Battle of Kamchatka
From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
|This article's title is a callsign, an alias, or a nickname, as no proper name for the subject has been revealed.|
|Battle of Kamchatka|
In 2558, a battle took place on the icy world of Kamchatka, fought between the forces of the United Nations Space Command, Jul 'Mdama's Covenant, and the Prometheans. During the battle Dr. Catherine Halsey was rescued by UNSC forces and Jul 'Mdama was assassinated.
Jul 'Mdama and his Covenant
In 2558, a long-dead communications hub on the planet's surface activated. With their primary base on Hesduros lost, and at the behest of Dr. Halsey, 'Mdama relocated his fleet to the system, hoping to pillage Forerunner technology and using the system as a staging area. 'Mdama also hoped to benefit from intel provided by Dr. Halsey, who would go on to study the relay and discovered that her old AI Cortana was alive.
Analysts at the Office of Naval Intelligence deemed that a strike on these forces at Caspar could potentially do substantial damage against the Covenant faction, and give the UNSC an edge. By October 17, 2558, plans were put in place to attack Jul's forces in the system as part of Operation: ANCHORITE, and to retrieve Dr. Halsey as part of Operation: DESINENCE. While ANCHORITE was known widely across the UNSC Infinity with it being part of a briefing letter, DESINENCE was not, with little information being discussed about it. Part of the overall attack plans included a second wave of forces deployed from the Infinity. The Infinity would also bring a complement of Anlace-class light frigates.
Upon arrival on Kamchatka, the Covenant would be attacked hostile Forerunner defenses, their presence triggering them. Dr. Halsey used these defenses and her exploration of Forerunner sites on the planet as part of a play to get the attention of the UNSC and be rescued.
- "Fireteam Osiris, the light is green."
- — Jameson Locke to Osiris, prior to jumping into battle.
The UNSC Infinity deployed Fireteam Osiris, a Spartan-IV special operations squad, to retrieve Halsey and assassinate Jul 'Mdama if possible. They dropped from low orbit by Pelican and landed amidst an enormous ship and ground battle, as Cortana had taken control of Jul's Prometheans and was unleashing them against him. Jul 'Mdama's Covenant made little headway, with the constructs managing to bring down a Hekar Taa-pattern blockade runner and force back a Kraken walker. The chaos from the Prometheans' rebellion provided Osiris cover from 'Mdama's Covenant, allowing them to sneak to the temple where 'Mdama and Halsey were stationed.
After reaching the temple, Osiris attacked Jul's Zealot guards while Spartan Jameson Locke faced off against Supreme Commander in melee combat. After a short fight, Locke was able to kill Jul with his combat knife, bringing an end to his tyranny. Fireteam Osiris then took custody of Dr. Halsey and she was brought back to the Infinity to aid in the search for the Guardians.
- Kelly-087: "There's chatter about Jul 'Mdama on Covenant comms. The new arrivals say he's dead."
- Fred-104: "Somebody cut the head off the Covenant. Bravo."
- — Kelly-087 and Frederic-104 of Blue Team during Operation: BIRD IN HAND.
With Jul 'Mdama dead and the Prometheans now against them, his Covenant troops became desperate. Some of them fled to the Argent Moon to retrieve their soldiers scavenging the station, though most of them were killed in the attempt after Blue Team scuttled the station to keep it out of enemy hands, destroying several Covenant warships in the process. Most of the rest regrouped on Sanghelios, attempting an attack on the Vadam clan burial grounds in hopes of a revenge attack against the Arbiter. Covenant forces at that were under the joint control of several other high-ranking members of the faction including Kitun 'Arach.
Jul 'Mdama's Covenant
- Halo Waypoint's Canon Fodder article Fifty Caliber states that "unconfirmed reports" about the Battle of Kamchatka claim there might have been a temporary alliance between Fireteam Osiris and the Sangheili Kitun 'Arach of Jul's forces. This is a reference to the Enemy of my Enemy achievement, in which the player(s) can choose to save a Sangheili Warrior assaulting a hill against Promethean Soldiers, turning him from an enemy to an ally.
- The bodies and wreckages of Swords of Sanghelios soldiers and Banshees are scattered throughout the level Osiris. While it is possible they participated in the battle, their use as game assets suggests they might be stand-ins for the deceased forces of Jul 'Mdama's Covenant.
Concept art of the battle for Halo 5: Guardians.
Holly Tanaka smashing through a boulder.
Olympia Vale attacking a Phantom.
List of appearances
- Halo 5: Guardians (First appearance)
- Halo: Legacy of Onyx (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Bad Blood (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual, page 11
- Halo 5: Guardians, campaign level Osiris
- Halo Waypoint, Kamchatka (Retrieved on Apr 23, 2021) [local archive] [external archive]
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 75
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 359
- Halo 5: Guardians: Mission Intel - Osiris - Halsey Research Notes 2/4
- Halo 5: Guardians, campaign level Blue Team
- Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual, page 7
- Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual, page 115
- Halo Waypoint, Canon Fodder - Calm in the Storm (Retrieved on Mar 9, 2021) [archive]
- Halo 5: Guardians, campaign level Swords of Sanghelios
- Halo Waypoint - News, Canon Fodder, Fifty Caliber [archive]