BR55HB battle rifle
|BR55HB battle rifle|
Bullpup battle rifle
115.8 centimetres (45.6 in)
Approximately 900 rounds per minute
The BR55HB SR entered service in 2548, serving alongside the standard BR55 Service Rifle. For decades, the BR55 had steadily gained favor over the long-serving M392 Designated Marksman Rifle. The introduction of the BR55HB SR led to an immediate increase in the BR55's popularity, prompting all branches of the UNSC Armed Forces, except the Army, to replace the M392 with the newer weapon.
As with the basic model, the BR55HB SR is employed as a medium-to-long range marksman rifle; though its barrel is 25.9 centimeters (10.2 inches)longer than that of the BR55, the BR55HB SR performs almost identically to its predecessor. It fires M634 X-HP-SAP round from a 36-round magazine, which fits flush in the receiver. The magazine housing is built directly into the underside of the stock of the rifle and is located behind the grip. Though the BR55HB SR is a select-fire weapon, it is most often used in its three-round burst mode. Despite firing a very powerful cartridge, the weapon is subject to little recoil, even when being fired automatically.
The BR55HB SR has reasonably high power, a decent rate of fire, and high accuracy with its 2x magnification scope. Its range is its primary advantage, allowing the player to engage at longer ranges by leading shots. The BR55HB SR has a slightly lower recoil than its BR55 predecessor and has less muzzle flash, although the rounds fired are still visible in the air; the rifle's updated design also boosts range and accuracy, increasing the effectiveness of the 9.5mm rounds it fires. The scope of the BR55HB SR allows a skilled marksman to easily take down an unshielded target from medium range, making the battle rifle the best alternative to sniper rifles.
Attempting to engage a target at longer ranges requires more rounds and less movement as the rounds become inaccurate over longer ranges. In close quarters combat it is fairly surpassed by the Covenant carbine, as the latter weapon is more capable of performing headshots. Furthermore, its magazine can be depleted rather quickly. The weapon requires a good amount of skill in order to use it. The user must have an understanding of how the weapon works, and what to do with it when a situation arises. Each bullet fired from the weapon can act as a tracer, and can give away the shooter's position, putting him at risk of return fire. While effective at long range against light or unshielded targets, the BR55HB's performance against shielded infantry at close range is extremely challenging; the BR55HB, while still very effective, is not the weapon of choice at close range because of its design, and the fact that it can be easily overpowered by the shotgun and energy sword.
Changes from the BR55 Service Rifle in Halo 2
- New reloading animation
- Decreased aim assist
- Slightly less recoil
- Slightly different firing sound
- Slightly lower rate of fire
- Decreased accuracy/greater spread
- Rounds lack hitscan properties, requiring greater lead on moving targets
|Browse more images in this article's gallery page.|
- Sometimes the battle rifle will have one or two extra rounds, causing a half burst. This is caused by retrieving ammunition from a Marine NPC. This can also be achieved if fired and simultaneously meleeing. The weapon would have fired one round, and the melee would have cut off the other two.
- The Marathon logo is located on the gun's left side, to the left of the ammunition counter display and roughly above the trigger guard and on the stock.
- WETA Workshop made a replica of the BR55HB SR, along with several other weapons, for use in the Halo: Landfall live-action shorts.
- Though the battle rifle is not usable in Halo 3: ODST, it makes a small cameo in the level, NMPD HQ.
- There are seven triangles on each side of the Battle Rifle's stock. A reference to Bungie's favorite number.
- The rifle seems to resemble the Khaybar KH-2002, HS Produkt VHS-2 and French FAMAS bullpup assault rifles.
Frank O'Connor (center) wielding a BR55HB SR prop from Halo: Landfall.
Detail of the BR55HB SR created by Weta Workshop.
A first-person view of the BR55HB SR in Halo 3.
List of appearances
- Halo: Landfall
- Halo 3
- Halo: Helljumper
- Halo 3: ODST (Cutscene only)
- Halo Legends
- Halo Mythos
- ^ Assuming the BR55HB has the same range as the XBR55.
- ^ a b c d e f Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 21
- ^ Halo: Contact Harvest, page 206
- ^ Halo Encyclopedia, page 304
- ^ a b Halo Waypoint, DMR
- ^ Halo: Last One Standing