From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
UNSC carriers range from light warships to among the largest ships in service. The smallest light carriers can be lower than a kilometer from stem to stern, smaller than a cruiser, while the largest carriers are multiple kilometers long. Most carriers are crewed by hundreds to thousands and can carry numerous space, air, and ground vehicles. Befitting their role, their primary asset is a large number of space fighters or dropships.
Despite their size, UNSC carriers depend on their fighter wings for offense, though the heavy carriers are often equipped with at least one Magnetic Accelerator Cannon. Carriers also mount numerous point-defense guns, such as the M910 Rampart point defense network used by the Epoch-class, as well as several nuclear missiles of various types.
The Navy operates several carrier classes.[Note 1]
- Light carriers
- Poseidon-class light carrier – Sleek, elongated, and somewhat cylindrical in general shape. Its structure comprises two main sections covered with white plating; in the fore section, the plating mostly covers the vessel's dorsal surface.
- Heavy carriers
- Epoch-class heavy carrier – The heaviest variety of carrier in service behind only the immense supercarriers, the Epoch class' tonnage exceeds that of both the Poseidon and the Orion classes. Often forming the core of most UNSC fleets, the heavy carrier is capable of taking extreme damage in combat.
- Orion-class assault carrier – Considered state-of-the-art when it was introduced, the Orion-class assault carrier incorporated the miniaturized and reconfigurable automated factories and chemical processors that were commonly found in colony support vessels, allowing the carriers to produce fuel, spare parts, and rarely even complete combat vehicles without outside assistane.
- Infinity-class supercarrier – Currently the largest warship class in the UNSC Navy.
- Punic-class supercarrier – Used for direct confrontation with Covenant capital ships, and one of the few UNSC ships effective in this role.
- Phoenix-class support vessel – A colony ship classification used by the Unified Earth Government. At least one Phoenix, the UNSC Spirit of Fire, was modified for wartime use by the United Nations Space Command and redesignated a Phoenix-class support vessel.
There is also an unidentified model of UNSC carrier, which has a length of 3,000 meters (9,800 ft) and have a beam of 120 meters (390 ft). They are armed with one Magnetic Accelerator Cannon. Secondary armament is provided by 300 Archer missiles, while tertiary armament includes two fusion rockets. They carry approximately 2,100 and a large number of GA-TL1 Longsword interceptors or Pelican dropships. The UNSC Magellan is part of this class.
An unidentified carrier class, to which the UNSC Musashi belonged.
- This section needs expansion. You can help Halopedia by .
Ships of the line
|Class||Fleet or last known tactical grouping||Ship Name||Hull classification symbol||Last known captain||Notes|
|Epoch-class heavy carrier||Unknown||UNSC Epoch||Lead ship|
|Infinity-class supercarrier||Expeditionary Strike Group 1||UNSC Infinity||INF-101||Thomas Lasky||Lead ship. Missing over Installation 07.|
|Unknown||UNSC Eternity||Not Completed|
|Orion-class assault carrier||Unknown||UNSC Fifth Winter|
|UNSC Orion||Lead ship|
|Phoenix-class carrier||Third Fleet||UNSC Spirit of Fire||CFV-88||James Cutter||Active but officially listed as lost with all hands.|
|Poseidon-class light carrier||Unknown||UNSC Milwaukee|
|UNSC Poseidon||Lead ship|
|Punic-class supercarrier||Unknown||UNSC Punic||Lead ship|
|Epsilon Eridani Fleet||UNSC Trafalgar||Flagship of Epsilon Eridani Fleet. Destroyed over Reach|
|Unknown||UNSC Home Fleet||UNSC Stalingrad||Carl Patterson|
|Third Fleet||UNSC Totem Lake|
|Unknown||UNSC All Under Heaven|
List of appearances
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (First appearance)
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx
- Halo: Legacy of Onyx
- Halo: Evolutions
- Halo: Fall of Reach
- Halo: The Fall of Reach - The Animated Series
- Halo: Outpost Discovery
- Halo 4
- Halo: Legacy of Onyx
- The Atlas as seen in Halo: Fall of Reach - Boot Camp and the Musashi as seen in Fall of Reach - Invasion do not appear to belong to any of the established carrier classes. The former shares design features with the Phoenix-class colony ship and the Epoch-class carrier while the latter vaguely resembles the Halberd-class light destroyer. The Atlas was later depicted in Halo: The Fall of Reach with a completely different design reminiscent of the Punic-class supercarrier; while the newer depiction is presumably the ship's canonical appearance, the prior incarnation may nonetheless represent a canonically distinct class.