near the edge of enemy territory and reports a massive Banished invasion force.
[Sound: Distant marching and war cries.]
- Spartan Bonita Stone: This is Spartan Stone to FFG-Five-Two-Five. Do you copy? Repeat, do you copy?
- Marine: We copy, Spartan Stone, what's your position?
- Stone: I've got Boulder Squad at sector sixty-three overlooking The Gate. Five-Two-Five, I'm looking at the largest gathered force I've ever seen. The Banished are moving on the Reverie. They'll be there by nightfall.
FEB 02, 2560 // UNSC forces defend the Mortal Reverie, but realize it's falling quickly to the Banished.
[Sound: Clamoring. Gunfire.]
- Marine: We can't hold them back much longer, sir! There's too many!
- Spartan Bertold Vettel: We don't have a choice. If we lose Reverie, we lose everything. Hold the line, marines!
- Spartan Nina Kovan: The marine is correct, Vettel. Infantry and armor are pouring into valley by the hundreds. The Reverie is already lost.
- Spartan Vedrana Makovich: So what? We just abandon it?
- Kovan: Griffin warned us of this possibility. It is why we stayed behind. We must save who we can.
- Vettel: She's right. We either leave now or Reverie becomes a graveyard. Makovich, get the order out. Everyone falls back. Everyone.
MAR 03, 2560 // Their forces scattered, the surviving Spartans weight their options.
- Spartan Vedrana Makovich: Stone's completed her recon sweep. She located two squads taking shelter up north. That's an additional twelve to our confirmed survivor count.
- Spartan Bertold Vettel: Any sign of the others? Griffin? Kovan? Horvath?
- Makovich: No. Not even at the prisoner camps. Bertold... It's been over a month since the Reverie...
- Vettel: Don't say it. I will not abandon them.
- Spartan Theodore Sorel : We have to acknowledge reality. We lost the Reverie. Our last Forward Operating Base is now offline. We're scattered, and control of the Ring is in Escharum's reach. We don't have many options left, but we do have orders.
- Vettel: Rubicon protocol.
- Makovich: Stop or slow the Banished by any means necessary.
- Vettel: and keep Zeta Halo out of their control. Buy Earth as much time as we can. That's our mission now.
APR 23, 2560 // Stone recons Outpost Tremonius, built in the shadow of the Mortal Reverie, and makes a troubling discovery.
- Spartan Bonita Stone: Open a one-way transmission. Initial sweep of the Reverie site is complete.
- Stone: The Banished outpost here... is more than a barracks. They're unearthing Forerunner tech from within this Ring. Including artifacts I've never seen before. But there's more: over half of the Banished detachment manning this post are peeling off to another excavation site, south of here. Orders from the War Chief himself. A Forerunner facility called the Conservatory. whatever it is, it's important enough to divert Escharum's sole focus. We need eyes on the Conservatory as soon as possible. I'd go myself, but I need a closer look at the artifacts here. All this time we've assumed that Zeta Halo was like the others. What if it's something more?
- Jiralhanae Officer: Damage that equipment and you'll answer to Escharum, whelps! Now heave!
- Unggoy: We're goin'! We're goin'!
- Spartan Bertold Vettel: Not yet. just a bit closer...
- Unggoy: Why we gotta be the muscle? Ain't that what brutes are for? I tell ya, soon as we're-
- Vettel: Now!
- Unggoy: Aaagh!
- Jiralhanae: A Spartan! Kill him!
- Jiralhanae: (Near death, wheezing) Finish it, human!
- Vettel: No. Not just yet. I'm looking for some friends of mine. And you, my friend, will tell me where to find them.
APR 24, 2560 // Observing Banished activity around a massive excavation site, Makovich and Sorel draw a conclusion about Escharum's plans.
- Spartan Vedrana Makovich: Damn, that's a lot of them. Sorel, come in. I got eyes on a massive deployment of Banished. And a ton of hardware... excavation equipment. Stone's intel was right. They've found something.
- Spartan Theodore Sorel: The Monitor. They have to be looking for the Monitor.
- Makovich: I think you're right. they're moving in numbers we haven't seen since the Reverie fell. If they get the Monitor, they'll control the Ring.
- Sorel: Not if we get to it first.
- Makovich: How do you propose we do that?
- Sorel: We can stall their progress. Sabotage their machines. Disrupt their supply lines. But they'll cut through the steel eventually, and when they do...
- Makovich: ...we make our move.
APR 26, 2560 // Deep in the substructure of Zeta Halo, Stone transmits her findings to the other Spartans.
- Spartan Bonita Stone: (Whispering) Sorel, Mako: I don't have much time. Gotta make this quick. I made it down into the Forerunner subterrane and got a closer look at the tech I spotted earlier. It's a stasis pod. Ancient. empty. And I think there are more of them. Maybe a lot more. Installation 07 might be an arcology. Or a prison. Hell, maybe it's a zoo. But one thing's for sure: it's not like the other Rings. We're in uncharted territory. My route topside is cut off, so I'm going further in. I'll find another way out. I picked up a UNSC signal from deeper in the facility. Maybe it's a-
- Stone: (Whispering) Damn it — I'm not alone here. Cut transmission.
APR 29, 2560 // Vettel believe he's found the location of Griffin and sends one last transmission before attempting a rescue.
- Spartan Bertold Vettel: This is Spartan Vettel of Fireteam Taurus to all UNSC transmitters in range... I've tracked down Griffin's last location, before he went offline. I know where he went — where he was taken. He's been taken to the Tower. And we know what happens there. The facility's heavily guarded. But if I can take one of those transport skiffs... I might be able to slip in. I'm not going to let Griffin die in chains. But I've been on this Ring long enough to know that victory is not guaranteed. To all remaining UNSC on Zeta Halo. We don't give up. We never stop fighting. No matter what happens.
MAY 15, 2560 // Makovich and Sorel follow the Banished into the Conservatory, seeking to deny Escharum his prize: the installation monitor.
- First Unggoy: They're headin' down now. Shouldn't we go along with 'em?
- Second Unggoy: You kidding? I ain't going anywhere near that mining laser. Not unless- (Whimpering) hey! It's a- (Death groan)
- First Unggoy: Spartans! Still-alive Spartans! Someone call- (Death groan)
- Spartan Theodore Sorel: Night-night. You got eyes on the tunnel?
- Spartan Vedrana Makovich: Yeah. Big group of Banished just went inside. Didn't see Escharum, but he might already be in there. So... two of us against all of them, huh?
- Sorel: I like those odds. It's not going to be easy... but it's the only move we have left. We find the Monitor before they do.
- Makovich: Back-up would have been nice.
- Sorel: It's just us now, Mako. We have to make do. Time to move. How's that distraction coming?
- Makovich: Stand by...
[Sound: Beeping. Explosion.]
- Makovich: Let's go.
MAY 15, 2560 // Inside the Conservatory, Makovich and Sorel confront a powerful adversary.
- Spartan Vedrana Makovich: Oh yeah. This is Forerunner. We're clear, Theo. Moving up.
- Spartan Theodore Sorel: Let's keep it quiet for as long as we can. There'll be no putting the cork back in the bottle once the party starts.
- Makovich: Speaking of which, when we're done here, I know of a certain supply crate with a couple of bottles of- Movement! Behind you!
- Jega 'Rdomnai: (Attack roar)
- Sorel: Agh!
- [Sound: Gunfire. Active camouflage shimmers.]
- Makovich: Damn it, he cloaked! you still with me?
- Sorel: Yeah. I'm good. Where'd he go?!
- 'Rdomnai: (Growling) I am near, Spartan. I am near.
- Makovich: Go. Leave this to me.
- Sorel: No, I can't do that-
- Makovich: Find the Monitor. I'll be right behind you.
- Sorel: You better be, Mako.
- Makovich: Now then, where were we?
- [Sound: Energy sword activates.]
- 'Rdomnai: You were about to die screaming.
- [Sound: Gunfire.]
MAY 15, 2560 // A wounded Spartan Sorel makes a last stand in the bowels of the Conservatory.
[Sound: Distant roaring.]
- Spartan Theodore Sorel: Mako-come in. Come in, Mako. No. You're not dead. You're right behind me. I'm gonna keep moving. That Elite got me pretty good-
- Unggoy: Aggh!
- Sorel: -but I'm still alive. And I'm not giving up-just like you. Right, Mako? Rubicon protocol. We keep fighting. For everyone we've lost. For everyone back on Earth. We never stop. Not until-
[Sound: Door opens.]
- Tovarus: Look there, brother! Jega left us some table scraps.
- Hyperius: The last Spartan. Let us enjoy this moment, Tovarus.
- Sorel: -not until our last breath.
[Sound: Weapon cocking.]
- Sorel: You're in my way. Which one of you wants to die first?
- Spartan Tomas Horvath: To any UNSC personnel in range... This is Spartan Tomas Horvath, Fireteam Intrepid. And I appear to be... alone. I am heading up-spin, beyond the reach of the Banished to search for survivors. For my fireteam. I don't know what else to do. The silence on UNSC channels is not encouraging... but I will be listening. Watching. Surviving. Chief, if you can hear this... we need you. Now more than ever.
INSTALLATION ARCHIVE 117649/01: Constantly rewritten.
- 117649 Despondent Pyre: How many years have I been here now? Two thousand or twenty thousand? Longer? Does it even matter? Why did my makers entrust me with this installation? As its custodian, I feel there is much that I do not know... Or that has been kept from me. Its history is... complicated. Constantly rewritten. But why? There is much to learn. And if nothing else... I have time.
INSTALLATION ARCHIVE 117649/02: New questions.
- 117649 Despondent Pyre: I continue to be impressed with the intricacies of this installation. Trillions of systems working in harmony. Forever shifting. Adapting. An ecosystem to preserve life. And when necessary, destroy it for the greater good.
INSTALLATION ARCHIVE 117649/03: To complete the circle.
- 117649 Despondent Pyre: As I explore this world, I find answers that only seem to exist to pose new questions. One thing is certain. This installation was built differently than the others. A myriad of Reformation Spires can be deployed... indeed have been deployed when requested. To complete the circle. To ensure its inhabitants are preserved. Or perhaps I should say, "detained".
INSTALLATION ARCHIVE 117649/04: A celebration, or a warning?
- 117649 Despondent Pyre: Assuredly, many before me have observed these crumbling artifacts — gazed at the landscape in which they sit. How did they feel? There is so much here that I would assume was interpreted as beauty... but perhaps not. What are these relics to the past? Are they a celebration, or a warning? Symbols of hope or something darker?
INSTALLATION ARCHIVE 117649/05: A constant loop.
- 117649 Despondent Pyre: Time continues to be on my mind. I now believe these relics to contain a warning. A message from the past. But from whom? And why? As I look to the sky, I am struck by a thought. This Ring. A constant loop. Are we all fated to repeat the sins of the past?
INSTALLATION ARCHIVE 117649/06: Their greatest fear.
- 117649 Despondent Pyre: I am close to deciphering the runes. Perhaps I will learn who left them. My makers... the Forerunner's great fear was understood be the Great Parasite. The Flood. A scourge that almost wiped out everything. I now believe this hypothesis to be incorrect. Their greatest fear is... was... losing their power. The fear of a master who would become a slave.
INSTALLATION ARCHIVE 117649/07: Rings inside of Rings.
- 117649 Despondent Pyre: "Enemy within." That is the meaning of the runes carved into this monument. These runes predate me. Older than even the Forerunners. Time moves forward, and back again. I now see Rings inside of Rings. Great circles everlasting. Without beginning or end. "Endless." As I say their name I feel... foolish. Uninformed. Misled. And I am afraid.
|Trouble with the audio sample?|
The first "Recovered Files" audio log was hidden in the February 2021 issue of Inside Infinite on Halo Waypoint. The audio file was embedded in a comment by 343 Industries' World Design Lead John Mulkey, mentioning that Installation 07 has "stories to be found" - alluding to the audio logs in Halo Infinite. A similar audio was released as a hidden part of the Discover Hope trailer.