From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
|There is more information available on this subject at Sol system on the English Wikipedia.|
Sol as seen from Mars.
The Sol system, also referred to as the Solar system, is the home star system of Humanity. And Earth, the human homeworld, holds the seat of power for both the Unified Earth Government, and the United Nations Space Command.
Citizens of the system are referred to as "Solarian".
|Mercury (Sol I)||Tiny, barren world.|
|Venus (Sol II)||Failed terraforming project.|
|Earth (Sol III)||The human homeworld, home to the headquarters of the UEG and the UNSC. Also the site of Kupiga Simu, a Sol system communications transmitter.||Luna - Earth's only natural satellite. Home to Sol's oldest Officer Candidate School, the famed Luna OCS Academy.|
|Mars (Sol IV)||Humanity's first colonized planet and terraformed to have an Earth-like climate.||Phobos - Site of a Penal colony.|
|Jupiter (Sol V)||A gas giant, and second largest body in the Sol System.|
|Saturn (Sol VI)||A gas giant known for its bright surrounding rings. Saturn is the third largest body in the Sol System. Its practical uses to the UNSC are limited, and therefore it is mostly just a tourist destination.|
|Uranus (Sol VII)||Gas giant with anomalous properties.||2011 QF99 - One of Uranus' trojan asteroids, it features an anomaly of some kind and is surrounded by an exclusion zone.|
|Neptune (Sol VIII)||Named after the Roman god of the sea. Furthest away from Sol, it is a gas giant that is relatively unexplored.||N/A|
|Kuiper Belt||Asteroid belt||Ixion - A minor planet and the last chartered colony in the Sol system.|
|Pluto||A diminutive planetoid once classified as a planet.||Numerous space stations orbit it.|
- This section needs expansion. You can help Halopedia by .
Rise of humanity
Just prior to the January 1, 2362 launch of the Odyssey, Ixion would become the last chartered solar colony. With the Odyssey's launch, the first wave of human expansion outside the system would take place.
By 2390, the Sol system was becoming increasingly unstable. The UEG was pressured to demilitarize the system, which came in tandem with a second colonization effort of Reach in the Epsilon Eridani system.
- Main article: Human-Covenant war
On October 20, the Fleet of Sacred Consecration was detected near the moon of Io. Soon after, the Fleet appeared near Earth, commencing the Battle for Earth. Over the next few months, battles on Earth and elsewhere in the system would take place. The Battle of Mare Erythraeum on Mars would take place during this time frame. The UNSC Home Fleet would be utterly devastated by November 17 with the arrival of the Anodyne Spirit and Truth's fleet. One of final skirmishes on Earth would take place on December 3, during Operation: MARSH FLASH.
Despite massive Covenant assault across the Sol system even on Sol colonies' cities, many of the human population centers of Sol colonies, such as Mars, and Luna in the system survived the assault relatively intact, although the majority of Earth habitats have been destroyed. In aftermath of the Battle for Tribute with the loss of over half of the population on Tribute, Earth was unable to afford to spare any immediate assistance with Sol’s colonies that has been left in ruins during the Covenant onslaught on the Sol system.
- Main article: Created uprising
With the arrival of the Created's Guardians during The Reclamation, Forerunner facilities across the system triggered failsafe mechanisms making them temporarily inert or inaccessible. Following their arrival, Sol territories fell under the control of the Created and started broadcasting their signals.
Non-canon and dubious canon appearances
- Main article: Silver Timeline
|This article contains information about the Silver Timeline, and is not a part of the established Halo canon.|
The Sol system, also referred to as the Capital System, is a planetary system that includes Mercury, Earth, the Oort Cloud, and Jupiter. It is home to billions. Intrasystem travel is routine.
- Sol is the original Latin and the actual scientific name for Earth's sun. This designation and name has actually been used instead of "Solar System" in many science fiction novels.
- Sol is also an emblem option in Halo 3 and Halo: Reach.
List of appearances
- Halo Encyclopedia (2009 edition) - Locations: The Sol System, page 282-283
- Halo Encyclopedia (2011 edition) - Locations: The Sol System, page 294-295
- Halo Waypoint, Universe - Earth (Retrieved on Jun 1, 2020) [archive]
- Halo Waypoint, Universe - UEG (Retrieved on Jun 1, 2020) [archive]
- Halo Waypoint, Universe - UNSC (Retrieved on Jun 1, 2020) [archive]
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 40-41
- Halo Mythos - The Interplanetary War, page 50-51
- Halo: Reach Limited Edition, Intersystem News, LCDR Miranda Keyes Awarded Silver Star
- Halo: New Blood, p. 26-27
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 41
- Halo Waypoint - Universe, Locations, Mars (Retrieved on Feb 25, 2021) [local archive] [external archive]
- Halo Mythos - Rise of Humanity, page 47
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 39
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 21
- Halo Encyclopedia (2009 edition) - Famous UNSC Ships, page 256-257
- Halo Encyclopedia (2011 edition) - Famous UNSC Ships, page 268-269
- Xbox.com, Halo Storyline: (Additional copy on HBO Forums) (Retrieved on Apr 24, 2008) [local archive] [external archive]
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 42
- Halo Legendary Crate - Data Drop #2
- Halo 2, campaign level Cairo Station
- Halo: Uprising, issue 1
- Halo 3, campaign level Crow's Nest
- Halo: New Blood, page 101 (Google Play edition)
- Halo Waypoint, Universe - Humans (Retrieved on Jun 1, 2020) [archive]
- Halo: Uprising, issue 3
- Halo Waypoint, Tribute (Retrieved on Jun 1, 2020) [archive]
- Halo 5: Guardians Limited Edition, Dossier files - Holly Tanaka
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 19
- Halo: Fractures, Rossbach's World
- Halo: The Series, Dr. Catherine Halsey's Computer (Retrieved on Mar 25, 2022) [local archive] [external archive]