Sangheili harness refers to a wide variety of armor systems used by the Sangheili soldiers of the Covenant during its time and its splinter groups. The differences between harnesses depend on rank, function, or style. Some harnesses are used by Sangheili of many ranks, while others are more restricted. High-ranking Sangheili may choose between a standard or ornamental design. Gold coloration is universally associated with field command authority. The Sangheili harness is almost always equipped with energy shielding, with some variants featuring enhanced shields. It also boosts the speed and strength of its user, though it remains less effective than the human-made MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor.
The Covenant Empire originally applied a fairly structured coding for both combat and ceremonial roles—with Sangheili-derived livery choices subsisting on the margin. After the empire's collapse, the armor color coding loosened significantly.
Though the combat harness is only one variant among many other Sangheili harnesses, the term "combat" is sometimes used off-handedly in a synecdochical manner when referring to other Sangheili harnesses, as the combat harness is the most basic, well-known, and widespread armor variant.
- 1 Sangheili harness variants
- 1.1 Arbiter body armor
- 1.2 Artifact retrieval harness
- 1.3 Ascetic harness
- 1.4 Assault harness
- 1.5 Ceremonial battle harness
- 1.6 Combat harness
- 1.7 Commander-class harness
- 1.8 Commando harness
- 1.9 Flight harness
- 1.10 General harness
- 1.11 Hesduros Zealot-class harness
- 1.12 High Councilor harness
- 1.13 Honor Guard harness
- 1.14 Infiltration harness
- 1.15 Invader harness
- 1.16 Kaidon harness
- 1.17 Officer harness
- 1.18 Outrider harness
- 1.19 Ranger harness
- 1.20 Storm harness
- 1.21 Ultra-class armor
- 1.22 Warrior-class harness
- 2 Human derivatives
- 3 Gallery
- 4 List of appearances
- 5 Sources
Sangheili harness variants
Arbiter body armor
- Main article: Arbiter body armor
Artifact retrieval harness
- Main article: Heretic Sangheili#Equipment
This harness was used to recover Forerunner artifacts. It has a breathing apparatus that enables breathing in hazardous environments. Sesa 'Refumee's detachment used this set.
- Main article: Ascetic harness
- Main article: Assault harness
The Assault harness is an ancient type of armor that is fully sealed. Formerly restricted by the Covenant, dissident Sangheili decided to reuse it during the Covenant civil war.
Ceremonial battle harness
- Main article: Sangheili Zealot#Ceremonial battle harness
- Main article: Sangheili combat harness
- Main article: Sangheili Commander#Armor
- Main article: Commando harness
- Main article: Flight harness
- Main article: Sangheili General#Armor configuration
Hesduros Zealot-class harness
- Main article: Sangheili Zealot#Hesduros-inspired design
High Councilor harness
- Main article: Sangheili High Councilor#Equipment
Honor Guard harness
- Main article: Sangheili Honor Guardsman
The harness was a highly ornamented, ceremonial equipment issued to Sangheili Honor Guardsmen. The elite Lights of Sanghelios wore a bright-white base armor variant, instead of crimson red.
- Main article: Infiltration harness
- Main article: Invader harness
- Main article: Kaidon harness
- Main article: Sangheili Major#Officer
- Main article: Outrider harness
The Outrider harness is an upgraded armor destined to improve survivability and effectiveness for its user, especially during risky missions on frontier worlds.
- Main article: Ranger harness
- Main article: Storm harness
The Storm harness is a variant produced by Lodam Armory originally for specialized shock troopers who operated on frontier worlds. The Storm variant gained prominence during the Sangheili civil war.
- Main article: Ultra-class armor
- Main article: Sangheili Warrior#Armor
The Warrior-class harness is reinforced with a shield-bolstering pauldron system. It also has an accentuated helmet design. The armor is typically golden, signifying a command position.
After the Human-Covenant War, the UNSC, ONI and various private corporations started developing a number of armor permutations based on Sangheili armor technology for the MJOLNIR (GEN2) platform. This was done either by cooperating with human-allied Sangheili—like those from the Swords of Sanghelios—, or by independent research, testing, and reverse-engineering, sometimes bordering on disrespect for safety protocols.
The ANUBIS-class helmet's enhanced sensor suite was developed in collaboration with Sangheili, though ONI security paranoia has slowed technology integration. The COPPERHEAD's external appearance and heads-up display bear Sangheili features, though it was not built from Sangheili technology properly. This Mjolnir variant is for militarized anthropology, including xenoanthropology. The FREEBOOTER's seamless nanofabricated armor panels hint at a Sangheili trade link. It is produced by Beweglichkeitsrüstungsysteme. The VALKYRIE-class Mjolnir is fully compatible with all known human and Covenant flight systems alike.
Sangheili-sourced high-tier nanolaminates and scanning elements make the Dauntless sensor grid and faceplate outrageously expensive even by Watershed Division standards. The Saturnine VISR hardware is fully compatible with Sangheili combat harness power and data feeds, leading some to believe it is intended for export.
The HELIOSKRILL was developed by a Sangheili artisan-armorer prodigy who managed to crack through the MJOLNIR platform thanks to her skill. This Mjolnir variant is produced by Kolaar Manufactorum. The name comes from a predatory creature from Sanghelios.
Concept art of a Sangheili Minor's combat harness.
Concept art of a cut Sangheili armor permutation bearing resemblance to the Commando harness.
List of appearances
- Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Clarity & Grace
- Halo 2: Anniversary
- Halo: Reach
- Halo 2: The Official Strategy Guide, page 141
- Halo: The Great Journey: The Art of Building Worlds, page 52
- Halo Archive: Canon Fodder Thread GrimBrother One's comment
- Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, pages 57, 60
- Halo Encyclopedia, page 131 (2011 edition)
- Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, pages 56, 60
- Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide, pages 28, 48
- Halo 2: Anniversary: Terminals
- Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Fighting Words
- Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 56
- Halo 3
- Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
- Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide, page 47
- Halo 4
- Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 57
- Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide, pages 27, 49
- Halo: Fleet Battles
- Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 95
- Halo Waypoint: Covenant Honor Guard
- Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 59
- Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Marching On
- Halo Waypoint: Arbiter Thel Vadam
- Ultra-Combo.com: Arbiter’s Colors & Accessories
- Halo Encyclopedia, page 135 (2011 edition)
- Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 58
- Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Brute Force
- Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Fury's Road
- Halo Waypoint: Hints and Heroes
- Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide, pages 29, 48
- Halo 5: Guardians