Hesiod is a gas giant located in the 23 Librae planetary system, orbiting farther out than the former human Outer Colony, Madrigal. Hesiod is the only gas giant in the system. The planet is orbited by the moon Metisette and trailed by hundreds of Trojan asteroids in the L5 position.
Metisette contained the Covenant installation Redoubt, run by the Kig-Yar Reth as a breeding ground for Unggoy. Insurrectionists established a settlement in the planet's asteroids, called the Rubble. Following the Fall of Madrigal in 2528, surviving citizens of the planet fled to Hesiod's Trojan asteroids and became citizens of the Rubble.
- The name of the planet is likely a reference to the early Greek poet and Rhapsode Hesiod, whose writings serve as a major source on Greek Mythology, farming techniques, archaic Greek astronomy and ancient time-keeping.
- Halo: The Cole Protocol states that Hesiod is the only gas giant in the system. However, as of 2014, at least two gas giants have been discovered orbiting the star.
List of appearances
- Halo: The Cole Protocol (First appearance)
- Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 165
- Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 158
- Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 311
- Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 166
- Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 11