"WE'VE GOT A NEW CONTACT, UNKNOWN CLASSIFICATION!"This article has new content coming soon from Halo: Envoy, and may not be complete, confirmed or correct. Please update it as soon as any relevant and accurate material is available.
Deep ground surveillance and long range reconnaissance
- "Early on during the war, we targeted prominent commanders and religious leaders. We made sure their backup strategic minds were under the constant threat of assassination. Then, as things got worse and more human colonies fell, we were asked to do more."
- —Jai-006 about Gray Team's line of work
Gray Team is a group of Spartan-II supersoldiers of the UNSC Naval Special Warfare Group. It consists of Jai-006, Adriana-111, and Mike-120, the most independent and individualistic of the Spartan-IIs. These qualities were used to create a unit trained to operate for extended periods with minimal supervision and support. In contrast to the typical green coloration used by most Spartan-IIs, Gray Team's Mjolnir armor is painted gray.
Compared to the other Spartan-IIs, such as the conceptually similar Black Team, Gray Team's training placed additional emphasis on individual thought and action. This made them suitable to execute and survive covert missions deep behind enemy lines with no support from friendly units. Their assignments focused on disruption of enemy operations followed by a stealthy extraction.
- Mike: "We are a team. We don't work with others, sir."
- Adriana: "Right. We go out. Alone. That's how we've always done this. We've have never worked with others. Not even other Spartans."
- —The members of Gray Team to Commander Yarick about their detachment.
- Main article: SPARTAN-II training
Gray Team was formed from the three Spartan-II candidates who proved the most difficult to control during training. This manifested in resistance to indoctrination, numerous escape attempts, and a lack of social integration with other personnel. This disruptive behavior was costly, resulted in injuries to trainers, and the theft and destruction of at least one Pelican dropship. Being unconventional recruits in an unconventional project, the decision was made to train the trio separately from the others and form them into their own unit. Together, these Spartans would come together to form Gray Team, with Jai as the leader.
Early Human-Covenant War
In November 2525 members of Gray Team were briefed on the massacre that took place on Harvest shortly after first contact with the Covenant. A short time later, the UNSC Commonwealth, under the command of Captain Wallace, brought Spartans and Dr. Halsey to the Damascus Testing Facility at Chi Ceti IV, where they were to receive the MJOLNIR powered armor for the first time. When a Covenant ship, the Unrelenting, attacked the Commonwealth, Gray Team, as well as any other active Spartan-II, took part in their first engagement with the Covenant. The Spartans used thruster packs to launch themselves from a Pelican dropship. Each Spartan carried an ANVIL-II warhead to be used against the Covenant ship. However they missed the ship and only Blue Team managed to board the vessel through a puncture in its hull, caused by a MAC round from the Commonwealth. They succeeded in completing the mission and destroyed the Covenant ship.
Battle of the Rubble
- Main article: Battle of the Rubble
During the Human-Covenant War, Gray Team operated behind enemy lines, wreaking havoc on both the Covenant and the remaining rebels. They flew through Covenant and Insurrectionist-held space, looking for targets of opportunity, in their ship and base, the freighter Petya.
In 2535, Gray Team was sent behind enemy lines in order to destroy the navigation data held by the survivors of Madrigal, a world in the 23 Librae system that had been glassed by the Covenant not long after Harvest. The survivors were living in the Rubble, an asteroid space station built by the insurgents orbiting Hesiod. A small Kig-Yar fleet, led by Reth, had created an alliance with the insurrectionists to trade weapons and slipspace drives. However, these Kig-Yar were ordered by the Prophet of Truth to steal data from the humans that would lead the Covenant to other human colonies and Earth.
Later, Adriana returned to the Petya with Ignatio Delgado, a resident of the Rubble that was attempting to find information about the Kestrel. Unlike Jai, Mike did not care about Adriana's apparent favoritism of Delgado, whom Jai believed was an Insurrectionist. While aboard the Petya, the Spartans were contacted by the Rubble's artificial intelligence, Juliana. Despite their attempts to originally prevent her from communicating, the Spartans eventually agreed to hear Juliana out. In exchange for defending the Rubble from the Covenant, Juliana agreed to give the Spartans the data they wanted.
When the UNSC Midsummer Night arrived in the system, it was under attack by multiple Insurrectionists. The Spartans correctly came to the conclusion that they could not save the Midsummer Night from all the ships. Shortly afterward Juliana informed Gray Team that the Midsummer Night's crew would survive if the Spartans aided the Rubble. She sent the coordinates of Delgado's location to Mike, and ordered them to keep Delgado protected and she would help free the Midsummer Night crew. While Delgado and Jai aided the Midsummer Night and her crew, Adriana and Mike pursued smuggler Peter Bonifacio to prevent him from giving the navigation data to the Kig-Yar. The two Spartans encountered the insurgent leaving the Rubble aboard his freighter, Distancia. Mike quickly disabled his ship and Adriana boarded the freighter. Bonifacio promised that he would tell the Spartans where he hid the data if they allowed him to escape, which the reluctantly agreed to. After retrieving the navigation data, Adriana returned to the Petya and the Spartans agreed to let the Kig-Yar betray and kill Bonifacio in time.
Battle of Metisette
- Main article: Battle of Metisette
As Kig-Yar ships closed in on the mass drivers, Rubble ships flew in and fired missiles to prevent the destruction of the mass drivers. Meanwhile, more and more asteroids emptied as the thousands of citizens of the Rubble evacuated. Although Juliana lost some asteroids to both the Sangheili and Kig-Yar, she managed to move several more asteroids to meet with the UNSC forces moving in on Metisette.
While over Metisette, Midsummer Night performed a high-speed SOEIV deployment to the Redoubt on the surface of Metisette. As Midsummer Night came under fire from Kig-Yar anti-aircraft guns, the ship slowed down to allow the pods to drop, then sped out the atmosphere. The pods landed in the Redoubt's plaza, where Unggoy were waiting in buildings. Two main forces of Orbital Drop Shock Troopers were deployed, one with Jai-006 and the other with Adriana-111. Adriana landed among a large group of Unggoy, though she fought them off and soon rendezvoused with the ODSTs. Jai's team landed with the Shiva-class nuclear missile, and planted it in the sensor hub, setting a 2-hour timer.
Eventually, the Spartans were picked up by Delgado in a Pelican and they returned to the remains of the Rubble. All remaining UNSC and insurgent personnel were lead to the Exodus asteroid or aboard Midsummer Night. The asteroid, powered by slipspace drives, and the frigate escaped into slipspace to escape a large Covenant fleet entering the system.
The Exodus asteroid and Midsummer Night arrived safely at the 18 Scorpii system. The asteroid's inhabitants are safely evacuated before the asteroid shakes itself to pieces while in orbit around the human colony of Falaknuma. After, Gray Team meet with Admiral Preston Cole and Commander Hadley who grants them the use of a prowler, as the Petya was abandoned in the 23 Librae system. Commander Hadley gave Gray Team new orders to venture even further into enemy lines, much to the Spartans' satisfaction.
- Commander Hadley: "We’re giving you the Prowler. And you’re going back in. Deeper, this time. It doesn't get any easier, and you'll be even farther from our lines."
- Jai-006: "That's the way we like it, sir. We’re Gray Team."
- —Commander Hadley assigns Gray Team to a new mission.
In 2551, Gray Team was deployed on a mission against a Covenant facility within humanity's former territory and were deemed too inaccessible to be recalled to Reach. They were not present when the Covenant invaded the planet, having been out of contact for about a year. This was not cause for undue concern, as many of Gray Team's missions had been executed in a similar fashion. Gray Team were the only Spartan-IIs assigned to Naval Special Weapons who were not present at the briefing for Operation: RED FLAG.
Glyke and cryosleep
- "We voted. We took the intel we had and we made a decision. We followed protocol. With Earth backed into a corner, we were confident humanity was about to be destroyed. So. What would you do if you knew everything you'd spent your life fighting for was about to be erased?"
- —Jai to Melody Azikiwe on Gray Team's decision to destroy Glyke.
Soon after the Fall of Reach, on September, 2552, Gray Team participated in a top secret ONI mission called Operation: SUNSPEAR. The mission's goal was to locate and terminate as many Sangheili naval commanders responsible for the destruction of human worlds as possible. As the members of Gray Team proceeded with the operation, they received a message from command, that the Covenant had managed to locate the Sol system, and they had to follow through Condition Endgame. After that, they lost contact, and, unable to reach Sanghelios, as it was too well protected, Gray Team decided to venture to one of the other Sangheili worlds. Without knowledge that the war was over with a peace treaty, in December, 2552, the Spartans arrived on Glyke, where they deployed and detonated a NOVA bomb, which resulted in the complete destruction of the planet. As they escaped the blast, their prowler was heavily damaged, so the Spartans had to use the lifeboat. Without any deep-space comms equipment, Gray Team spent few days waiting for pickup, thinking hardly about their decision, before going into cryosleep.
For the next six years they drifted in space among the debris of Glyke, until in mid 2558, their lifeboat was recovered by Sangheili fleetmaster Rojka 'Kaasan and brought to his flagship, the ORS-class heavy cruiser Unwavering Discipline. He hid the Spartans' cryo chambers in one of the ship storage rooms under guard, as he understood the Spartans' role in the destruction of his homeworld, Glyke. He kept this find a secret, as he planned to use these Demon Three as a mean of trade with humans in order to gain from them what he wanted for his new home, Rakoi.
- Main article: Battle of Carrow
- "We're still Gray Team. It's us against everything else, same as it ever was. Even when it's all gone to shit. We head toward the fight, not away from it, and we'll figure it out when we get there. That's what we do."
- —Mike-120 on the Spartans' camaraderie.
- This section needs expansion. You can help Halopedia by .
|Browse more images in this article's gallery page.|
List of appearances
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (First mentioned)
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx (Mentioned only)
- Halo: The Cole Protocol (First appearance)
- Halo: Reach
- Dr. Halsey's personal journal (Mentioned only)
- Halo 2: Anniversary
- Halo: Envoy
- ^ Halo Encyclopedia, page 113
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, pages 76-78
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 80
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 141 (2010)
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, pages 147-150 (2010)
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 16
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 222
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 70
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 87
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 192
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 243
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 260
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 262
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 308
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 312
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 320
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 315
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 317
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 343
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol pages 352
- ^ a b Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 354
- ^ Halo Waypoint: Catalog Interaction
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 221
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 240