A young woman in uniform.
- Linda-058: "An A.I. containing all of human history. This is the real reason we came?"
- Athos: "It was a possibility the A.I., Gabriela, remained intact. ONI believed this mission was worth the risk."
- Linda-058: "Worth it for the A.I., but not the living left behind here. How can history be more important than our own people?"
- Athos: "Not just history. Gabriela holds Earth's secrets... And those of everywhere humanity has called home. Along with the sole complete record of all we fought for and lost on Reach."
- — Athos clarifies the importance of Gabriela to Linda-058.
Gabriela is a United Nations Space Command artificial intelligence. By late 2553, she was considered to the only one of her kind to contain a complete record of all cataloged human history. Once thought lost in the aftermath of the Fall of Reach, she was recovered that year by Linda-058. Gabriela later assisted with an Outpost Discovery at major population centers on Earth.
Following the Fall of Reach in August 2552, Gabriela was thought lost along with the UNSC Promise of Dawn, a Paris-class heavy frigate which disappeared after the battle. At some point in the latter half of 2553 the Office of Naval Intelligence received a distress signal from the frigate's survivors, coming from the largely Covenant-controlled Sephune III. Given the possibility that Gabriela remained intact, ONI believed sending one of the few remaining Spartan-IIs, Linda-058, to the planet was worth the risk. As such, she was briefed within twenty-four hours of the signal's discovery. She was not informed concerning Gabriela, however, instead being told her mission was to assassinate Doctor Chen Bax, a scientist who had tried to steal classified technology but who had also been thought killed at Reach. Linda was told ONI couldn't afford to have either Chen or whatever he left Reach with fall into enemy hands.
After meeting up with the ship's survivors Linda elected to hold off on killing Doctor Chen and before long Athos, the artificial intelligence accompanying her, was inserted in a terminal in the humans' camp. He soon detected Gabriela and made it known to the Spartan that their mission's parameters had changed. Securing Gabriela, he said, was now the entirely of the operation. Seeing as forces loyal to a resurgent Covenant would be moving on their position in a matter of hours, he also emphasized that if they hadn't found her by that point they would clean the site to make sure the aliens didn't either. When Athos heard Chen mention details about the eighteenth century storming of the Bastille in conversation he thought it possible the doctor had already accessed Gabriela. But once Athos' data crystal chip was being inserted into the Promise of Dawn Chen suddenly asked Linda to give him the code needed to unlock the A.I., saying he knew why the UNSC had sent her to him. He was convinced that he could not let the UNSC have her any more than he could the Covenant.
After Gabriela was recovered from Sephune III she began to assist with an Outpost Discovery, a mobile exploratory initiative focused on the education, recruitment, inspiration, and training of the next generation of UNSC personnel. This involved her assistance at various major population centers on Earth.
As of late 2553, Gabriela was considered the only artificial intelligence to contain a complete record of all cataloged human history. In addition, she held the secrets of Earth and everywhere else humanity had called home and the sole complete record of all that had been fought for and lost on Reach.
Behind the scenes
During the concepting phase for Gabriela's design, 343 Industries consumer products team artist Sarah Campbell leaned on her experience in the United States Marine Corps to give input on what her uniform should look like. Gabriela was first introduced during the announcement of Halo: Outpost Discovery. Her projected avatar will greet guests before they enter the Hall of History at the various event locations. Shortly following this announcement, she was revealed to be a big part of the ongoing comic series at the time, Halo: Lone Wolf.
List of appearances
- ^ a b c d Halo: Outpost Discovery
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j Halo: Lone Wolf, Issue #3
- ^ a b c d e f Halo: Lone Wolf, Issue #1
- ^ a b c d e Halo: Lone Wolf, Issue #2
- ^ a b c d e YouTube: All the News on the Upcoming Halo: Outpost Discovery Experience
- ^ a b c Halo Waypoint - Discovery Dispatch
- ^ Mixer: Social Stream: Discovering the Museum MacGyver