From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
- "The AV-49 Wasp supplements existing stocks of AV-14 and AV-22 aircraft in Marine service. Close air support VTOL armed with heavy machine guns and twin rocket launchers."
- — REQ card description
Considered fast to produce and easy to maintain and optimise, the AV-49 shares several similarities with its fellow aerodynes, the AV-14 Hornet, AV-19 SkyHawk, AV-22 Sparrowhawk, and AV-30 Kestrel. The aircraft features an integrated VTOL propulsion system that combines dual lift ducted fan engines used by the AV-30 (though these engines were largely patterned off of the earlier JOV-99 Kestrel), with air-cooled vectored-thrust fusion thrusters for forward movement. The AV-49 also features twin 7.62 M199 heavy machine guns and twin 50mm M400 missile launchers,, and cyberlink-compatible fly-by-light avionics. During its prototype testing phase, energy shielding was also implemented into the aircraft.
Designed for expeditionary usage, the Wasp can be easily prepped and deployed with minimal tools, and their hardened storage containers have identical dimensions to NAVLOGCOM-standard flat containers, simplifying interstellar transport logistics.
The Wasp was developed by Misriah Armory alongside the STINGER-class Mjolnir, which has two neural interface controllers to allow the operator to switch from flight to ground combat modes at the speed of thought. Sometime following the dissolution of the Colonial Military Authority, the UNSC was considering the widespread adoption of Vestol Corporation's JOV-99 Kestrel. However, strong lobbying by Misriah Armory saw the Wasp selected to replace the Kestrels that would find service in the UNSC Army and Colonial Militias.
Although in use by 2553, the Wasp was still undergoing field trials with the UNSC as of 2558. By this time, the Spartan Operations branch was asked to assess its tactical utility for their specific needs, with SPARTANs able to test the vehicle in War Games simulations or review prototypes manufactured aboard UNSC Infinity in Hangar A-6. Due to their ease of assembly, Spartan Commander Palmer recommended that all SPARTANs aboard Infinity become familiar with this process.
The Wasp augments existing stocks of AV-14 and AV-22 aircraft in Marine service. UNSC doctrine sees the Wasp employed as a gunship escort for troop transports or on-call close air support for special forces teams. The Office of Naval Intelligence employs their own variant of Wasp, using it for night sorties and stealth surveillance missions. While the Wasp is a capable aircraft, many UNSC Army garrisons, local defense forces, and militia groups have little reason to transition to an airframe that requires constant off-world maintenance inputs, still favoring the JOV-99 Kestrel.
By the time of the Battle for Zeta Halo in 2560, the Wasp was still in use by the UNSC. However, the models deployed on Installation 07 lacked the energy shielding present in earlier test iterations.
- ONI Wasp: a specialised Wasp variant employed by the Office of Naval Intelligence, used for stealth surveillance and night sorties.
- AV-49H Wasp: Also known as the Hannibal Wasp, the AV-49H was a collaboration between Misriah Armory and Hannibal Weapon Systems on initiatives to evolve their existing offerings of weapon systems and vehicles.
A vehicle called the Wasp was one of several cut from Halo 4 early in development. Whether it had any relation to the AV-49 Wasp is unclear. The Wasp vehicle was first teased in a Canon Fodder article on Halo Waypoint, listed as the
AV-49 [DATA CORRUPTION! REBUILD IN PROGRESS . . .] alongside several other UNSC aerodynes. It was later formally revealed to be included in the Warzone Firefight update. The AV-49 Wasp was designed by Darren Bacon, David Heidhoff, and Nicolas Bouvier circa 2015.
- Like the Hornet, the Wasp's numerical designation is a derivative of 7 (7x7, or 7 squared, is 49).
- The cockpit features a handle that rests between the legs of the operator, nearly identical to the ejection seat trigger handles of many modern aircraft.
- The Wasp's model in Halo 5: Guardians features a decal bearing the label of the MK71 emergency food preparation station.
- The Wasp bears a striking resemblance in design to the cut Kestrel from Halo 2. Whether this was intentional or not is unknown.
|See our gameplay information related to AV-49 Wasp on its gameplay page|
|Browse more images in this article's gallery page.|
Concept art of the Wasp for Halo 5: Guardians.
A render of the Wasp, as it appears in Halo 5: Guardians.
A close-up of the Wasp on Attack on Sanctum.
Two Wasps on Urban.
A Wasp firing upon a Kig-Yar Sniper on Attack on Sanctum.
Two Wasps and a D'nomlhe-pattern Banshee in Warzone Firefight.
An ONI Wasp, Hannibal Wasp, and Wasp (from left to right) on Battle of Noctus.
Halo 5: Guardians REQ cards
List of appearances
- Halo 5: Guardians
- Warzone Firefight (First appearance)
- Halo: Legacy of Onyx (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual
- Halo Infinite
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 156
- Halo Waypoint, Canon Fodder - Tales & Stingers (Retrieved on Jul 30, 2021) [archive]
- Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual, page 204
- Halo 5: Guardians, Wasp in-game vehicle
- Halo Infinite, Wasp in-game vehicle
- Halo 5: Guardians, REQ Card: Wasp Description "The AV-49 Wasp supplements existing stocks of AV-14 and AV-22 aircraft in Marine service. Close air support VTOL armed with heavy machine guns and twin rocket launchers."
- Halo Waypoint, Canon Fodder - Showcase Sensitive (Retrieved on Jun 16, 2021) [archive]
- Halo Waypoint, Canon Fodder - Local Units (Retrieved on Jul 30, 2021) [archive]
- Halo Waypoint, Canon Fodder, Cutting Room Lore (Retrieved on Jul 26, 2022) [archive]
- Halo Waypoint, Canon Fodder - Buzz Generating (Retrieved on Jul 30, 2021) [archive]
- Halo Waypoint, Canon Fodder - Bounty Hunters (Retrieved on Jul 30, 2021) [archive]
- Halo 5: Guardians, REQ Card: ONI Wasp Description "The size and mobility of the Wasp makes it a favorite of ONI Security teams in high-threat environments. ONI Wasps are loaded with all-environment homing missiles and HEDP machine gun rounds. Advanced Wasp with heavy armor and upgraded weapons."
- Halo 5: Guardians, REQ Card: Hannibal Wasp Description "Misriah Armory and Hannibal Weapon Systems collaborate on initiatives to evolve their existing offerings of weapon systems and vehicles. Advanced Wasp with heavy armor, gauss repeaters, and experimental ion field bomb launchers."
- Twitter, Jeff Easterling (@GrimBrotherOne): "Q: This is the AV-49H Wasp and the Colossus Mark II [J] ADS respectively right.
Yes to both." (Retrieved on Nov 24, 2021) [archive]
- YouTube - Gamecheat13, Halo 4 - The Revenant and Disintegrator (Retrieved on Nov 24, 2021)
- Twitter, Darren Bacon (@_darrenbacon): "@Halo 5 Wasp details... This vehicle all-up was a design collab w/ David Heidhoff and @nbsparth -piloting-~piloting~, c. 2015... #Halo #conceptart" (Retrieved on Jun 1, 2020) [archive]