Heian is a world located within the Milky Way's Arc star cluster. The planet is terrestrial, with a breathable atmosphere and an Earth-like surface. Meteor showers are common on this world, as thousands of asteroids orbit the planet.
During the Human-Covenant War, the world was the site of an important Covenant logistics base, from which supplies were delivered to the rest of the planets in the system, as well as the entire sector. The UNSC deployed Spartan Cal-141 and a team of Orbital Drop Shock Troopers on the planet, with the mission to assassinate the Prophet in charge of Covenant operations in the system, in order to stop the enemy supply chain. They were also tasked with gathering intelligence on the unknown ruins. The team succeeded in their mission, but the Spartan and the ODST Checkman were killed. The photographs taken by the team were later studied by the Department of Xenoarchaeological Studies at the University of Edinburgh along with the University of Calcutta as a part of an extensive investigation of Forerunner relics.
Heian is home to ancient ruins of unknown origin. Their architecture appears to be a mix of a variety of ancient human styles, including Greco-Roman, Middle Eastern and East Asian, with subtle Forerunner themes. East Asian themes are clearly among the most prevalent in the structures, including decorations containing dragon-like creatures and statuaries distinctively similar to statues of Buddha.
Most of the buildings have pagoda-like roof structures. Overall, the designs are very ornate and full of carvings. Curiously, the overall scale of most structures is massive; one step in a staircase may be the height of an average human. Some structures seem like a mix of ancient and relatively modern industrial architecture, including a water processing facility with aqueducts and valve systems nigh-identical to those used by humans.
The ruins also sparked interest within the scientific community. The Department of Xenoarchaeological Studies at the University of Edinburgh, when analyzing the photographs taken by the ODST team from the ruins on Heian, found the obvious elements of human architecture in the structures puzzling, wondering if their builders borrowed from human architecture or the other way around.
|Browse more images in this article's gallery page.|
- The planet is likely named after either the Heian period of Japanese history, or the city from which the period takes its name.
- The fact that the ruins on the planet were relatively intact suggested that either the planet was missed when the Forerunners purged the galaxy of any trace of the prehistoric human civilization or that the planet was abandoned during one of humanity's technological dark ages long before their war with the Forerunners.
List of appearances
- Halo Legends
- The Babysitter (First appearance)
- Halo: Evolutions
- From the Office of Dr. William Arthur Iqbal (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Evolutions, From the Office of Dr. William Arthur Iqbal
- Halo Legends, The Babysitter: "Satellite recon shows radar and magnetic signatures on Heian..."