From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
The Individual Combat Weapon System series (ICWS series), MA line, MA Assault Rifle series or MA series is a line small arms produced by Misriah Armory. It is the oldest rifle in use with the United Nations Space Command and is in use with every branch and division of the UEG's armed forces. Weapons of the ICWS series are given the prefix "MA".
MA series weapons are gas-operated, air-cooled, and utilize a rotating bolt. They are magazine-fed and commonly cambered in the 7.62×51mm round, with specialist ammunition available via request. Fire modes include single shot, burst, and fully automatic. They are easy to clean and use.
- MA1 Individual Combat Weapon System - The MA1 was presumably the first iteration of the MA series. It was likely the immediate predecessor to the MA2.
- MA2B Individual Combat Weapon System - The MA2B is, in many respects, a cut-down version of the later MA5B. It is chambered for .390 caliber ammunition and can fire fifteen rounds per second. The MA2B sees sparse service with UNSC Special Forces operators.
- MA3A Individual Combat Weapon System was a predecessor of the MA5 series. By 2552, it had been retired from service, though it was popular on the black market and was commonly used by terrorist organizations.
- CM 300 carbine - a cost reduced version of the MA3 created for settlers and security forces in the late 24th-century.
- Main article: MA5 series
- MA37 Individual Combat Weapon System - The MA37 is the UNSC Army's variant of the MA5 series. The MA37 receives a thirty-two round magazine.
- MA40 assault rifle - An updated version of the MA37 that increases mechanical reliability and durability in more extreme conditions.
- MA5B Individual Combat Weapon System - The MA5B is commonly used by the UNSC Marine Corps and Navy. It saw more frequent usage before and during the early years of the Human-Covenant War. Following the introduction of the MA5C, it is often relegated to use in short-range combat. The MA5B receives a sixty-round magazine.
- MA5C Individual Combat Weapon System - The MA5C is an improvement upon the MA5B, featuring a heavier barrel with a one-in-seven twist, a stronger spring mechanism, and a sturdier, more ergonomically designed handguard. It receives a thirty-two round magazine; the reduced magazine capacity in relation to the MA5B is part of an effort to prevent wearing of the magazine spring. It is used by the Marine Corps and the Navy in short-to-mid range combat.
- MA5D Individual Combat Weapon System - The MA5D is the most recent iteration of the MA series.
- MA5K Carbine - The MA5K is a carbine variant of the MA5 that used almost exclusively by Special Forces units. It receives a thirty-round magazine and is seemingly modular, capable of being assembled in various configurations.
List of appearances
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 162
- Halo Waypoint, Assault Rifle (Retrieved on Mar 14, 2011) [local archive] [external archive]
- Halo Encyclopedia (2011 edition), page 316
- Halo Waypoint, Assault Rifle (Retrieved on Jan 4, 2020) [archive]
- Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 16
- Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual, page 188
- Halo Waypoint, Tech Article Index (Retrieved on Apr 15, 2011) [archive]
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 75
- Halo: First Strike, page 237
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 175
- Bungie.net, MA5C Assault Rifle (Retrieved on Dec 16, 2007) [local archive] [external archive]
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx: Cover art