|There is more information available on this subject at Destroyer on the English Wikipedia.|
A destroyer is a type of warship in both the UNSC and Covenant navies. In seaborne navies, a destroyer has been defined as a fast and maneuverable yet long-endurance warship intended to escort larger vessels in a fleet or battle group and defend them against smaller, short-range but powerful attackers (such as a fighters).
The destroyers used by the UNSC are roughly the same size as a UNSC frigate, but are designed with greater emphasis on firepower and armor over versatility. Aside from using them as fleet escorts, the UNSC is known to deploy destroyers on patrol and scouting operations.
The Covenant navy also includes vessels classified as destroyers. Covenant destroyers are employed in a variety of roles, including serving as escorts for larger ships such as carriers, whilst being themselves escorted by smaller ships like frigates. The Covenant also use destroyers in planetary glassing operations.
The Forerunners possessed an analogous ship classification, although their definition of a destroyer is significantly different from that used by the younger races. For example, the experimental flagship UNSC Infinity and the CAS-class assault carrier Shadow of Intent, both highly formidable command vessels, are considered mere destroyers by the Forerunner definition.
- Main article: UNSC destroyer
- Diligence-class destroyer - A former Colonial Military Administration (CMA) ship pulled into UNSC service.
The UNSC Kronstadt, a Diligence-class destroyer.
The CMA Heracles, a Hillsborough-class destroyer.
The UNSC Heart of Midlothian, a Halberd-class destroyer.
- UNSC heavy destroyer - An Insurrection era destroyer, one of the first ship types to receive a Magnetic Accelerator Cannon.
- Main article: Covenant destroyer
- CPV-class heavy destroyer - A destroyer deployed aggressively, often engaging hostiles first. CPV-class vessels are part of the "executioner" category; largely being crewed by those who were condemned for disloyalty or disobedience.
- RPV-class light destroyer - A light destroyer used for reconnaissance and pursuit of hostile vessels.
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, p. 139
- Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe, "Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian"
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, p. 145
- Halo Wars
- Halo Waypoint: Catalog Interaction - Page 6
- Halo Waypoint: Catalog Interaction - Page 14
- Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Clarity & Grace
- Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder: Have S'moa
- Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe, "The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole"
- Halo: Evolutions, "The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole", p. 463
- Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, p. 48
- Halo: Warfleet, Executioners, p. 60-61
- Halo Waypoint: Universe - Covenant Destroyer