Flaktura Workshop Skewer
From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
|Flaktura Workshop Heavy Speargun|
174 centimeters (68.7 in)
|“||Bold and brutal, this Banished weapon fires a single massive armor-piercing harpoon. It has proven useful in hunting both beast and machine on Zeta Halo.||”|
The Skewer is an anti-tank weapon employed by Banished Jiralhanae, with such operators known as "Skewer-bearers". The launcher fires a rocket-sized spike capable of piercing through the armor of a main battle tank, or punch through the energy shields and titanium shell of GEN3 MJOLNIR armor, even from range. The launcher has an emitter of some kind, likely of gravitic operation similar to other Jiralhanae spike weaponry, which is used to launch the spike round and can be intensified - presumably to adjust the muzzle velocity of the fired projectile. The Skewer was manufactured by the Forge of Teash and developed by the Flaktura workshop.
When ready to fire, the Skewer's spike projectile in the barrel can be seen sticking out of the weapon; underneath the barrel is a sword-length bayonet. When used against infantry, the force of the projectile impact is enough to send the target flying back, or knock them off elevated surfaces. They can also be used as anti-air weapons, with the spikes capable of penetrating the armored cockpit of a Phantom dropship. Interestingly, when wielded by the large Skewer-bearers, it resembles an assault rifle, whilst human users instead hoist it over the shoulder like a rocket launcher.
The Skewer's design is a traditional one of Jiralhanae origin, predating the Brutes' joining of the Covenant hegemony circa 2492. Its precursor, the heavy speargun, was used by Jiralhanae in big-game hunting.
Skewers are operated by Banished Skewer-bearers. Ostensibly intended for an anti-tank role, Jiralhanae troops frequently take glee in using them as mortars to devastating effect against enemy infantry. The Jiralhanae Choros wielded a Skewer during the raid on the keyship Anodyne Spirit during the Second Ark Conflict. Later, several Skewers were employed by Banished forces on Reach during Operation: WOLFE. During the Battle for Zeta Halo in 2560, the Skewer was employed by Jiralhanae Snipers in the Banished. The weapon was used for both hunting and anti-vehicular combat.
During the war on Installation 07, unique variations of the Skewer were widely circulated among Banished Jiralhanae hunting parties operating on the ring.
|“||Kinetic weapon that shoots a single, hit damage spike.||”|
The Skewer is a powerful anti-materiel rifle that fires 1 round, similar to the Railgun minus the splash damage and charge-up delay. It is capable of destroying light and air vehicles in 1 or 2 shots and pushing back heavy vehicles. In the campaign, the Skewer is wielded exclusively by Jiralhanae Snipers. In multiplayer, it is capable of killing a Spartan in 1 hit regardless of the location of its body.
Despite the in-game informational pop-up describing the skewer as breach-loaded, it is, in fact, muzzle-loaded.
|Browse more images in this article's gallery page.|
Early concept art exploration of the Skewer for Halo Infinite.
A Jiralhanae Sniper armed with a Skewer.
A Spartan-IV reloading a Skewer in Halo Infinite's multiplayer.
List of appearances
- Halo: Shadows of Reach (First appearance)
- Halo Infinite
- Halo: The Rubicon Protocol
- Sacrifice, the short story included in certain copies of Halo: Shadows of Reach, described the Skewer as magazine-fed. However, gameplay from Halo Infinite later proved this false. It is possible that the Skewer was originally intended to be magazine-fed, but was redesigned after the story was published.
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 476
- Halo Support, Halo Infinite Weapon, Equipment, and Vehicle Inventory (Retrieved on May 5, 2023) [archive]
- Halo: Shadows of Reach, chapter 12
- Halo Waypoint, Canon Fodder - Showcase Sensitive (Retrieved on Jun 16, 2021) [archive]
- Halo Infinite, gameplay
- Halo Infinite, Forge - Skewer description: "Bold and brutal, this Banished weapon fires a single massive armor-piercing harpoon. It has proven useful in hunting both beast and machine on Zeta Halo."
- Halo: Shadows of Reach - Adjunct: Sacrifice
- Halo Infinite, Personal AI dialogue
- Halo: Shadows of Reach - Adjunct: Sacrifice "[Choros launched] his Skewer's immense spikes at an attacking Phantom's closed cockpit. One must have struck true, because the ship suddenly canted, slamming into the platform and then falling into darkness."
- Halo Infinite, Forge - Volatile Skewer description: "Skewer refitted to fire an explosive spike that detonates on impact."
- Halo Infinite, Academy - Weapon Drills - Skewer description