Commanders of entire fleets and armadas
- "Within the Covenant military regime, the sight of a Sangheili leader striding across the battlefield in a gleaming gold combat harness simultaneously stoked the fires of victory within the hearts of the surrounding forces, and struck fear within the hearts of their enemies."
- — Supreme Commander description.
Supreme Commander is a rate used in the Covenant military, and later in Jul 'Mdama's reformed Covenant. Within the original Covenant, the rate was given to fleetmasters explicitly appointed by the Hierarchs to lead major military expeditions.
A Supreme Commander is responsible for a fleet or a contingent of fleets and leads blockades, naval battles, or orbital bombardment operations. Supreme Commanders command large Covenant fleets, such as the Fleet of Particular Justice, which was formerly led by Thel 'Vadamee before he was stripped of his rank due to his failure at Installation 04.
In addition to commanding naval forces, Supreme Commanders have authority over the ground troops attached to their fleet. For example, Supreme Commander Thel 'Vadamee ordered part of his fleet's special operations contingent to conduct a mission to the agricultural support ship Infinite Succor during the Battle of Installation 04.
When commanding a fleet, Supreme Commanders sometimes wear purple or gold armor featuring an ornate helmet; at least two Supreme Commanders, Thel 'Vadamee and Rho 'Barutamee, chose to wear a purple-colored cloak as part of their ensemble. In the case of Thel, his doarmir cloak served a purely sentimental purpose, as it reminded him that he could make grave mistakes if he let his guard down. It is unknown if there is a ceremonial significance to these cloaks. These were not permanent additions to their attire, however, as Thel chose not to wear it when he appeared before the High Council.
While commanding the Third Fleet of Glorious Consequence, Supreme Commander Luro 'Taralumee wore armor that resembled that of most Sangheili Zealots, though it was more ornate, possessing prongs similar to those on 'Vadamee's helmet.
Thel 'Vadamee, Supreme Commander of the Fleet of Particular Justice.
Thel 'Vadamee converses with a Prophet at Installation 04, complete with the formal cloak signifying his rank.
Thel before the High Council.
List of appearances
- Halo: The Fall of Reach
- Halo 2 (First appearance)
- Halo Graphic Novel
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx (Mentioned only)
- Halo Wars (Mentioned only)
- Halo Legends
- Halo 4
- Halo: Initiation
- Halo: Escalation
- Halo: Broken Circle (Mentioned only)
- Halo 2: Anniversary
- Halo: Fleet Battles
- Halo 5: Guardians
- Halo Mythos
- Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide
- Halo Waypoint: Canon Fodder - Taking Orders
- Halo: Warfleet, p. 78
- Ultra Combo:Arbiter’s Colors & Accessories
- Halo 2: Anniversary, Terminal 9
- Halo: Warfleet, p. 92
- Halo Encyclopedia, page 135 (2011 edition)
- Halo 2, campaign level, The Heretic
- Halo Graphic Novel, Last Voyage of the Infinite Succor
- Halo: The Cole Protocol, Chapter 22, page 159
- Halo Legends, The Package
- Halo 5: Guardians Official Game Guide (Collector's Edition), pages 23, 25, 56