MA5D assault rifle
|MA5D assault rifle|
39.2 inches (100 cm)
3 inches (7.6 cm)
10.8 inches (27 cm)
3.5 kilograms (7.7 lb) (empty)
32-round box magazine (Halo 4)
640 RPM
The MA5D Individual Combat Weapon System (ICWS) is an assault rifle used by the United Nations Space Command. Like the rest of the MA5 series, the MA5D is designed and manufactured by Misriah Armory.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Variants
- 3 Gameplay
- 4 Gallery
- 5 List of appearances
- 6 Sources
The MA5D assault rifle is an air-cooled, gas-operated, magazine-fed, fully automatic bullpup rifle that fires standard 7.62×51mm FMJ-AP ammunition from a 32- or 36-round detachable box magazine. It possesses a built-in ammunition indicator and magnetic compass for orientation similar to that of all other MA5 series rifles. It bears few noticeable design differences from the MA5C apart from an integrated muzzle brake.
The MA5D ICWS was in limited service use as early as 2525 when it was issued to officer cadets, drill instructors, and security personnel at the Corbulo Academy of Military Science, as well as Spartan Blue Team. It saw continued use throughout the war, though the MA5's B and C variants remained more common. By 2557 the MA5D had become standard issue. It is now favored due to its ruggedness and ability to withstand the conditions that are often faced on frontier colonies.
October 2558 variant
By October 2558, a variant of the MA5D existed with the "p/n 00118-B" body. It had the serial number of "007230814". This variant had a removable case at the top that hides a "P/N 16309" rail to attach various attachments onto it. This variant is most often fielded with a Projection sight.
- COG MA5D: Assault Rifle with COG sight. Security configuration issued to ONI’s armed-response teams.
- Hybrid MA5D: Assault Rifle with Hybrid sight. This variant is a testbed for human-Sangheili technology sharing, fitted a modified Carbine holoscope.
- Longshot MA5D: Assault Rifle with Longshot sight. UNSC Marine Corps Interim Fireteam Support (IFS) configuration for intermediate-range combat and long-range suppression.
- Morph MA5D: Assault Rifle with Morph sight. Test configuration issued to Spartans assigned to Infinity's science field teams.
- Recon MA5D: Assault Rifle with Recon sight. UNSC Army configuration with quick-acquisition sights for mid-range engagements.
- Energy Bayonet: Increases melee damage and range, allowing for a one-hit kill against normal opponents.
- Extended Magazine: Increases both ready and reserve ammunition capacity by 50% for a total of 54 rounds.
- Kinetic Bolts: Augments knockback and damage against vehicles.
- Knight blade: Increases melee effectiness, with extra damage and knockback against vehicles.
- Laser Targeter: Increases weapon accuracy by reducing bullet spread.
- Long Barrel: Increases range of bullet magnetism and aim assist.
- Stabilization Jets: Helps control vertical recoil.
- Silencer: Firing the weapon does not make the user show up on enemy radar. However, walking still gives away the user's position.
- Sound Dampener: Increases effective range and reduces firing signature.
- Threat Marker: Tracks targeted enemy personnel for a short time.
Changes from MA37 ICWS in Halo: Reach
- Heavier but more controllable reticle bloom
- More damage per round: only 13 shots are needed to kill a fully-shielded Spartan instead of 19.
- Slightly increased rate of fire
- Maximum reserve ammo has been reduced from 288 rounds to 256 rounds, and a standard reserve of 224 rounds, forcing the player to scavenge for ammo more frequently.
Changes from Halo 4 to Halo 2: Anniversary
- Less damage per round, 16 shots are required to kill a fully-shielded Spartan.
Changes from Halo 2: Anniversary to Halo 5: Guardians
- Can now be zoomed in using the Smart Scope and have its bloom and max spread reduced at the cost of added recoil
- Faster bloom regeneration
- Magazine size increased from 32 rounds to 36.
- Reload speed slightly increased.
- Headshots now deal 2× damage on unshielded targets.
- Increased damage, killing in 13-15 rounds, depending on the headshot bonus.
|See our gameplay information related to MA5D assault rifle in its gameplay page|
|Browse more images in this article's gallery page.|
Concept art of the MA5D in Halo 4.
The MA5D's ammo counter indicating the number of rounds in the magazine on Haven.
John-117 with an MA5D in Halo: Initiation.
The MA5D in Halo 2: Anniversary.
First-person view of the MA5D being used on Stonetown.
A Spartan-IV cocking an MA5D in the HCS season 2 trailer.
A statue of John-117 with an MA5D in The Cost.
Blue Team using MA5Ds on Meridian in The Hunt Begins.
First-person view of the MA5D in the Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta on Empire.
First-person view of the MA5D in Halo 5: Guardians on Riptide.
Edward Buck using an MA5D in Halo Mythos.
Halo 4 Skins
Halo 5: Guardians Skins
Halo 5: Guardians Variants
Halo Online Variants
The ADV MA5D on Reactor.
The Halo Online Beta DMG MA5D on Edge.
The Halo Online Beta "Golden" MA5D on Riverworld.
List of appearances
- The Commissioning (First appearance)
- Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn
- Halo 4
- Halo: Spartan Assault
- Halo: Initiation
- Halo: Escalation
- Halo: Nightfall
- Halo 2: Anniversary
- Hunt the Truth
- Halo: Spartan Strike
- Halo: Last Light
- Halo: The Fall of Reach - The Animated Series
- Halo 5: Guardians
- Halo Mythos
- Halo: Tales from Slipspace
- Halo: Retribution
- Halo: Bad Blood
- ^ a b c Halo 4 Limited Edition UNSC Infinity Briefing Packet
- ^ a b c d Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide, page 60
- ^ a b Halo: Waypoint: Assault Rifle
- ^ Game Informer: The Arsenal of Halo 4
- ^ Halo 4 Official Site: Ordnance + Armor
- ^ Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn
- ^ 343 Sparkast 014
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach - The Animated Series
- ^ Halo 4, Prologue
- ^ Halo: Initiation, Issue 1
- ^ Halo: Escalation, Issue 7
- ^ Halo 5: Guardians