Epsilon Eridani system
|There is more information available on this subject at Epsilon Eridani system on the English Wikipedia.|
Distance from Sol:
At least seven
Two asteroid belts
The Epsilon Eridani system (sometimes rendered ε Eridani) is a planetary system situated 10.5 light-years from Earth, is identified as a region in FLEETCOM Sector One. It was home to several habitable planets colonized by the Unified Earth Government, most notably Reach. At 10.5 light-years from its sister system, the Sol system and is one of the closest neighbors of humanity's homeworld.
In the summer of 2552, the Covenant invaded the system and attacked Epsilon Eridani's major colonies. Reach ultimately fell to the Covenant and was glassed, while Tribute was brutally assaulted and partially glassed. Following the Human-Covenant War, at least Tribute and Beta Gabriel had been resettled by humanity.
By the early 21st century, scientific observation had deduced the presence of an inner rocky asteroid belt, an outer icy belt, and at least three planets: a gas giant the size of Jupiter, and possibly two terrestrial planets, near the inner and outer belts, respectively. The Epsilon Eridani system was recognized to have an improbably high number of habitable planets, a fact that was seen as serendipitous to the early colonization efforts. Initial colonization efforts in the system faced significant challenges in marshalling political and economic support. Interest in the system's colonization potential initially focused on Tribute and Circumstance, though it was Reach that would soon capture the attention of UEG planners.
Colonization and human hold
The system was originally colonized by the colony ship Odyssey with the first wave of humanity's extrasolar colonization in 2362, landing on Reach. Afterwards, Tribute was colonized on August 8, 2364 when CAA Casbah arrived and established the initial navigation and communication satellite constellation on the planet, with Circumstance following shortly after. By the late 25th century, the system had become home to many of the UNSC's strongholds and military bases, such as Reach. It was protected by the UNSC Epsilon Eridani Fleet. Before the Fall of Reach, Epsilon Eridani's superior interstellar jump point had been the most active Slipstream space transfer zone (arrivals and departures) for over thirty years, with Epsilon Eridani's inferior IJP and Sol's superior IJP regularly trading second and third place spots.
System wide assault
In 2552, the system came under attack by the Covenant. Initially, the Fleet of Valiant Prudence made landfall on Reach triggering WINTER CONTINGENCY. Soon after Teller Station of Site 17 in the system's Oort cloud was attacked by the fleet. At the same time as these events, the other colonies of Epsilon Eridani came under assault by the Covenant. By August 30th, Reach was glassed. Combat continued on and around Tribute up until around November 2nd, when Covenant forces began attacking one another.
Between 2555 and 2558, UNSC CENTCOM for Region One enter into negotiations with Covenant remnants around Tribute. By 2589, the planet had returned to a livable state and continued to see an influx of new colonists.
The Epsilon Eridani system is home to at least seven planets and two asteroid belts. A massive Oort cloud is located on the outer edge of the system. At least six of the worlds that orbit Epsilon Eridani are known to be inhabited:
- Epsilon Eridani II: Reach – The former military center of the UNSC, and the most developed human colony. Glassed in 2552 and partially habitable by 2589.
- Epsilon Eridani III: Tribute – A major human colony, known for its strong industrial capacity and large population. Partially glassed during the Battle of Tribute, under UEG control as of 2558.
- Epsilon Eridani IV – known to be the site of an Insurrection.
- Beta Gabriel – largely uninhabited, converted into an outdoors resort by wealthy entrepreneurs. Occupied by a Brute pack during or otherwise soon after the Fall of Reach.
- Circumstance – A world-famous for its universities and courts of justice. Status unknown.
- Tantalus – A human colony with an unknown status after the Covenant's siege in the system.
List of appearances
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, p. 289 (2001); p. 343 (2010)
- Halo: Evolutions, "The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole" , p. 468
- Halo Encyclopedia, p. 290-291 (2011)
- Bungie.net: Halo: Reach - Intel
- Halo: Reach, Recon armor bonus content
- Halo Waypoint: Reach
- Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide, p. 177
- Halo: First Strike, Tug o' War (2010)
- Halo Waypoint: Tribute
- Halo 5: Guardians, multiplayer level, Fathom
- Wikipedia: Epsilon Eridani
- Halo Encyclopedia (2011), p. 43
- Halo: Reach, campaign level, Winter Contingency
- Halo: Fleet Battles, Scenario Three: Evacuate
- Halo 2: Anniversary, campaign level, The Heretic
- Halo: Reach, campaign level, The Pillar of Autumn
- Halo 5: Guardians Limited Edition, Spartan Locke's Classified Orders
- Halo: Reach, campaign level, Lone Wolf
- Halo: First Strike, p. 232
- Halo: Contact Harvest, Prologue
- Halo Wars: Official Strategy Guide, p. 22
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, p. 324
- Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe, "Stomping on the Heels of a Fuss"
- Halo: Contact Harvest, p. 62
- Halo Encyclopedia, p. 287