Close-in weapon system
Varies; typically 50mm high-explosive
Magnetic linear accelerator (MLA)
A point-defense gun is a type of United Nations Space Command starship-mounted magnetic accelerator weapon. Though several models exist, the most common type of point-defense gun fires 50mm high-explosive projectiles.
The point-defense gun fills a role similar to the CIWS designs created during the 20th century. Based around magnetic linear accelerator technology, it fires solid projectiles. Unlike Archer missiles and the MAC weapon systems mounted on capital ships, the point-defense guns are not used to engage Covenant capital ships. They are instead meant to intercept smaller threats like Type-31 Seraph fighters or boarding craft, and disrupt incoming plasma weaponry, to reduce the damage inflicted to a warship's superstructure.
Because human operators lack the reflexive responses necessary to operate the point-defense guns to maximum effect, the autocannons are computer controlled and, if an AI is available, control is diverted to it. "Smart" AIs seem better able to operate the point-defense guns than standard computers and also lesser "dumb" AIs. Nonetheless, in times of need, human operators are capable of manning the turrets when an AI is unable to.
Point-defense guns have been standard armament on UNSC vessels since the Insurrection, a common model being the M810 Helix. Later, Halcyon-class cruisers used a dual-barreled point-defense weapon system designated as the M910 Rampart point defense network.
During the opening stages of the Battle of Installation 04, the ODSTs of Fireteam Raven were instructed by Wellsley to man the UNSC Pillar of Autumn's defensive guns to fend off several waves of Seraph and Banshee fighters. During the later human occupation of Installation 04, the ODSTs that recaptured and secured the wreckage of the UNSC Pillar of Autumn from the Covenant managed to scavenge several of the ship's 50mm turrets. The ODSTs utilized the scavenged defense weapons and used them as anti-air defensive emplacements at Alpha Base.
- M810 Helix point defense gun – Used on Valiant-class super-heavy cruisers, Epoch-class heavy carriers, and UNSC heavy destroyers.
- M800 Rampart point defense gun – Used on refitted Phoenix-class colony ships.
- M870 Rampart point defense gun – Used on Gladius-class heavy corvettes, Charon-class light frigates, Stalwart-class light frigates, Strident-class heavy frigates, Halberd-class destroyers, and Epoch-class heavy carriers.
- M910 Rampart point defense network – Used on Paris-class heavy frigates, Halcyon-class light cruisers, and Autumn-class heavy cruisers.
A Halcyon-class cruiser defending itself from Covenant boarding craft using its point defense guns.
|Browse more images in this article's gallery page.|
List of appearances
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (First appearance)
- Halo: The Flood
- Halo 3
- Halo 3: ODST
- Halo Legends
- Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
- Halo: Reach
- Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
- Halo 4
- Halo: Fractures
- Halo: Envoy (Mentioned only)
- Halo Encyclopedia, page 315 (2011)
- Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe, "The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole", page 475
- Halo: The Flood, page 215
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 272
- Halo: Warfleet, page 19
- Halo: Fireteam Raven, level Escape
- Data Drop 5
- Halo: The Flood, Chapter 5, page 137 (2003 paperback); page 153 (2010 paperback)