From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
|There is more information available on this subject at Combat knife on the English Wikipedia.|
The Covenant use knives as well; the Jiralhanae use their own combat knives as well as a multitude of bayonet-like blades. The Sangheili sometimes use curveblades, which inspired the design of the Type-1 energy sword. The blamite-bladed energy cutlass is an analogous weapon used by the Kig-Yar.
One version of the UNSC's multi-purpose combat knife has a 20-centimeter (7.9 in) blade made of high carbon steel, an anti-flash, non-reflective titanium carbide coating, edge coated for corrosion resistance and is 43.3 centimeters (1 ft 5.0 in) long when sheathed. It is also balanced for throwing. The Spartan-IIIs' standard-issue combat knife features a self-sharpening blade made of a hyperdense material. Modern UNSC combat knives are made of strong enough material to pierce a Spartan's helmet, and the hull of a Lich.
The placement of the combat knife sheath varies depending on the combat uniform and individual loadout, and may be kept, for example, on the shoulder with the handle pointing downward, sideways on the lower back, or on the side of the boot. Some Spartan-IVs keep their knives sheathed in a wrist compartment.
There are a few different manufacturers of combat knives for the UNSC, including Watershed Division and Misriah Armory. In some cases, the Misriah logo was printed on the knife blade.
Some soldiers in service with the UNSC carry a combat knife of their own design or choice. Major Faison had a very large knife that he kept sheathed at his ankle, with the words "Bug-Hunter" engraved on the blade. Emile-A239 used a large kukri for his weapon of choice. Roland-B210, a member of the SPARTAN-III program's Headhunters division, also used a custom combat knife. Frederic-104 possesses particular skill with combat knives, and it can be interpreted that he has a liking for their use.
- Lucy: The combat knife in possession of John Forge.
- M1 combat knife: A combat knife used by UNSC personnel during the end of the Human-Covenant War.
- M5 combat knife: The most common knife in service across all UNSC branches. It has an operational history of decades.
- M11 combat knife: A combat knife designed and built for Spartans.
- MK 88 Ratio: A compact survival and utility knife commonly carried by UNSC and militia forces.
- Model 52 Navy knife: A large knife preferred by UNSC Navy special forces.
- Thornblade: An advanced blade manufactured by Watershed Division that requires a charge.
Non-canon and dubious canon appearances
|This article contains information from the Entrenched Fractures universe, and is not a part of the established Halo canon. To learn more information about the Entrenched universe, see its article.|
Knives are used throughout the Entrenched Fracture. Different types can be seen on the EAGLESTRIKE armors.
|This article contains information from the Firewall Fractures universe, and is not a part of the established Halo canon. To learn more information about the Firewall universe, see its article.|
The Executors of the Firewall Fracture are sometimes equipped with resonating crysknives, which come in various sizes.
|This article contains information from the Tenrai Fractures universe, and is not a part of the established Halo canon. To learn more information about the Tenrai universe, see its article.|
Knives are used throughout the Tenrai Fracture. Different types can be seen on the Yoroi armors.
When performing an assassination, any knives placed on armor will not be used. This can be seen in Theater: despite using a knife to assassinate your opponent, it still appears sheathed on your chest.
|Browse more images in this article's gallery page.|
A combat knife holstered on an ODST's shoulder from Halo: Landfall.
Detail of Edward Buck's combat knife.
An in-game screenshot of an M1 combat knife.
John-117 using his combat knife to grapple onto the hull of a Kmiro'sish-pattern Lich.
TJ Murphy equipped with a knife.
A combat knife holstered on an ODST's back in Halo 2: Anniversary.
A Spartan-IV using a combat knife on an opponent in the HCS season 2 trailer.
John-117 killing a Sangheili Storm with a combat knife in Halo: Tales from Slipspace.
A UNSC Marine wearing a combat knife in Halo Infinite.
A combat knife on the Rakshasa TAC/CMA M-25 chestpiece.
A knife on the OSTEO combat engineering suit Lifeguard Doc chestpiece.
Throwing knives on the Yoroi Kunai of the Hidden Hand chestpiece.
A trench knife attached to an Eaglestrike chestpiece.
A Flayer Cryknife attached to a Chimera shoulder.
Jai-006 equipped with a M1 knife.
Mark-G313 with an unknown type of knife.
List of appearances
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 185
- Halo Encyclopedia (2009 edition), page 329
- Halo: Contact Harvest, page 125
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 80
- Halo Mythos, page 77
- Halo: Reach, Multiplayer
- Halo 4, campaign level Shutdown
- Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 128
- Halo: Escalation, issue 3
- Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual, page 182
- Halo Infinite: M1 combat knife
- Halo Infinite: MK 88 Ratio
- Halo Infinite: Model 52 Navy knife
- Halo: The Cole Protocol, page 104
- Halo: Reach, campaign level Noble Actual
- Halo: Evolutions - Headhunters
- Halo: First Strike, page 2 (2003 edition); 11 (2010 edition)
- Halo Legends, episode The Package
- Halo Wars, campaign level Escape
- Halo 5: Guardians, campaign level Osiris
- GameDaily - Halo Wars Character Profiles (defunct)
- ThreeA, Promotional image
- Halo Infinite: TAC/Thornblade Brace