From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
208 centimeters (6 ft 10 in)
123 kilograms (271 lbs)
|Political and military information|
Bertold Vettel is a SPARTAN-IV supersoldier of Fireteam Taurus in the United Nations Space Command.
Early life and UNSC service
Bertold Vettel was born on Earth on September 14, 2532, eventually enlisting in the United Nations Space Command. Following the Human-Covenant War, he was recruited into the SPARTAN-IV program and would serve as part of Fireteam Taurus alongside Spartans Griffin, Oshiro, and Dimka.
Vettel and the rest of Fireteam Taurus would become well-known within the Spartan Branch for their efficiency in combat, scoring several victories against Covenant remnants. Despite growing very close, none of Vettel's squadmates knew much about his past. Between 2557 and 2559, Fireteam Taurus—presumably including Vettel—worked alongside John-117 and Blue Team several times.
Fireteam Taurus was deployed onto Reach in October 2559, during Operation: WOLFE. Alongside Fireteam Intrepid, they were to aid Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer in securing the Viery Militia's nuclear weapons during the Battle of New Mohács, ensuring that the weapons would not be used during the fighting and attract unwanted Created attention.
- Main article: Installation 07 conflict
On December 12, 2559, Fireteam Taurus was onboard the UNSC Infinity when it was ambushed by Banished forces upon arrival at Installation 07. Vettel and the rest of Fireteam Taurus were pinned down by Banished boarders when Master Chief Petty Officer John-117, while escorting Captain Thomas Lasky off the ship, arrived to help. Vettel then assisted in escorting Captain Lasky to his lifeboat. Fireteam Taurus evacuated on Victor 321, and, under the leadership of Spartan Hudson Griffin, the Pelican changed its landing zone to an area south of the Silent Auditorium, where the Banished deployed three anti-air artilleries to fire at UNSC crafts. With sniper support from Spartan Nina Kovan, Taurus disabled two Banished artilleries, and witnessed an explosion on the ring fragmenting its surface.
By December 18, Fireteam Taurus has rendezvoused with other UNSC forces at the wreckage of UNSC Mortal Reverie, which had been found by Spartan Vedrana Makovich and designated as a UNSC base of operations.
On January 23, 2560, Spartan Griffin led Spartans Panago, Malik, and Sarkar in an assassination mission on the Banished War Chief Escharum. Griffin left Vettel in charge of the UNSC forces at Reverie. However, the assassination on Escharum failed. Griffin sent an encrypted message to the Reverie on January 31 before he was captured and handed over to Chak 'Lok for torture. In his message, Griffin warned the Reverie of an impending Banished assault. Under the combined leadership of Vettel and counsel of Makovich, the UNSC forces at the Reverie braced for the Banished's attack. Despite the preparations, the Banished assault under Chieftain Tremonius proved to be too much, and on February 2, 2560, Vettel made the difficult choice to abandon their position, knowing that it meant the end of organized UNSC resistance on the fragmented section of the ring.
Over the next month, the UNSC lost all remaining Forward Operating Bases on the fragmented section of the ring. On March 3, 2560, Vettel regrouped with Spartans Makovich, Bonita Stone, and Theodore Sorel, and a few dozen marines. They decided to enact the Rubicon Protocol: stop or slow the Banished by any means necessary and keep Zeta Halo out of their control.
On April 23, Vettel ambushed a Banished patrol and interrogated them about the whereabouts of other survivors. Six days later, on April 29, Vettel tracked down Griffin's last known location before his capture by Escharum. He correctly deduced that Griffin had been taken to Chak 'Lok's Tower. Vettel formulated a plan to take a transport skiff and slip through the defenses. Considering the fact that his rescue of Griffin was unsuccessful, Vettel either escaped or was killed by Banished forces.
During the Battle for Zeta Halo, Spartan Vettel wore the Mjolnir GEN3 Mark VII armor, employing the Cavallino helmet and the UA/Hampus shoulder pads.
- Bertold Vettel was portrayed by American actor Scott Whyte.
- Vettel's Mark VII armor coating, Crimson Vettel, is available in Halo Infinite multiplayer. The coating can be unlocked by accessing the Mjolnir Armory locker north of FOB Alpha.
- In Halo: The Rubicon Protocol, Vettel's first name was misspelled as "Berthold".
List of appearances
- Halo: Shadows of Reach (First appearance)
- Halo Infinite
- Halo: The Rubicon Protocol
- ^ a b c d e f g Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 103
- ^ Halo Infinite, UNSC Audio log: Outpost Intel #02 - No Entry
- ^ a b c Halo: Shadows of Reach, chapter 16
- ^ Halo Infinite, UNSC Audio log: Infinity's Approach #08 - Losing Ground
- ^ Halo Infinite, UNSC Audio log: Infinity's Approach #09 - Taurus
- ^ Halo Infinite, UNSC Audio log: Infinity's Approach #12 - Abandon Ship
- ^ Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Ringfall #05 - Priority One
- ^ Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Evacuation #03 - Touchdown
- ^ Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Evacuation #05 - Overwatch
- ^ Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Ringfall #05 - Run and Guns
- ^ Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Reverie #01 - Home Away From Home
- ^ Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Retaliation #02 - Those Left Behind
- ^ Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Retaliation #05 - Encroachment
- ^ Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Retaliation #06 - Drawing the Line
- ^ Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Retaliation #08 - The Retreat
- ^ Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Scattered #01 - Rubicon Protocol
- ^ Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Scattered #03 - Inquries
- ^ Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Scattered #06 - Holding On
- ^ Halo Infinite, credits
- ^ Halo: The Rubicon Protocol, chapter 15