|There is more information available on this subject at Frigate on the English Wikipedia.|
A frigate is a type of warship in both the United Nations Space Command and Covenant fleets. Like their seaborne counterparts, frigates are defined as medium-tonnage vessels, larger than corvettes, more versatile than destroyers and smaller than cruisers.
In the UNSC Navy, frigates form the backbone of any fleet or battle group, while cruisers appear to fill a similar role within the Covenant. As their most ubiquitous warship, the UNSC uses frigates in a broad range of roles, ranging from heavy air support to fighter escort and fleet engagements. Some UNSC frigates are equipped with a sizable cargo bay for larger dropships and armor complements. The UNSC has also employed light frigates equipped with stealth systems in a specialized reconnaissance role. Covenant frigates are not as commonly seen as their UNSC counterparts, but one of their roles appears to be escorting larger ships such as destroyers or carriers.
Known frigate classes
- Covenant frigate - A small ship with little armament or energy shielding.
- CAR-class frigate - Another class of Covenant frigate.
- UNSC frigate - A small ship that supports larger ships and ferries equipment and soldiers.
- Charon-class light frigate - A lightly armed variant designed for troop deployment.
- Stalwart-class light frigate - A variant competent with troop deployment and combat.
- Paris-class heavy frigate - A heavier variant of the standard UNSC frigate.
- Strident-class heavy frigate - A heavily armed frigate equipped with energy shielding.
- Anlace-class frigate
- Fast frigate - A lightly armed, but fast, warship.