OSTEO combat engineering suit
From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
"WE'VE GOT A NEW CONTACT, UNKNOWN CLASSIFICATION!"This article may contain information based upon upcoming, unreleased, or recently-released content, and may not be fully complete. Additionally, the information may be subject to change if it is based on pre-release material. Please update it as soon as any relevant and accurate material is available.
Array of contingency systems
The OSTEO combat engineering suit, also known as the HAZMAT armor, is a human armor system employed by unaugmented personnel as well as Spartan Operations personnel for HAZMAT operations. The suit was created as part of Project: OSTEO.
The OSTEO armor platform incorporates an array of contingency systems focused on surviving extended operations in extraordinarily harsh working and combat environments. It is designed to be used by both Spartans and non-augmented personnel in all manner of dangerous conditions. While the Spartans' MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor already protects against many things, the OSTEO is more specialized towards the specific role of protecting against natural and artificial environmental hazards, and provides a platform that is not exclusively usable by Spartans. Where MJOLNIR offer protections to a Spartan operating in compromised conditions, OSTEO-derived technologies maximize life maintenance effectiveness for extended periods, providing more optimized solutions for a wider range of suitable operators—including non-augmented military and civilian personnel. The OSTEO armor is also hardened against cyberattacks.
The OSTEO armor platform—even when utilized by civilians—is outfitted with onboard solutions to interface with various infotech and artificial intelligence control systems, which have become ubiquitously integrated into twenty-sixth century industrial and environmental infrastructures. These features give OSTEO wearers the agility to deal with both the technological and physical sides of hazardous events that might befall a human colony or installation.
In the years after the Human-Covenant War, private industry across several human colonies saw rapid development in many fields, with exoskeletal frames seeing considerable research and development. Project: OSTEO and its resulting combat engineering suit were among the fruits of these advancements. Primarily developed by Imbrium Machine Complex, the OSTEO armor system is the result of a shared-source initiative to build an armor platform wearable by both supersoldiers and non-augmented humans for everything from construction and exploration to security and combat applications. Refitted Mark VI helmets called Mark VI CBRN were used throughout the testing and evaluation of OSTEO. In the wake of the galaxy’s most recent conflicts, the United Nations Space Command has expressed interest in projects like OSTEO, modifying industrial-focused designs to used by Spartans and special forces operatives.
OSTEO armor is used by personnel who are sent on missions deep into dying Forerunner facilities, for hunters operating in and around poisoned water and air, search teams exploring sites scarred by chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear weapons used in the Human-Covenant War, as well as those facing pockets of Flood infestation. It is also used by Spartan combat engineers working in demolition and hazmat missions, in addition to carrying out specialist tasks which require super-human reactions, strength, and situational awareness.
A list of variants compatible with the OSTEO armor platform:
- Mark VI CBRN
- Project CORSAC
Like Chimera before it, the Hazmat armor core was available by default during Season 04: Infection, the fourth season of Halo Infinite multiplayer. It was first revealed on May 26, 2023, in an advertisement for a cross-promotion with Dr. Squatch soap.
Hazmat armor core
|Imbrium Machine Complex||Project: OSTEO combat engineering suits incorporate an array of contingency systems focused on surviving extended operations in extraordinarily harsh working and combat environments.||Common||Unlocked by default during Season 04: Infection|
|Imbrium Machine Complex||Spartan combat engineers work in close cooperation with their Army and Marine cousins in demolition and hazmat missions, in addition to carrying out specialist tasks which require super-human reactions, strength, and situational awareness.||Common||Unlocked by default during Season 04: Infection|
The following attachments are not exclusive to the OSTEO helmet, and are compatible with other helmets on the Hazmat core.
- Signaltech Deepeye
Concept art of the prosthetic limbs associated with the OSTEO combat engineering suit.
Hazmat (left), as seen on the Dr. Squatch-Halo Infinite tie-in website.
An infected Spartan wearing Hazmat during a game of Infection.
List of appearances
- Halo Infinite, Armor Hall: Hazmat - Armor Core Description "Project: OSTEO combat engineering suits incorporate an array of contingency systems focused on surviving extended operations in extraordinarily harsh working and combat environments."
- Halo Infinite, Armor Hall: Hazmat - Helmet Description "Spartan combat engineers work in close cooperation with their Army and Marine cousins in demolition and hazmat missions, in addition to carrying out specialist tasks which require super-human reactions, strength, and situational awarenes."
- Halo Waypoint - Halo Infinite, Customization Overview - Season 4 (Retrieved on Jun 19, 2023) [archive]
- Halo Waypoint, Canon Fodder 142: System Shocks (Retrieved on Jun 30, 2023) [archive]
- Twitter, Halo (@Halo): "TECH DATABASE - PROJECT: OSTEO The fruits of Project: OSTEO, this combat engineering suit is built to stand against all manner of threats and dangerous conditions, for use by both Spartans and non-augmented personnel. #FictionFriday" (Retrieved on Jul 2, 2023) [archive]
- Twitch, Halo: Halo Infinite Season 4 Preview (6/16 @ 1pm pt) "But also is unique because it is hardened against cyberattack. So, it is able to have a higher level of cybersecurity than any other cores or armors, and it's suited for the infection that we have." - Sean Baron (at 39:13) (Retrieved on Jun 16, 2023) [archive]
- Halo Infinite, Armor Hall: T21-HEX4 Utility Description "It's part of the shipping manifest of a complete OSTEO, but only IMC knows what it does, exactly."
- Halo Infinite, Armor Hall: Mark VI CBRN - Helmet Description "Refitted Mark VI helmets were used throughout the testing and evaluation of OSTEO."
- Twitter, Halo (@Halo): "Rank up your routine with the LIMITED EDITION Spartan Scrub soap and the new Spartan Shield deodorant from @drsquatchsoapco Plus unlock free Halo Infinite in-game content for Season 4 with the code inside the soap box!" (Retrieved on May 26, 2023) [archive]
- Dr. Squatch, Halo (Retrieved on May 26, 2023) [archive]