From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
Only around or over a third the size of the UNSC Commonwealth,[Note 1] the ship appeared to be crewed exclusively by Kig-Yar. During the Spartans' exploration of the ship, no personnel of other species - Sangheili, for instance - were called in to halt the alien attack. This indicates the ship may have been an artifact-retrieval vessel sent out by the Ministry of Tranquility to search for holy relics. Despite its small size, the ship was capable of enduring significant amounts of punishment from the UNSC Commonwealth and nearly bested the human ship in combat.
As the UNSC Commonwealth approached the Damascus Materials Testing Facility on Chi Ceti IV, the Unrelenting launched an attack on the UNSC frigate and was able to severely damage her with pulse lasers and plasma cannons. The Commonwealth retaliated with Archer missiles, which proved ineffective, and a single MAC slug, which temporarily knocked out the vessel's shields and dealt enough damage to the Unrelenting for Spartans to be able to board it. During combat it was boarded by three Spartan-IIs, John-117, Kelly-087 and Samuel-034, all of whom had infiltrated the ship by slipping into a hole the Commonwealth's MAC had created.
The Unrelenting was destroyed when the three Spartans fought their way to the ship's reactor and placed Anvil-II air-to-surface missiles nearby, detonating them when the Spartans were clear of the ship. Unfortunately, Samuel's Mjolnir suit had been breached when it was damaged during a firefight, and he was unable to evacuate the ship. He instead stayed aboard and activated the missiles.
The Spartans captured a Kig-Yar energy gauntlet at one point while on the ship. The crew of the Unrelenting was later accused of having a "lack of faith" by the Prophet of Regret for failing to repel the Spartan soldiers and destroy the human ship.
By March of 2526, the Covenant remained unaware of exactly what had befallen the Unrelenting. A dispatch sent to the Fleet of Inexorable Obedience during a lull in the battle expressed the confidence of the Shipmaster that after a fierce initial engagement, the vessel would prove victorious and then seek repairs at Zhoist. However, the Unrelenting never arrived and its fate was the subject of much speculation amongst Fleetmaster Nizat 'Kvarosee's staff officers. As a result, when the United Rebel Front offered information on the destruction of the Unrelenting alongside that of the Radiant Arrow, Nizat's interest was drawn.
|Browse more images in this article's gallery page.|
In the Halo: Fall of Reach comic adaptation and Halo: The Fall of Reach - The Animated Series, Unrelenting is depicted as a Ket-pattern battlecruiser. This is a departure from the novel, which describes the ship as being a sleek ovoid a third the size of the Commonwealth, with a single lateral line running its length. Frank O'Connor commented that Covenant ships in the animated series were portrayed differently from the novel for the purposes of the adaptation, leaving the ship's canonical class ambiguous. In Halo: Silent Storm, Vice Admiral Michael Stanforth stated that the Unrelenting was "frigate-size," but did not go so far as to actually call it a Covenant frigate. In a post made by Stephen Loftus on this article's talk page, he clarified that internally the ship was determined to be a Zanar-pattern light cruiser.
In the Halo: The Fall of Reach - The Animated Series, Unrelenting is crewed by Sangheili, Kig-Yar, and Unggoy while in the Halo: Fall of Reach comic adaptation and the novel, the ship is only crewed by Kig-Yar. Halo: Collateral Damage Issue 1 later seemingly showed the ship being only crewed with Kig-Yar as no Sangheili or Unggoy were shown aboard the ship.
Concept art of Blue Team's approach on the Unrelenting in Halo: The Fall of Reach - The Animated Series.
Concept art of a Spartan's heads-up display while on the Unrelenting.
Blue Team making a space jump to Unrelenting.
The Unrelenting being engaged by GA-TL1 Longswords.
The UNSC Commonwealth launches a Shiva-class nuclear missile at Unrelenting.
List of appearances
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (First appearance)
- Halo Wars (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Fall of Reach
- Halo: The Fall of Reach - The Animated Series
- Halo: Collateral Damage
- Halo: Silent Storm (Mentioned only)
- In Halo: The Fall of Reach Chapter 12, the Unrelenting is described as one-third the length of the Paris-class frigate UNSC Commonwealth, which measures 535.05 metres in length, while a Zanar-pattern light cruiser, the class that the ship is determined to be, measures typically 300 meters in length.
- Stephen Loftus on this article's talk page
- Halo: Warfleet, page 72-73
- Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 41
- Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide, page 194
- Halo Encyclopedia (2009 edition), page 265
- Halo Encyclopedia (2011 edition), page 277
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 265
- Halo Waypoint, Covenant Cruiser (Retrieved on Apr 17, 2021) [archive]
- Halo 4, Zanar-pattern light cruiser in-game model
- Halo: Shadow of Intent: "Behind the Prelate’s pod, nine more were launching, each with five Jiralhanae inside. These fifty warriors—the entirety of Spear of Light’s remaining crew—knew they had just punched a one-way ticket, that there was no turning back."
- Vertical Umbrage
- Halo Waypoint, Halo 4 - Vertical Umbrage (Retrieved on Nov 7, 2022) [local archive] [external archive]
- Halo Wars timeline
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, chapter 12
- Halo: Silent Storm, p. 132-133
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 105
- Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Reaching Out
- Halo: Silent Storm, page 60