|There is more information available on this subject at Suppressor on the English Wikipedia.|
A suppressor is a device attached to a firearm to reduce the amount of noise and flash generated by firing the weapon. It generally takes the form of a cylindrical-shaped metal tube that is attached to the barrel of a firearm, with various internal mechanisms to reduce the sound of firing by slowing the escaping propellant gas, and sometimes by reducing the velocity of the bullet. The point is to keep the user concealed and undetected. Suppressors are also commonly used to help reduce the risk of a weapon's operator or those around them suffering from hearing damage or loss, especially in close quarters combat, in which soldiers will of course typically use firearms while in very close proximity to one another.
- The suppressor makes its first gameplay appearance in Halo 2 Vista, and is mentioned in The Art of Halo, on the M7/Caseless Submachine Gun.
- The original plan for the suppressor, which originated around the time of World War II, was to modify the sound of the weapon firing into a different, unrecognizable sound, rather than to reduce loudness of a discharge, as its name suggests.
- The popular name for the suppressor is "silencer", but this is a misnomer, as sound is still present.
- The suppressor on the M6C/SOCOM cannot be physically found. It is "hidden" inside the compensator.
A suppressed M6 sidearm.
A Suppressor in Halo 2 Vista.
Left side view of the suppressor on the M7S in Halo 3: ODST.
A BR55 with a suppressor in Halo Wars 2.
List of appearances
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (First appearance)
- Halo: First Strike
- Halo 2 Vista
- Halo Graphic Novel
- Halo: Contact Harvest
- Halo 3: ODST
- Halo Legends
- Halo Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
- Halo 2: Anniversary
- Halo 5: Guardians
- Halo Wars 2
- Halo: Retribution
- Halo: Silent Storm