Madrigal was a thriving human Outer Colony world in the 23 Librae system. It is the only planet within 23 Librae's habitable zone. It was the closest world to Harvest in 2525, and in 2528 Madrigal followed Harvest to become one of the first human colonies to be glassed by the Covenant. The names of most known Madrigali residents, as well as the names of places they established on the Rubble, seem to indicate that much of Madrigal's population was of Hispanic heritage.
The Covenant arrived in the 23 Librae system in 2528. While the United Nations Space Command battled the Covenant, it was the planet's insurrectionists and rebels that had gathered the planet's civilians and helped them escape the Fall of Madrigal. Many civilians of Madrigal evacuated the planet aboard freighters and cargo ships. The Sangheili Thel 'Vadamee, a future Arbiter, participated in the destruction of Madrigal. Despite being prepared for the Covenant since Harvest was glassed in 2525, Madrigal's defenses failed. Madrigal became the sixth human colony to be glassed by the Covenant, following Second Base, Green Hills, Bliss and Biko. The survivors fled to the asteroids trailing the nearby gas giant Hesiod, which they nicknamed the Rubble.
In 2535, Covenant ships, the Retribution's Thunder and A Psalm Every Day, entered the system in search for Kig-Yar "rebels" hiding in the Rubble. The Covenant searched Madrigal's surface to make sure the Kig-Yar were not hiding on the planet. With help from the crew of the frigate UNSC Midsummer Night and SPARTAN Gray Team, the Rubble was evacuated after the battles of the Rubble and Metisette, using Habitat Exodus to reach UNSC-controlled space.
- Madrigal is a city in Bungie's Myth series. It serves as the namesake of Siege of Madrigal, a musical piece from Myth: The Fallen Lords. This song serves as an easter egg in all the Bungie Halo games.
- Given that Nueva Lima is named for the capital of Peru, it is possible that a significant portion of Madrigal's population was of Peruvian descent.
List of appearances
- Halo: Contact Harvest (First mentioned)
- Halo: The Cole Protocol (First appearance)
- Halo 3: ODST Pre-mission Evaluation (Mentioned only)
- Halo 3: ODST (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
- Dirt (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Reach (Mentioned only)
- Data pads (Mentioned only)
- Halo Living Monument (Mentioned only)
- [[Halo 4] (Mentioned only)
- Halo Mythos (Mentioned only)
- Bungie.net: Meet the Squad (6/2/2009)
- Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 13
- Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 155
- Halo: Contact Harvest, page 24
- Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 72
- Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 70
- Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 41
- Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 146
- Halo Wars: Genesis
- Halo: Reach, data pads
- Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 11