From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
"WE'VE GOT A NEW CONTACT, UNKNOWN CLASSIFICATION!"This article may contain information based upon upcoming, unreleased, or recently-released content from Halo Infinite, and may not be fully complete. Additionally, the information may be subject to change if it is based on pre-release material. Please update it as soon as any relevant and accurate material is available.
Recommended number of players:
|“||Sleepless nights, timeless fights.||”|
Empyrean is a multiplayer arena map for Halo Infinite that was added to the game during the Winter Update on December 6, 2022. The map was built entirely in Forge as a remake of the Halo 3 map The Pit.
Universe and lore
This map's layout is near-identical to its previous incarnations: The Pit and Pitfall, from Halo 3 and Halo 4, respectively. The biggest difference is that the lower side of the map, where an impassable fence was before, is now open and leads to the edge of the skyscraper, allowing players to fall to their deaths.
The locations of some power weapons and equipment has been tweaked compared to their locations on Halo 3's The Pit. The Rocket Launcher has been moved to the middle corridor, where the Active Camouflage was before, while the Rocket Launcher's old location is now home to a Drop Wall. The Energy Sword room is now home to a Heatwave, and the Overshield has been moved slightly to a new balcony which overlooks the edge of the map.
The following are locations on the map that are so named on the player's heads-up display during gameplay:
- East Base
- East Balcony
- East Bend
- East Catwalk
- East Tower
- West Base
- West Balcony
- West Bend
- West Catwalk
- West Tower
- Empyrean, while unnamed at this point, was first revealed at the Halo Championship Series World Championship on September 25, 2022. This version of Empyrean was still a work-in-progress and featured much more purple in its color scheme than its final iteration.
- Unlike Argyle and Detachment, which were Forge maps included at the release of the Winter Update on November 8, 2022, Empyrean was added to matchmaking and custom games with an update on December 6, 2022, along with surprise early release of the Custom Games Browser.
- This map uses the Void Forge canvas.
- The word "empyrean" relates to the sky or heaven, particularly the highest part of heaven. This name fits the map given its placement at the top of a skyscraper. Additionally, this name might be a pun, given how its definition is effectively opposite that of the original map it is based on: The Pit.
- Empyrean is the first multiplayer map in Halo Infinite matchmaking to feature a Scrap Cannon, with a Scrap Cannon replacing each of the two AIE-486H machine guns found on the original map.
- Halo Infinite, multiplayer map Empyrean
- Halo Waypoint, Halo Infinite | December 2022 Update (Retrieved on Dec 10, 2022) [archive]
- Twitter, Halo Esports (@HCS): "THE PIT RETURNS! 👀 #HaloInfinite" (Retrieved on Dec 10, 2022) [archive]
- YouTube, Halo Infinite - Winter Update Overview (Retrieved on Dec 10, 2022) [archive]