|There is more information available on this subject at Luna on the English Wikipedia.|
3,474.57 kilometers (2,159.00 mi)
Luna, often referred to as the Moon, is the only natural satellite of Earth. Luna is home to a large human population and the renowned Luna OCS Academy. Luna houses a number of skyhook defense complexes suspended in its low orbit.
Humans began settling on Luna around 2080. Luna has not been heavily terraformed, a result of its low gravity and lack of atmosphere. Instead, the habitats on Luna are sealed from vacuum and interconnected by tubes. By 2492, the governing body of Luna was known as Luna Confederated States, the State of Mare Nubium being one of the said states. The Academy at Mare Nubium, known more generally as the Luna OCS Academy, was located here. Despite its proximity to Earth, Luna was home to some degree of Insurrectionist activity; shortly after 2530, the parents of Michael Crespo died attempting to detonate a bomb attached to a government building on Luna.
During the Battle of Earth in late 2552, Luna's skyhook defense complexes came under attack by the Covenant and were defended by ONI Security personnel. Other Covenant forces attacked Luna's cities to ensure that the UNSC would not be able to launch a sneak attack from their Lunar military bases. Both Luna and Mars got hit particularly hard compared to other colonies in the Sol system, although they both fared better than Earth. The human population centers on the moon survived the Covenant assault relatively intact. Following the Human-Covenant War, Luna was home to the Office of Naval Intelligence vessel UNSC Rubicon, which was deployed to investigate an unknown Forerunner signal from Installation 00 in June 2557.
- State of Mare Nubium
- Mare Insularum
- Mare Imbrium
- Mare Frigoris
- Procellarum basin
- Tycho Observation Facility
|Browse more images in this article's gallery page.|
- Luna is the Latin word for Moon, and many Latin-based languages share the word.
- In many Earth-based maps in the Halo games, the Moon often appears to be larger than in real life.
- The Moon would be roughly 2,059.6 centimetres (67.57 ft) further from the Earth in 2552 than present day due to tidal acceleration forces.
- In the Halo: Reach live-action short Spaceport, Luna is a destination listed at the Manassas Spaceport.
Neil Armstrong landing on the moon.
Luna shortly before the Battle of Earth.
Luna, with the UNSC Infinity in the foreground.
Luna, with Oaxaca Station in the foreground.
Luna listed as a destination in the live action short Spaceport.
List of appearances
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (First mentioned)
- Halo 2 (First appearance)
- Halo 3
- Halo: The Cole Protocol
- Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
- Remember Reach
- Spaceport (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Cryptum
- Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
- The Commissioning
- Halo 4
- Halo: Escalation
- Halo 2: Anniversary
- Halo: New Blood (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Hunters in the Dark (Mentioned only)
- Halo Mythos
- Halo: Envoy (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Retribution (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Legacy of Onyx (Mentioned only)
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 34
- ^ a b Halo Waypoint: Halo 4 Interactive Guide
- ^ Halo Encyclopedia, page 44
- ^ Halo Encyclopedia, page 294
- ^ Halo: Evolutions, "The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole", page 431
- ^ Halo: Evolutions, "The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole", page 433
- ^ ONI Candidate Assessment Program V5.02A (Mickey)
- ^ Halo: New Blood, page 101 (Google Play edition)
- ^ Halo Waypoint: Humans
- ^ Eleventh Hour reports, Provenance
- ^ Halo Legendary Crate, Data Drop #2