Command Network Module
From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
The Command Network Module allows users to communicate and synchronize with the UNSC battle network in real-time. The connection to the battlenet can be further enhanced by integrating a Hardened Uplink to the CNM.
After the Human-Covenant War, built-in CNM suites have been integrated to the helmets of the [GEN2] variants of the Commando-class, the MP-class Mjolnir, and the INTRUDER-class Mjolnir. However, certain Command Network Modules are still external attachments, like the fifth-generation AN/PCK-440 FASCINATOR module on the MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor [GEN3] armor.
The CNM has multiple observed modules, each with its own distinct physical appearance.
The AN/PCK-221 FARNDALE is an uplink co-processor manufactured by the Watershed Division, allowing real-time access to Office of Naval Intelligence Military Intelligence (ONI MILINT) data vaults.[Note 1] The FARNDALE module resembles a cube, and can be worn on either side of the helmet. Its adoption is reserved for personnel employing the Recon helmet during sensitive operations.
The FARNDALE module has been observed to be compatible with the following helmets:
- Mjolnir Mark V [B]
The AN/PCK-440 FASCINATOR is a fifth-generation Command Network Module typically employed by members of the UNSC special forces. Manufactured by the Watershed Division, the AN/PCK-440 resembles its predecessor, the AN/PCK-221. The FASCINATOR module has been observed to be compatible with the following helmets:
Manufactured by Beweglichkeitsrüstungsysteme, the AN/PZY-6011Y TYPHON model augments the situational images for upper-echelon command intelligence analysis. The TYPHON module is standard issue to UNSC Special Forces unit commanders. It features two circular sensors, and can be worn on either side of the helmet. A Command Network Module-Improved (CNM-I) utilizing the TYPHON variant has been observed on the HAZOP-class Mjolnir helmet.
The TYPHON module has been observed to be compatible with the following helmets:
- Air Assault
- CH252 helmet
- EVA [C]
- Mark V
- Mjolnir Mark V [B]
- Mark VI
- Military Police
The CNM serves as a cosmetic option and has no impact on gameplay.
The TAC/RS/STARLIGHT attachment, identified as a CNM in Halo: Reach, and the FARNDALE module are available as attachments on several helmets in the armor permutations of Halo: Reach. The device is priced at different levels of Credits, depending on the base helmets. In Halo: The Master Chief Collection, the same CNM-attached helmets are unlockable in Season 1: Noble.
The STARLIGHT CNM on the Operator helmet.[Note 3]
CNM attachments are available as customization options in Halo Infinite. The release of Halo Infinite was accompanied by a series of retcons, with a CNM being re-designated into the TAC/RS/STARLIGHT attachment, while the standard HUL module being re-designated into the CNM/BNR/FARNDALE.
Mark V [B] core
|Helmet Attachment||Manufacturer||Lore||Compatible Helmets||Rarity||Unlock Requirements|
|Watershed Division||More formally known as the AN/PCK-221, this uplink co-processor allows real-time access to ONI MILINT data vaults.||
||Rare||Purchase "Reach Operator Pack" Bundle from the Shop for 1,000 cR|
|Beweglichkeitsrüstungsysteme||The AN/PZY-6011Y TYPHON Command Network Module (CNM) augments the situational "picture" for upper-echelon command intelligence analysis.||
||Rare||Purchase "Reach Jump Jet Pack" Bundle from the Shop for 700 cR|
Mark VII core
- During the Halo: Reach Multiplayer Beta, the Mark V[B] helmet had a CNM upgrade available, though the CNM resembled a sun visor which extended above the visor. The device cost 2,000 cR, but was cut from the final game.
- During the Halo: Reach Multiplayer Beta, the CNM on the CQC helmet, along with UA attachment on the Mark V[B] helmet, was mislabeled as a HUL. The FARNDALE variant on the Military Police helmet, however, was correctly labelled "CNM".
- In the final release of Halo: Reach, two mislabeled helmet attachments involved the CNM:
- The FARNDALE CNM variant, originally identified as a HUL in Halo: Reach, mislabeled as a CNM on the EVA[C] helmet.
- The TAC/RS/STARLIGHT attachment, originally identified as CNM variant in Halo: Reach, was mislabeled as the UA/HUL-I on the Mark VI helmet.
- Although the ODST armor/HVY armor in the Halo 3 portion of Halo: The Master Chief Collection was based on the armor worn by Victor Ramos in Halo: Fireteam Raven, Ramos's helmet did not employ the UA and CNM attachments in Halo: Fireteam Raven.
An UNSC Army trooper employing the FARNDALE CNM on her helmet in Halo: Reach.
A GEN3 Mark VII-clad Spartan-IV with a CNM(5)/BNR/Fascinator helmet attachment in Halo Infinite.
List of appearances
- Halo 3 (Halo: The Master Chief Collection-only)
- Halo 3: ODST (First appearance)
- Remember Reach
- Halo: Reach
- Halo: Fireteam Raven
- Halo 5: Guardians
- Halo Infinite
- The FARNDALE module was introduced in Halo: Reach as a HUL module. It was retconned into a CNM and re-designated as "CNM/BNR/FARNDALE" in Halo Infinite Season 01: Heroes of Reach.
- The in-game options in Halo: Reach Armory erroneously refer to the standard HUL attachment on EVA[C] as "CNM" and "HUL".
- The STARLIGHT module was introduced in Halo: Reach as a Command Network Module. It was retconned into a RS module and re-designated as "TAC/RS/STARLIGHT" in Halo Infinite Season 01: Heroes of Reach.
- Halo: Reach, Armory
- Halo 5: Guardians, Spartan Appearance Customization: Commando Description "COMMANDO armor features an integrated Command Network Module (CNM) for real-time synchronization with the UNSC battlenet."
- Halo Infinite, Armor Hall: CNM(5)/BNR/FASCINATOR - Helmet Attachment Description "Known to ONI by the codename "FASCINATOR", the AN/PCK-440 "pick four-forty" is a fifth-generation hardened uplink rarely seen outside of UNSC special forces."
- Halo: Reach, Campaign models
- Halo 5: Guardians, Spartan Appearance Customization: Military Police Helmet Description "Previously available only to Beta-5 security teams and select Army rapid-reaction forces, Military Police helmets have found a home with Spartan-IV fireteams that require its hardened uplink, command network module, and remote sensor controller."
- Halo 5: Guardians, Spartan Appearance Customization: Intruder Description "The INTRUDER helmet features a full-featured Command Network Module and multi-channel drone controller. The drone controller interfaces directly with Unified Ground Command (UNICOM) kill box management and aerospace deconfliction systems."
- Halo Infinite, Armor Hall: CNM/BNR/FARNDALE - Helmet Attachment Description "More formally known as the AN/PCK-221, this uplink co-processor allows real-time access to ONI MILINT data vaults."
- Halo: Reach, Armory: Mark V[B], CQC, EOD, Operator, EVA, Security & CQB - UA/HUL Helmet Descriptions "Up-armored variant with hardened uplink module for MILINT acquisition."
- Halo: Reach, Armory: Recon - HUL Helmet Description "External hardened uplink for MILINT acquisition; reserved for sensitive OPs."
- Halo: Reach, Armory: HAZOP - CBRN/HUL Helmet Description "For operations in extremely hazardous environments; hardened uplink module."
- Halo: Reach, Armory: ODST - CBRN/HUL Helmet Description "For operations in hazard zones; hardened uplink module."
- Halo Infinite, Armor Hall: CNM/BNR/TYPHON - Helmet Attachment Description "The AN/PZY-6011Y TYPHON Command Network Module (CNM) augments the situational "picture" for upper-echelon command intelligence analysis."
- Halo: Reach, Armory: EOD, Operator, EVA, and Mark V - CNM Helmet Descriptions "Command network module; standard issue to UNSC Special Forces unit commanders"
- Halo: Reach, Armory: Grenadier - UA/FC Helmet Descriptions "Up-armored variant with command network and external uplink modules."
- Halo: Reach, Armory: Security - CBRN/CNM Helmet Descriptions "For operations in hazard zones; command network module."
- Halo: Reach, Armory: Military Police and CQB - HU/RS/CNM Helmet Descriptions "Hardened uplink/remote sensor package with command network module."
- Halo: Reach, Armory: HAZOP - CNM-I Helmet Description "Command network module-Improved; upgraded variant of the standard issue CNM unit."
- Halo: Reach, Armory: ODST and Air Assault - UA/CNM Helmet Descriptions "Up-armored variant with Command network module"
- Halo 5: Guardians, Nightfall in-game model
- Halo 3: ODST, Edward Buck's in-game model
- Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 26