BR85 battle rifle
From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
|BR85 battle rifle|
The BR85N battle rifle, a variant of the BR85 SR.
Bullpup battle rifle
9.5×40mm M634 X-HP-SAP
36-round box magazine
950 meters (3,117 feet)[Note 1]
The BR85 entered service late in the Covenant War, but manufacturing concerns and logistical issues involved with its ammunition meant the BR85 was not widely adopted until after the Human-Covenant War ended. It was in service by the ODSTs assigned to the Carter Guard Armory in 2550, with Sergeant B. Wright employing one. Prior to March 2557 several BR85Ns were delivered to Argent Moon. By October 2558 the UNSC Infinity carried a large supply of BR85Ns. At the same time Liang-Dortmund Corporation security forces stationed on Meridian carried a large supply of BR85Ns. Numerous BR85Ns were transported unintentionally to Genesis when Cortana began to recall the Guardians there.
The BR85 Service Rifle is a gas-operated, magazine-fed battle rifle. A select-fire weapon, the BR85 is capable of firing three-round bursts and fully automatic fire. The BR85 is effective against most Covenant battle armor and the energy shielding of Sangheili harnesses and the plating of Armiger Soldiers; it also proves effective against the shields and plating of GEN2 MJOLNIR armor during War Games exercises. The BR85 can be fitted with a variety of scopes and receives a 36-round detachable box magazine.
BR85N Service Rifle
- Morph BR85N: Battle Rifle with Morph sight. Work continues on analyzing "resonance" exhibited by the Morph sight with certain weapons
- Classic BR85N: Battle Rifle with Classic sight. Tactical configuration fitted with rugged combat optics preferred by veteran Spartans.
- Longshot BR85N: Battle Rifle with Longshot sight. Marksman configuration preferred by many Requiem veterans.
- Sentinel BR85N: Battle Rifle with Sentinel sight. Delta-Six special forces configuration with variable-zoom 4×/6× optics; optimized for long-range, pinpoint lethality.
- Hybrid BR85N: Battle Rifle with Hybrid sight. Sangheili Carbine holoscope technology merged with human industrial methods. This is a Joint Task Force Sierra configuration undergoing evaluation by the UNSC Ordnance Commission.
- COG BR85N: Battle Rifle with COG sight. Army SPECWARCOM configuration currently undergoing final evaluation.
- Long barrel: Increases range of bullet magnetism and aim assist.
- Laser targeter: Increases weapon accuracy by reducing bullet spread.
- Silencer: Firing the weapon does not make the user show up on enemy radar. However, walking still gives away the user's position.
- Stabilization jets: Helps control vertical recoil.
- Kinetic bolts: Augments knockback and damage against vehicles.
- Energy bayonet: Increases melee damage and range, allowing for a one-hit kill against normal opponents.
- Knight blade: Increases melee effectiveness, with extra damage and knockback against vehicles.
- Extended magazine: Increases both ready and reserve ammunition capacity by 50%.
- Threat marker: Tracks targeted enemy personnel for a short time.
- Sound dampener: Increases effective range and reduces firing signature.
BR85 Heavy Barrel Service Rifle
- Main article: BR85HB battle rifle
A heavy-barreled version of the BR85 featuring a telescopic scope.
|See our gameplay information related to BR85 battle rifle on its gameplay page|
Changes from BR85HB in Halo 4 to Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
- More open sight picture due to new open-topped reflex sight replacing the smart-linked telescopic sight.
- Accuracy increased slightly when in smart-scope.
Changes from Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta to Halo 5: Guardians
- Reticle no longer shrinks in diameter when in smart-scope, and the inner secondary reticle is now shrunken in diameter permanently.
- Weapon features added magnetism.
- Shorter time between bursts and faster cyclic fire rate.
- Spread is almost entirely absent, providing higher overall accuracy.
- Fire rate is slowed.
- Random spread added.
- Random spread is replaced with added vertical recoil.
- Slightly slower burst fire rate.
- The weapon has been pulled closer to the player's face in smart-scope, decreasing the open picture originally present.
- Has less aim assist.
- Ironically, as with the M392 and M395 DMRs erroneously ejecting the signature shell casings of the Battle Rifle, the BR85N in Halo 5: Guardians now erroneously ejects what appear to be the M118 7.62×51mm shell casings of the DMR.
|Browse more images in this article's gallery page.|
Concept art and illustrations
Concept art of the BR85N customization in Halo 5: Guardians.
A render of the BR85N SR from the pre-Beta development stage of Halo 5: Guardians.
The BR85N in the Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta on Regret.
Smart scope with the BR85N by Fred-104 in the Halo 5: Guardians campaign, post-Overtime update.
First-person view of the BR85N on Riptide in Halo 5: Guardians.
Marines using the BR85 in the Halo Infinite announcement trailer.
Halo 5: Guardians skins
Halo 5: Guardians variants
List of appearances
- Halo 5: Guardians (First appearance)
- Halo Mythos
- Halo: Retribution
- Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual
- The tick marks on the BR85's smart-linked scope range between 100 and 950 meters. This presumably reflects the weapon's maximum effective range.
- Halo Waypoint, Canon Fodder - Locke and Load (Retrieved on Oct 24, 2015) [archive]
- Halo Wars 2, Phoenix Logs: Rise of Atriox I
- Halo 5: Guardians, campaign level Blue Team
- Halo 5: Guardians, Battle Rifle in-game weapon
- Halo 5: Guardians, campaign level Glassed
- Halo 5: Guardians, campaign level Reunion
- Halo: Retribution, chapter 15
- Halo 4, Battle Rifle in-game weapon