OPERATOR refers to two distinct variants of Mjolnir armor. The GEN1 Operator variant, originally designed by Chalybs Defense Solutions, was designed for special forces within Beta-5 Division's Asymmetrical Action Group; while the GEN2 permutation designated Operator, manufactured by the Naphtali Contractor Corporation, is optimized for the operation of vehicles.
- 1 GEN1 information
- 2 GEN2 information
- 3 In-game information
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Gallery
- 6 List of appearances
- 7 Note
- 8 Sources
The Mark V variant of the armor was designed for use by Spartan operators within the ONI Beta-5 Division's Asymmetrical Action Group (AAG). The standard version of the helmet features a B5D-O/Optics suite, which is mounted on the forehead. The UA/HUL variant replaces the standard optics suite with an up-armor plate featuring a Hardened Uplink Module on the left side. Another variant, which is issued to unit commanders, features Command Network Module-Improved on the right side. The Operator systems's shoulder pauldrons are simply armored bands mounted on the user's base shoulder guards, with two string-like attachments descending from the bottom. There is a geometrical pattern emblazoned on the plate as well.
After the first wave of GEN2 systems, based on requests of veteran Spartan-II and Spartan-III operatives, the UNSC Ordnance Commission considered reassessing a refined and upgraded version of the Mark V EVA-class Mjolnir, specifically the customized suit worn by Emile-A239 complete with the death's head engraving on the visor. This led to the creation of the WRATH-class Mjolnir with the left shoulder pad based off the Mark V Operator's shoulders.
While the non-Spartan members of the Asymmetrical Action Group wear their own standard-issue armor, the Beta-5 Division contracted Chalybs Defense Solutions to develop a MJOLNIR variant designed to improve the performance of the AAG's Spartan personnel. The armor, which was jointly developed at the Beta-5 Division Ordnance Testing Facility and tested at Chalybs Testing Preserve,[note 1] can provide the wearer with detailed, on-the-fly intelligence through secure transmissions that can bypass most Covenant security networks.
Following the Human-Covenant War, the GEN1 Operator helmet has been forced out of its former secrecy within Beta-5. Available in limited numbers with Spartan Operations personnel, the helmet can be requisitioned for use with the Spartans' GEN2 armor.
The reactor of the GEN2 version of the OPERATOR armor is a low-set reactor pack. The helmet has a PV-20, which is a set of dual-locked rebreathers generally worn by pilots. The visor has an open visor view-plate for increased range of spectrum, with sensor fusion software that ties the info into the visor to be finalised. The chest has external harness bracers. Twin-release cables on the chest route energy expenditure to reserve systems.
Sometime after the Fall of Reach, the Operator armor was taken over by the Naphtali Contractor Corporation, after the abandonment of all CDS facilities on Meridian, and was tested extensively with live fire exercises in the NCC's abandoned shipyards on the outskirts of Abilene. Unlike its predecessor, it optimizes a Spartan for the operation and control of vehicles.
Operator armor has proven itself an adaptable combat ensemble in Spartan service, utilized by both pilots and force reconnaissance operatives.
Developed exclusively for the ONI's Beta-5 Asymmetrical Action Group.
Base cost: 7,000 cR, Sergeant
- Description: The B5D Facility has been the site of many unique development programs
UA/HUL cost: 2,500 cR, Sergeant
- Description: Up-armored varient with hardened uplink module for MILINT acquisition.
CNM cost: 1,000 cR, Sergeant
- Description: Command network module; standard issue to UNSC Special Forces unit commanders.
Cost: 28,000 cR, Commander
- Description: Developed for the Beta-5 Asymmetrical Action Group at ONI's Ordnance Testing Facility.
Available skins: Surface (SRFC)
Default unlock: Obtained by achieving Spartan Rank OP-4.
Surface unlock: Obtained by achieving Spartan Rank OP-9.
- Description: Tested in the NCC's adandoned shipyards on the outskirts of Abilene.
Halo 5: Guardians
Unlock: Rare REQ card
- Helmet description: Asymmetrical Action Groups are cross-branch special forces teams that deter, disrupt, and defeat novel threats to the UNSC. Forced out of the shadows, the OPERATOR [GEN1] helmets worn by these specialists has become available in limited numbers.
Unlock: Rare REQ card
- Helmet description: OPERATOR visor plates include hyperspectral optical sensors, though the sensor fusion software that would tie that information into VISR has yet to be finalized.
- Body description: OPERATOR armor has proven itself an adaptable combat ensemble in Spartan service, utilized by both pilots and force reconnaissance operatives.
- The helmet looks very similar to an updated concept of the MJOLNIR armor drawn by Eddie Smith which is featured in The Art of Halo.
- Although the Operator armor is used solely by the Asymmetrical Action Group, Emile-A239 wore an Operator shoulder piece on his left shoulder.
- In Halo Online's pre-alpha the PILOT-class Mjolnir used this design for its armor.
|Browse more images in this article's gallery page.|
The Mark V Operator helmet in Halo: Reach.
A Spartan sitting in a Pelican while wearing an Operator helmet.
The GEN2 Operator armor in Halo 4.
Hoya wearing the GEN2 Operator armor.
Halo 4 skins
Halo 5: Guardians skin
List of appearances
- Halo: Reach (First appearance)
- Halo 4
- Halo: Initiation
- Halo: Escalation
- Halo: Fleet Battles
- Halo 5: Guardians
- Halo Mythos
- ^ According to the Armory in Halo: Reach, the Operator armor was developed at the Beta-5 Division Ordnance Testing Facility. According to Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, the armor was developed by Chalybs Defense Solutions and was tested at Chalybs' Testing Preserve. The article assumes that the two organizations jointly developed the armor.
- ^ a b c d e f Halo: The Essential Visual Guide - Page 133
- ^ a b c d Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide - Pages 22, 172
- ^ a b c Halo: Reach - Armory description
- ^ a b Halo 4 - Armory description
- ^ Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder 5/6/2016: Noble Intentions
- ^ Halo 5: Guardians - Operator [GEN1] Armory description
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach - Covenant
- ^ a b Halo 5: Guardians - Armory description
- ^ Halo Waypoint: The Halo Bulletin 8.15.2012