From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
The Beta-5 Division is a cell of the Office of Naval Intelligence's Section Three. Like its parent section, the Beta-5 Division is often responsible for the development and application of top-secret, morally questionable projects. The cell is so secretive that few UNSC personnel, including those within ONI, are aware of its existence.
The Beta-5 Division was charged with operating the SPARTAN-III program prior to the implementation of the Spartan branch, though many SPARTAN-IIIs were placed under the operational command of other services. The Beta-5 Division also operates the Asymmetrical Action Group, which was created late in the Human-Covenant War in order to disrupt, disarm, and dissolve Covenant operations. Though the group was initially composed of unconventional warfare veterans, it eventually recruited Spartans into its ranks; the Beta-5 Division contracted Chalybs Defense Solutions to create a specialized MJOLNIR variant for the AAG's Spartan operators. Beta-5 also operated the Ferret program overseen by Rear Admiral Serin Osman.
The Beta-5 Division possesses extremely sophisticated decryption facilities.
By December 2553, prior to her ascension to the role of CINCONI, Rear Admiral Serin Osman served as the head of the Beta-5 Division. Dr. Henry Glassman was integrated into Beta-5's experimental research group for his work in astrophysics and quantum theory.
During the Battle of Earth, Doctor Veronica Clayton interrogated Frederic-104, questioning his decisions during the defense of Reach, suggesting that his mistakes had damaged the Spartans' ability to adequately defend the planet. The interrogation was interrupted by a furious Fleet Admiral Hood, and over her protests that he had no authority over Beta-5 protocol he ordered Blue Team to deploy to Earth's surface to take part in operations.
At somepoint, the Beta-5 operative who possessed the journal, as well as several artifacts pertaining to Spartan NOBLE Team, died; one of this operative's subordinates sent these contents in January 2610 to his cousin, a fellow Beta-5 operative. He warned his cousin about the dangers that possessing the artifacts could cause, as some individuals within Beta-5 Division would be willing to kill to keep their existence a secret.
List of appearances
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (First mentioned)
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx (First appearance)
- Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
- Halo: Reach (Mentioned only)
- Halo 5: Guardians (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Retribution (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page ??
- Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 133
- Halo: Reach
- Noble Team performance reports
- Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, pages 29, 62, 101, 103-105, 130, 139, 165
- Halo: Reach - The Armory
- Halo: Fractures, "A Necessary Truth" ("In fact, Serin Osman—the ONI admiral in charge of the Ferret program—was so concerned about the situation that she had warned Veta they might need to rethink building the team around Spartans.")
- Halo: Retribution, Chapter 2 ("Osman was the current head of the Beta-5 Division of Section Three operations, which ran the SPARTAN programs and most of ONI’s other black ops...")
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 55
- Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide, page 25
- Halo: First Strike, 2010 Edition
- Halo Legendary Crate, Data Drop #9
- Halo: Reach Legendary Edition - journal classification seal
- Halo: Reach Legendary Edition - package contents letter
- Halo: Reach Legendary Edition - journal note