UNSC Fleet Command
UNSC Fleet Command (FLEETCOM), also known as Fleet Operations Command is the primary operations group of the United Nations Space Command Navy, responsible for ship deployment, mission structures, and space operations. It is subordinate to the UNSC Naval Command. All naval vessels report through FLEETCOM and the commanding admirals of the UNSC.
During the Fall of Reach, FLEETCOM HQ commanded over 150 vessels of the Epsilon Eridani Fleet as well as the twenty orbital defense platforms when the Covenant Fleet of Particular Justice invaded the colony. Nonetheless, Reach was glassed, with FLEETCOM HQ being one of the first headquarters to fall.
UNSC Fleet Command is the primary operational group of the UNSC's naval forces. FLEETCOM has oversight of ship deployment, mission structures, and space operations, including troop transport and space fighter operations. FLEETCOM is dominated by the UNSC Navy, with token representation by the UNSC Marine Corps. Fleet Command is responsible for the security of Unified Earth Government space and transport of UNSC combat forces to far-flung battles.
- Main article: Sector
A sector is a region of space as identified by the United Nations Space Command. Sectors usually contain several star systems, some of which contain UNSC colony worlds. Other sectors contain no planets at all.
The UNSC Navy designates sectors as "FLEETCOM Sector (number)" to denote the division of command the sector's inhabitants fall under. Other sectors are simply designated "Sector (letter)-(three numbers)".
There are three known FLEETCOM sectors:
- Sector One – This sector of UNSC-controlled space includes the colonies and planets of the Epsilon Eridani, Tantalus, and Lambda Serpentis systems. UNSC naval forces there were commanded by Admiral Roland Freemont Fall of Reach in Summer 2552. Sector One's forces were ordered to defend Reach at all costs.
- Sector Three – This sector of UNSC-controlled space includes the Sigma Octanus System. Commanded by Admiral Michael Stanforth in 2552, this sector was the site of the Battle of Sigma Octanus IV, one of the UNSC's few major victories against the Covenant.
- Sector Four – This sector of UNSC-controlled space includes the Eridanus system. During the decision process for SPARTAN-II candidates, Dr. Halsey visited the system to observe John-117 a few months before he was abducted.
- Main article: UNSC fleet
FLEETCOM controls a variety of different types of ships and vessels, each designed and utilized in battle-specific roles in interstellar warfare. Below is a listing of some of the types of vessels that are incorporated in a standard UNSC fleet:
- Corvette – A patrol and fast-attack vessel, occasionally used in scouting or intelligence-gathering operations.
- Frigate – These relatively small and lightly armed ships typically escort larger vessels.
- Destroyer – Similar to frigates, UNSC destroyers also provide escort for larger ships, though they are more capable of direct combat.
- Cruiser – A handful of these large, heavily armed, and heavily armored capital warships that emphasize armor and weaponry over fighter/troop deployment can be seen in a standard UNSC fleet.
- Carrier – A small amount of these massive ships that deploy fighter ships and groundside troops can be seen in a standard UNSC fleet.
- Battleship - Large ships equipped with powerful ship-to-ship weapons.
Known admirals of the UNSC Navy:
- Roland Freemont
- Ysionris Jeromi
- Carl Patterson
- Michael Stanforth
- Preston Cole
- Konrad Volkov
- Margaret Parangosky
- Dale Kilkin
- Terrence Hood
- J. Harper
- H.T. Ward
- Alexander Reaves
- Dimah Tchakova's mother
- Serin Osman
List of appearances
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (First appearance)
- Halo: First Strike
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx
- Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
- Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn (Mentioned only)
- Halo 4
- Halo: Initiation
- Halo: Escalation
- Halo: Fleet Battles
- Halo: Last Light
- Halo 5: Guardians
- Halo: Fractures
- Halo: Retribution
- Halo: Silent Storm