Battle of Jericho VII
|Battle of Jericho VII|
The Battle of Jericho VII was an engagement fought between the United Nations Space Command and the Covenant between 2532 and February 12, 2535 on the human colony of Jericho VII. The UNSC operation on Jericho VII was known as Operation: FALLEN WALLS.
Covenant forces first attacked the planet in 2532, beginning a three year long battle. Some civilians, including orphans who would volunteer for the SPARTAN-III program, managed to escape during that time.
On the ground, Blue Team members: Blue-One, Two, Three, Four, and Five massacred the Covenant troops. Blue Team's mission was to draw out the Covenant rear guard, so Red Team could slip behind their lines and plant a HAVOK tactical nuke, hoping to destroy the next Covenant ship that landed and dropped its shields. These few Spartans were able to kill hundreds of Unggoy and destroy Shade turrets with little difficulty, as well as neutralizing their Type-26 Banshee air support, by using the fougasses they had planted in case the Unggoy got out of hand. Meanwhile, Green Team was preventing a Covenant ground force advance on the planet.
The three divisions of the UNSC Marine Corps on the planet, operating elsewhere, suffered minor casualties and easily accomplished their goals as well. However, the 105th Drop Jet Platoon was slaughtered by a massive force of Unggoy. Blue Team swept through the area and avenged the platoon by killing hundreds of the Unggoy involved in that operation. All of the Spartan teams accomplished their missions and returned safely to the remaining fleet in a Pelican dropship.
Unfortunately, the UNSC fleet lost control of the space around Jericho VII after a brutal three day battle with the Covenant fleet. However, Captain De Blanc was able to evacuate the Spartans aboard UNSC Resolute before the enemy fleet began its glassing of the planet. Spartan-117 requested to watch the planet being glassed. He observed the assault for nearly an hour as Jericho VII was destroyed.
The Battle of Jericho VII was notably the last attempt by the UNSC to hold colonies and deploy Spartans after losing orbital superiority.
Intelligence gained from the battle was utilized by Mobile Armament Systems in the creation of the CQB variant of the MJOLNIR armor. On July 12, 2540, five years after the battle, Operation: GUARDIAN LANCE was carried out to recover several pieces of Covenant equipment from the glasslands of the world. These specimens were later brought to SWORD Base on Reach.
Some of the future SPARTAN-IIIs of Alpha Company were orphaned in the battle. Jameson Locke, a future SPARTAN-IV and an Office of Naval Intelligence agent, was also orphaned during this battle. He evacuated from Jericho VII only minutes before the Covenant glassed the planet.
The conflict was the first battle to be depicted in the Halo series.
List of appearances
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (First appearance)
- Halo: The Flood (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx (Indirect mention)
- Halo: Reach (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual (Mentioned only)
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, prologue
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 7 ("In orbit, there were dozens of frigates, destroyers, and two massive carriers.")
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 7 ("As predicted, the Spartans of Red, Blue, and Green teams—augmenting three divisions of battle-hardened UNSC Marines—had stalled a Covenant ground advance.")
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 8 ("Three dozen Covenant ships—big ones, destroyers and cruisers—winked into view in the system.")
- Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual, page 82
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 2
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 19 (2010 edition)
- Halo Encyclopedia, page 113 (2011 edition)
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 20 (2010 edition)
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, pages 22-23 (2010 edition)
- Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 39
- Halo: Reach, multiplayer level Sword Base
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 70
- Halo Waypoint: Jameson Locke