Stop and kill the Prophet of Truth.
|Halopedia has a walkthrough guide to this level, The Covenant (level). See The Covenant (level)/Walkthrough.|
|“||Breach the barrier. Stop Truth.||”|
Upon completing it on the Normal, Heroic, or Legendary difficulties, the player will earn the Last Stand achievement and 40 Gamerscore. Earning over 50,000 points in the campaign meta-game on this level will give the player the Vanguard achievement and 10 Gamerscore. It is the longest level in Halo 3. This level is significant as it is the Covenant's last stand. After the Covenant have been defeated, there is only one last threat the UNSC and Sangheili have to deal with: the Flood.
On The Ark, the Master Chief John-117 must stop the High Prophet of Truth from firing the rings. Before reaching Truth, the UNSC and Sangheili forces must deactivate three towers powering the defensive barrier protecting the Prophet's citadel. They deactivate two towers, but the initial assault on the third tower fails, resulting in Sergeant Johnson being taken prisoner. The Master Chief joins forces with the Arbiter and the other Sangheili and they launch a joint assault on the third tower. The Chief completes Johnson's task and deactivates the final tower, lowering the barrier. Before the Shadow of Intent can begin its assault, however, the Flood-infested High Charity emerges from slipspace and crashes into the Ark, damaging the Shadow of Intent in the process. The UNSC and Sangheili forces make one final ground assault on the citadel, facing off against a massive vehicular Covenant force, including two Scarabs at once.
After defeating the Covenant forces outside, the Master Chief and the Arbiter enter the citadel, only to discover that Truth is moments away from using Sergeant Johnson to activate the Halo Array. In a desperate effort to stop Truth, Miranda Keyes crash lands her Pelican into the citadel's control room and attempts to rescue Johnson. However, she is killed by Truth, who then forces Johnson to activate the Ark. Finally, united by the common purpose of stopping the rings, the Gravemind offers an alliance with the Chief and the Arbiter Thel 'Vadam. With the Flood's help, the Chief and the Arbiter defeat Truth's remaining followers and shut down the Ark. The Arbiter then personally executes Truth, ending the Human-Covenant war at last. Moments later, however, the Gravemind and the Flood turn against them. Johnson escapes in Miranda's Pelican, while the Chief and the Arbiter fight their way back outside. Upon escaping, they finally discover Cortana's solution to the Flood.
Three teams. Three towers.
Five Pelicans fly in. They are followed by two Sangheili Phantoms. Behind them is the Sangheili assault carrier Shadow of Intent. The view changes to a large energy barrier surrounded by Covenant forces
- Commander Miranda Keyes (COM): "We hit these three generators, and the barrier will fall?"
- 343 Guilty Spark (COM): "A small section, yes."
A patrolling Unggoy spots the dropships as they approach the mainland. It jumps and cowers.
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Good enough. Johnson, drop the Chief at the first generator, then head to the third. The Elites will punch right down the middle."
- Sergeant Johnson (COM): "Roger that."
Gunfire hits one of the trailing Pelican's engines, causing it to collide into Hocus' Pelican, tossing its Warthog out onto the ground. The second Pelican swerves out of control and drops its Warthog as well.
- Damaged Pelican Pilot (COM): "Mayday! I can't control her!"
The Pelican drops out of sight, followed by the sound of a crash and a muffled explosion.
- Hocus (COM): "Pelican down! Pelican down!"
- Sergeant Stacker (COM): "Brace yourselves; we're going in a little hot!"
Chief grabs a Spartan Laser as his Pelican makes a rough landing.
- ODST Sergeant (Stacker): "Pile out! Go, go, go! Alright, up the beach! Take out that Wraith!"
- Hocus (COM): "Commander, this is Kilo 23. Lost my wingman and our only 'Hog. Over."
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Roger that, Hocus. Get out of there!"
The Master Chief and the ODSTs storm the beach, eliminate the enemy infantry - including a Jiralhanae War Chieftain, and destroy the Anti-Air Wraith.
- ODST (COM): "Beachhead secure, Commander. Hostile Anti-Air has been neutralized."
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Hold position, I'm on my way. Shipmaster, begin diversionary bombardment."
- Shipmaster Rtas 'Vadum (COM): "I will beat the Prophet's shield like a drum. By the time the barrier falls, he will beg for mercy."
The Shadow of Intent starts firing plasma torpedoes at the barrier.
A Pelican drops off a Mongoose and Warthog for the Chief and his Squad. If the existing squad have all died, replacements will also be dropped off.
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Spark believes Truth can activate the rings at anytime. If he does, Earth, every being in the Galaxy... Halo will kill them all."
They mount up and head off for the first tower.
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Get to the first tower. Shut it down."
As the Chief drives up the hill towards the 1st generator, he sees the Sangheili Phantoms battling with the other Covenant loyalist Phantoms near the second tower.
- Sergeant Johnson (COM): "Ma'am, we're on the ground. Third Tower in sight."
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Good. The Arbiter and the Elites have touched down at number 2."
(Co-op Change) Commander Keyes (COM): "Good. The Elites have touched down at number 2."
The strike team reaches the first tower.
- ODST/Marine: "Objective in sight! Watch for heavy armor!"
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Chief. You've got to offline that tower."
Keyes' Pelican drops off weapons.
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Get inside that tower. Take it down!"
The Chief eliminates the Covenant troops guarding the door.
- ODST/Marine: "Perimeter secure. Get inside that tower!"
- ODST/Marine: "Stick together! Check your corners!"
Master Chief gets inside and secures the bottom floor.
- ODST/Marine: "Sir, go on. Tower controls should be up top!"
The ODST and/or Marines hold the bottom floor while the Chief takes the elevator to the top floor.
- ODST/Marine: "We'll secure the area, sir."
- ODST/Marine: "We'll hold things down here."
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Chief, find the tower controls, and shut it down!"
The Master Chief deactivates Tower 1.
Tower 1 shuts down.
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Good work, Chief! That's one. The Arbiter should be just about to..."
(Co-op change) Commander Keyes (COM): "Good work, Chief! That's one. The Elites should be just about to..."
Tower 2 shuts down.
- Commander Keyes (COM): "...that's two! It's all up to Johnson's team now."
The Chief and Commander Keyes watch Tower 3 for a moment. It remains active.
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Get back outside, Chief. Wait for transport."
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Johnson, come in. Over."
- Sergeant Johnson (COM): "Brute reinforcements, ma'am (static)! We're pinned down!"
- Commander Keyes (COM): "I'm on my way!"
- Sergeant Johnson (COM): "Negative! Fire's too heavy! (to his squad) Everyone fall back! Now! (static and cut-off)"
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Sergeant Major!"
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Johnson! Can you hear me?! (No response) Chief, you need to link up with the Arbiter and proceed directly to the Third Tower. Make your way back to the beach."
(Co-op change) Commander Keyes (COM): "Chief, you need to link up with the Elites and proceed directly to the Third Tower. Make your way back to the beach."
The Chief hurries back to the elevator, and heads back down. After clearing another group of Kig-Yar and Unggoy attacking the Marines holding the lower floor, the Chief and his squad get back outside to their vehicles, or meet up with transport if they have no vehicles left.
- Marine Driver: "Get in, sir."
The Chief and the Marines head back to the beach. Once there, the Chief and his accompanying soldiers meet up with the Hornets and other Marines who held the beach.
- Hocus (COM): "Sir. Got a flight of birds that need an escort. Take the Hornet; get those Pelicans safely to the Third Tower."
If You Want It Done Right...
Close air support.
The Chief gets in a Hornet. He assists the other Hornets in clearing the airspace of Tower 2, which is heavily saturated with Banshees and a single Phantom.
If the Chief tries to land at the Second Tower:
- Thel 'Vadam (Elite in Co-op) (COM): "Second Tower is clear, Spartan, no need to land. Let us hasten to the Third."
They proceed to Tower 3, where they meet heavy resistance both in the air and on the ground.
- Pelican Pilot (COM): "Objective in sight, Commander... No sign of Johnson or his team."
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Understood. Chief, clear an LZ, then get inside the tower."
A pair of Anti-Air Wraiths, a standard Wraith, Shade turrets and a large Jiralhanae pack lead by a War Chieftain guard the Third Tower. After the UNSC airborne forces take out the Anti-Air Wraiths, the Sangheili Phantoms arrive and drop off Thel 'Vadam and a group of Sangheili. The Chief uses his Hornet to eliminate any remaining enemy armor and infantry. He then lands the Hornet and joins the Sangheili on the ground. The bodies of Johnson's team litter the tower's entrance, but Johnson himself is nowhere to be found.
Marines from the Pelicans and Hornets follow up, and secure the perimeter. The Chief, 'Vadam, and the Sangheili push on inside the tower, encountering a small pack of Jiralhanae at the doorway. Inside, they battle a swarm of Yanme'e and a Mgalekgolo pair. Eventually clearing out the opposition, the team move deeper inside and encounter a larger pack of Jiralhanae, followed by another swarm of Yanme'e. The Chief, 'Vadam and their allies overcome the defenders and secure the bottom floor and the elevator.
- Thel 'Vadam: "Darken this tower and the barrier will fall. Go, Spartan! We have no time to waste."
'Vadam and his Sangheili hold the lower level while the Master Chief heads up. The Chief secures the top floor, after defeating a Jiralhanae War Chieftain wielding a plasma turret and a squad of Jiralhanae Stalkers.
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Hit the switch, Chief, and the barrier will fall!"
The Chief deactivates the Third Tower.
The barrier falls. The Shadow of Intent advances on the Citadel.
- Rtas 'Vadum (COM): "Now, Prophet... your end has come."
A massive Slipspace rupture suddenly appears directly above. High Charity emerges and plummets down to the Ark.
- Rtas 'Vadum (COM): "High Charity...? By the Gods. Brace for impact!"
Debris from High Charity strikes right through the Shadow of Intent's hull. A Flood dispersal pod then breaks apart in midair. Part of the pod crashes through the window right above the Chief. It stops as it hits the elevator window, glowing eerily. The Chief raises his rifle and prepares to engage the enemy he knows too well.
Flood forms swarm towards the lone Spartan, infecting the corpses of the Jiralhanae in the room. Soon eliminating the hostiles in the area, the Chief then takes the elevator back down.
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Shipmaster, what's your status?"
- Rtas 'Vadum (COM): "Significant damage! Weapon system disabled!"
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Move to a safe distance, stay away from the Flood."
- Rtas 'Vadum (COM): "Why would the Parasite come here?!"
- 343 Guilty Spark (COM): "The Ark is out of range of all the active installations! Priority: We must contain this outbreak, before-"
- Commander Keyes (COM): "No! First, we stop Truth. Then we deal with the Flood."
The Chief links up with the Sangheili and the Arbiter, who are trying to hold back encroaching Flood forms. After clearing the room, they head back outside, eliminating more Flood forces (including several carrier forms). Arriving outside, they assist Marines engaged in combat with the Flood. A Sangheili Phantom arrives to pick up Thel 'Vadam. The Phantom's side gunner helps clear out any remaining Flood.
- 343 Guilty Spark: "Quickly, I must see the point of impact; assess the damage to the Ark."
- Thel 'Vadam: "To the top of these hills, Oracle, no higher. We cannot risk your capture by the Flood."
'Vadam takes 343 Guilty Spark with him. Meanwhile, Pelicans drop an M12G1 Gauss Warthog, a Mongoose, and a Scorpion Tank for the assault on the Citadel. The Chief, the Marines, and the remaining Sangheili mount up.
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Shipmaster's Carrier is out of commission, Chief. I need you to take down Truth. The Flood's just going to put pressure on him; accelerate his plans. Punch through the cliffs! Get inside that Citadel!"
Storm the Citadel.
- Pelican Pilot (COM): "Citadel in sight! Brutes are mobilizing everything they've got."
The Assault Team advances across the cliff, facing infantry, Ghosts, Shade turrets, deployable lookout towers, Prowlers, and a Wraith. Once the team breaks through the Covenant defenses, they meet up with two Hornet Gunships near the route down into the clearing.
- Stacker (COM): "Hornets, inbound!"
The Master Chief takes a Hornet and makes his way to the Citadel (alternatively, he can stay in whatever vehicle he's currently in). Two Scarabs drop down from above.
- Pelican Pilot (COM): "I count two Scarabs! Repeat: two Scarabs!"
The Chief engages the Scarabs. The Assault Team backs him up: The Scorpion Tank fires from a far range, while the Warthog and the Mongoose move about under the Scarabs to assist Chief in taking their "legs" down. They are soon joined by a second Warthog. The Pelican and the other Hornets engage the Scarabs from the air. Several enemy Ghosts, Banshees and another Prowler defend the Scarabs.
The Chief takes out the first Scarab.
- Commander Keyes (COM): "First Scarab's down! All units, concentrate your fire on number two!"
The Chief takes out the second Scarab.
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Both Scarabs down, well done."
If any minor Covenant resistance on the ground is left:
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Marines, kill the stragglers!"
If the Chief isn't there when 'Vadam lands:
- Thel 'Vadam (COM): "Spartan, come to me. This platform hides a path!"
If the Chief stalls:
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Chief, Spark has found a way into the Citadel. He's waiting for you on the platform, Chief. Go!"
The Chief lands and meets 'Vadam and 343 Guilty Spark at the top of the platform.
- Thel 'Vadam: "The Flood scales the Citadel's far wall. Activate this bridge, Oracle! (turning to the Chief) The Prophet will die by my hands, not theirs."
- 343 Guilty Spark: "Calamity! If only we had more time!"
Spark activates a light bridge. The Chief and 'Vadam cross it and enter the Citadel alone. The door they entered through closes and bolts up. The entrance is a large hallway with viewscreens mounted along the walls.
- Cortana (Cortana Moment): "It asked, and I answered. (turns bitter) For a moment of safety, I loosed damnation upon the stars."
- Prophet of Truth (Video COM): "My faithful...stand firm!"
Viewscreens around the Chief light up. The Prophet of Truth is seen making another speech. The Chief and 'Vadam hurry to find a way up.
- Prophet of Truth (Video COM): "Though our enemies crowd around us, we tread the blessed path. In a moment, I will light the rings! And all who believe...shall be saved!"
Master Chief and 'Vadam discover an elevator, with a screen in front of it, showing Sergeant Johnson held aloft by a Jiralhanae. Johnson punches the Jiralhanae in the face, to no effect.
- Commander Keyes (COM): "Chief, how close are you?"
They look up. The height is phenomenal.
- Master Chief Petty Officer John-117: "Not close enough."
The view changes to the Control Center. Johnson is thrown to the floor.
- Sergeant Johnson: "That the best you got?"
A Jiralhanae Chieftain gives him an amused huff, then picks him up around the neck and begins to strangle him.
- Sergeant Johnson: "Oh, come on. Impress me."
Truth turns around and sees what is happening.
- Prophet of Truth: "Stop, you imbecile! He wants you to kill him!"
He turns back to the Ark's activation console, and speaks quietly.
- Prophet of Truth: "I'd prefer that you did not..."
The Chieftain slams Johnson's head into the solid holographic console.
- Sergeant Johnson: (to Truth) "What's the matter, big shot? Can't start your own party?"
Truth leans forward so only Johnson can hear him.
- Prophet of Truth: "I admit, I need your help."
A Pelican appears behind them unnoticed and rapidly approaches the main window.
- Prophet of Truth: "But that secret dies with all the rest."
The Pelican smashes through the window and crashes onto the ledge next to them, slamming into a Jiralhanae and sending it flying. Scene fades to black briefly.
- Commander Keyes: "Johnson! (ejects a shell from her shotgun) Sound off!"
Johnson climbs up from behind the control terminal, clutching his side.
- Sergeant Johnson: "(coughing) Get - out of here!"
- Commander Keyes: "Not without you!"
More Jiralhanae surround Miranda and Johnson. Miranda fires at the closest Jiralhanae with her shotgun. Its armor is damaged, but it remains standing.
- Prophet of Truth: (off-screen) "You delay the inevitable. One of you will light the rings."
Miranda Keyes draws a pistol and aims her weapons both ways.
- Prophet of Truth: (off-screen) "You cannot hope to kill them all!"
Keyes pauses and lowers her weapons. She looks at her pistol.
- Commander Keyes: "You're right..."
She reluctantly aims the pistol at Johnson. He staggers towards her.
- Sergeant Johnson: "Do it. Me...then you..."
Keyes hesitates, lowering her pistol slightly with sadness on her face.
- Sergeant Johnson: "Now!"
Keyes straightens up and aims. Several Spiker shots are heard. Keyes gasps in pain and drops her weapons. Johnson starts to run to her aid.
- Sergeant Johnson: "No!"
A Jiralhanae Captain restrains Johnson, who struggles, horrified. Miranda Keyes falls to her knees, collapses, and dies, with five glowing spikes in her back. Truth walks on screen, gingerly holding a Spiker in one hand. He looks down at Miranda.
- Prophet of Truth: "Your forefathers wisely set aside their compassion..."
He drops the Spiker, and shakes a fist to emphasize his speech.
- Prophet of Truth: "...steeled themselves for what needed to be done."
Truth walks up to Johnson, who is still being restrained by the Jiralhanae.
- Prophet of Truth: "I see now why they left you behind."
Sergeant Johnson is brought up to the control panel.
- Prophet of Truth: "You were weak. And gods must be strong."
He forces Johnson's hand down on the panel with a smug look. Johnson, still overcome with grief and shock, doesn't resist. Instantly, the Control Terminal begins to change and heighten. Truth raises his arms in triumph. The scene moves down the corridor, as six out of the seven holographic Halo rings light up one by one (Installation 04 has not yet been replaced, so its ring does not light up). At the end of the corridor, the Master Chief and Thel 'Vadam emerge from the lift. Two Flood tank forms drop from above. The Master Chief draws his assault rifle and aims, and 'Vadam activates his energy sword.
- Gravemind (through the tank forms): "Do not shoot, but listen! Let me lead you safely to our foe. Only you can halt what he has set in motion."
Note: In the subtitles, the Gravemind says "stop" instead of "halt."
The pair lower their weapons cautiously. Pod infectors scurry between their feet toward their common enemy. The Master Chief and 'Vadam look at each other, obviously not trusting the Flood, but knowing they have no other choice.
The Master Chief, the Arbiter, and the Flood begin their final assault on Truth. Three bridges stand between them and the Control Center. Resistance on the first bridge consists of Unggoy and Kig-Yar infantry led by a single Jiralhanae Captain, backed up by Unggoy Heavies. The Chief and his allies quickly defeat these enemies and cross the first bridge.
The Chief enters a room with holograms of Truth in the Forerunner systems.
- Prophet of Truth (Hologram): "How could I have known the Parasite would follow?! Undoubtedly this is the Heretics' doing! A final, bitter curse. Clear evidence of treachery long hidden!"
At the second bridge, the Chief and 'Vadam encounter the final Covenant defenders - including a Jiralhanae Chieftain wielding a gravity hammer and his Bodyguards, with Jump Pack Brutes as the main counter-attack force (on higher difficulties, the Jiralhanae are supported by a pair of Unggoy Heavies armed with fuel rod guns). With the help of the Flood, the Master Chief and the Arbiter defeat the last of Truth's followers. They cross the second bridge.
In the second room, Truth holograms broadcast a final message.
- Prophet of Truth (Hologram): "So far are we along the path, that I must strain to hear the clumsy patter of their pursuit. Know this, my brothers: they may foul the way with their charred and broken bones, but they will not stop the Journey."
Resistance on the third bridge has already been crushed by the Flood. The Chief and the Arbiter step over the bodies of fallen Jiralhanae, Unggoy, and combat forms and finally reach the Control Center. A large gap is now all that stands between them and Truth. The Chief activates a light bridge, allowing them to cross.
The Master Chief and Thel 'Vadam cross the light bridge. They pass by an inert Flood corpse, and come across a distraught Sergeant Johnson, who is resting Miranda Keyes' lifeless body on his lap by her head next to the Pelican. The pair stop and stare into Miranda's empty eyes, until Johnson closes them gently.
The Chief continues to stare at Miranda, shoulders slumped, obviously disheartened, while 'Vadam approaches the crawling form of Truth, his energy sword turned off but at the ready.
- Prophet of Truth: (weakly) "Can you see, Arbiter? The moment of salvation is at hand."
The Arbiter grabs Truth by the throat and points his currently deactivated sword in the Prophet's face.
- Thel 'Vadam: "It will not last!"
- Prophet of Truth: "Your kind...never believed in the promise of the sacred rings."
Flood biomass suddenly erupts from Truth's head. Spores spew from his mouth. The Prophet is infected.
- Gravemind (speaking through Truth): "Lies for the weak. Beacons for the deluded."
At this moment, 'Vadam draws his energy sword back and activates it, ready to kill his former leader. The Master Chief points his assault rifle at Truth, in case he is completely taken over by the Flood.
- Thel 'Vadam: "I will have my revenge. On a Prophet, not a plague!"
Truth regains control of his body.
- Prophet of Truth: "My feet tread the Path. I shall become a god!"
Tentacles begin to sprout on Truth as the Flood infection progresses.
- Gravemind (speaking through Truth): "You will be food - nothing more."
The Chief approaches the Ark's Control Panel, ready to deactivate it.
- Prophet of Truth: (realizing what he's about to do) "NO!"
The Chief deactivates the Ark. The holographic Halo rings dim. The Flood body begins to stir.
- Prophet of Truth: (being held aloft by 'Vadam) "I...am...Truth! The voice of the Covenant!"
'Vadam releases Truth briefly, then viciously grabs his neck from behind. Truth's crown falls off as he pitifully gasps for air, trying to grab 'Vadam's hand.
- Thel 'Vadam: "And so… you must be silenced."
'Vadam stabs his sword through Truth's back. It goes clean through him; the two points of the energy sword pierce through his chest as he writhes and screams in pain. Flood spores shoot out of his mouth and the infection lets out a pitiful squeal as both it and its host die. The last of the High Prophets is dead.
The Arbiter pulls his sword out and lets Truth's corpse fall to the floor. He lets out a roar of triumph and deactivates his sword. He then turns to the Chief. The Chief gives the Sangheili a nod, acknowledging him for ending the life of the Prophet who declared war on humanity; they then turn to see Johnson carrying Miranda's body into the Pelican. There is a moment of silence as they realize their victory has not been without loss, but the Human-Covenant War is finally over.
Suddenly, the ground begins to tremble, and massive tentacles rise up all around them. Chief wields his assault rifle and 'Vadam reactivates his sword. They both stare up at the tentacles, which are now reaching high above them. The Gravemind laughs maniacally.
Johnson leaps into the Pelican's cockpit and starts to take off, heading for the hole in the window that Miranda made earlier. The Chief climbs onto the Control Panel of the Ark and jumps up, grabbing onto the departing Pelican's landing gear. Thel deactivates his sword and grabs the Chief's hand. Just before the Pelican can get out, the tentacles knock both of them off. The Pelican spirals out of control and falls out of sight. 'Vadam and John-117 land in a heap on the Control Center's floor. The Gravemind's tentacles swerve around them and multiple Flood forms can be heard approaching.
- Gravemind: "Now the gate has been unlatched, headstones pushed aside… corpses shift and offer room, a fate you must abide!"
The Chief and 'Vadam get back up. 'Vadam reactivates his sword, and the Chief takes aim with his assault rifle. They come back to back.
- Thel 'Vadam: (almost exasperated) "We trade one villain for another."
For a moment, the tentacles appear poised to strike. Then - as if sensing a threat (possibly the Sentinels) - the Gravemind suddenly retreats, leaving its minions behind to deal with the pair. Two combat forms jump up from behind the Control Panel.
- Sergeant Johnson (COM): "I can barely keep hold of her, Chief! No way I can pick you up! Head back to the lift... find a way down!"
The Chief and 'Vadam kill the two combat forms and cross back over the light bridge. Both heroes fight their way through hordes of Flood, which have betrayed them now that the Halo rings have been deactivated. Fortunately, Sentinels have arrived and are fighting the Flood.
The Chief re-enters the room where Truth's first message was broadcasted.
- Cortana (Cortana Moment): "I'm a thief...but I keep what I steal."
Master Chief and Thel 'Vadam make it back to elevator. The lift is not working, so they jump down a shaft at the back of the room.
The Chief lands at the bottom of the shaft, landing in a room not unlike the entrances to the three Shield Towers. He looks beside him as the Arbiter comes down, and then stands up. A flickering, spooky image of Cortana appears in the hallway, running. She starts to turn the corner and disappears, after a split second. The Chief casually walks around the corner as though amused by Cortana's antics, but 'Vadam is confused.
- Thel 'Vadam: "What do you see?"
With 'Vadam trailing far behind, the Chief looks around the corner. He sees a control panel. Cortana appears a second time, again for only a second, walking loftily (and spookily) towards it. She stops at the panel and disappears. The Master Chief goes to the panel and activates it.
A view screen slides open, the Chief and 'Vadam step out onto a balcony to watch as a massive structure rises up out of thick fog. It's a Halo Ring, incomplete, rising from inside the Ark's Core. Cortana's plan is becoming clear.
'Vadam turns and looks at the Chief.
- Thel 'Vadam: "A replacement. For the ring you destroyed."
- John-117: (to a blue glow behind him) "When did you know?"
Spark hovers up from behind and comes up to the Chief.
- 343 Guilty Spark: "Just now - but...I had my hopes. What will you do?"
- John-117: "Light it."
- 343 Guilty Spark: (overjoyed) "...Then we are agreed! A tactical pulse will completely eradicate the local infestation! I will personally oversee the final preparations."
He flies enthusiastically around the Chief and 'Vadam and then flies off toward his new Halo, now talking to himself.
- 343 Guilty Spark: "Though it will take time to fabricate an activation index, I will see to the letter that..." (he flies too far away)
The Arbiter turns to the Chief.
- Thel 'Vadam: "How will you light it?"
They both turn to look at the crashed High Charity in the distance, realizing that Cortana still has the Halo Index required to activate the new Installation 04.
Fade to black.
- Main article: Glitches
- If a weapon is dropped on either side of the two elevators the player will be unable to pick it up again, however ammunition can be retrieved from the weapon. However, if the player fires the weapon, the player can retrieve it by quickly holding the RB button when he/she sees the prompt.
- If one starts at Rally Point Alpha, and head back to the first tower, the elevator controls will be separated from the platform, and if one goes up, one will be stuck, because the controls remain at the bottom of the lift. If one does not go up the lift, the Hornets the player needs to continue the level with will disappear. If one destroys the two Hornets the Marine Pilots offer, the third Hornet will fly down to the player. One can get him out and drive this particular Hornet to the first tower and reach incredible heights. If one goes near the first tower entrance, the Hornet will disappear.
- At Rally Point Alpha, on the island where the Phantom deploys the Anti-air Wraith, one can trick the game into believing that one is stranded on the island. Then the game will spawn a Hornet piloted by a Marine Pilot who will land it on the island and offer it to the player. The player can have infinite Marine Pilots and an infinite number of Pilot controlled Hornets by exploiting this, causing the map to overload.
- Occasionally, when a Banshee pilot dies, or when the player boards one, the Brute will be holding a human Battle Rifle.
- The player can ride in certain Pelicans in this level by bringing his/her Hornet right up to the back of the Pelican, getting out, and holding "RB". If one does it correctly, one will be riding the Pelican.
- It is possible to get into the second tower that the Arbiter disabled using the Time Travel Glitch. The tower's interior is just an empty space with nothing inside, not even floors or walls as one can see here.
- After the player makes the Elites the enemy by betraying allies, if the player gets in a vehicle and allows an Elite to board the player, he will be unable to melee or melee the player out.
- The Phantom Riding Glitch can be performed on this level, making the player disappear in the level.
- The Two Arbiters Glitch can be performed on this level.
- The Infected Brute Chieftain Glitch may be seen on this level.
- Occasionally, while a corpse is being infected by the Flood, without the first Pod infector dying, another Pod infector may enter it. Despite this, only one Pod infector will be present in the Combat Form. The other Pod infector will be attempting to dig into the corpse.
- The Secret Marine on The Covenant can be found on this level.
- If one gets to the texture fault where the hidden Marine is, one can see the other player's screen. If one drives into it, the player will be erased out of the map.
- During the battle with the two Scarabs, if the player boards one of the Hornets (as opposed to piloting it him/herself), then the Hornet's pilot will take the player to the Scarab, and return to pick up the player when the player destroyed the Scarab's core. The AI-piloted Hornet will then take the player to the second Scarab, and repeat the sequence.
- If the player destroys a Scarab's power core right after it lands, the player and everyone else on the Scarab will be thrown across the map. It can also be performed if one rides in a Hornet and jump off when one is over the Scarab. Then one must bypass the enemies and melee the power core.
- On Co-op, if the player glitches into the Citadel, the Flood will become the enemy.
- Using the time travel glitch, one can trigger a special glitch seen here. As a hint of what will happen is that one scene will be interlaced with another one and the music will blend.
- It is possible to "control" a Scarab in this level. First, kill one Scarab then land on the other. Kill all enemies then stand on the top. It will walk towards the direction the player is aiming at because it's AI is scripted to follow the player.
- If one retains 343 Guilty Spark by destroying the Separatist Phantom that comes to pick up Arbiter and deploy an Auto-turret facing Guilty Spark, the Auto-turret will shoot at him for unknown reasons.
- The player can jump over the chasm where he/she is supposed to activate a light bridge and reach Truth by using a Gravity Hammer and a Plasma Grenade. By grenade jumping backwards and using the Hammer at the peak of the jump, the player can be propelled across the chasm, but even if he/she lands safely, the bridge will strangely activate on its own, and the cutscene will play.
- After the cutscene where Arbiter has killed Truth, if the player melees the Prophet, the dead body will fall through the platform.
- It is possible to board the Phantom the Arbiter goes into by jumping in quickly before he goes in. Afterwards, the player will fall of and die, or, if they are holding a turret, the Phantom will stay invisible and immobile.
- In the first cutscene, when the Warthog is knocked from the Pelican carrying John-117 during the beach approach, it is intact and undamaged when it hits the ground, but when the player walks up to it in gameplay, it is destroyed and in pieces, most notably with the wheels missing. Also in the first cutscene, the Warthogs attached to the Pelicans are clearly troop transports, yet when the player surveys their wreckage during gameplay, the models actually have destroyed LAAGs.
- When gameplay first starts in the beginning of the level, there are 2 Pelicans dropping UNSC forces instead of only Hocus' Pelican. This is done mostly for 3-4 players co-op.
- The Pelican that crashes at the start flies past the wreckage and lands at the waterfall—it doesn't land where its crash site was positioned. Sometimes, its two pilots' bodies can be found in or around the water below the waterfall.
- When one deactivates the shield in the third tower where Johnson failed to do so, one is attacked by Flood who come crashing through the window. However, when the tower is seen from outside (the snowy area outside the Citadel), the glass is intact.
- When the player is in the area where the two Scarabs are, one can see a huge air battle in the sky, Hornets and multiple Banshees squadrons. This battle, however, is scripted and will repeat in every play-through. One can look at this battle closer with the Theater mode or at the Secret Marine emplacement. As observed in Theater mode, the Pelicans and Hornets are badly textured, but Banshees remain the same.
- There are marked landing spots on where the Scarabs land.
- During the first cutscene that takes place in the Citadel, the screens in the "foyer" show Johnson being held by a Brute Minor. Later in that cutscene, however, the Brute inexplicably changes into a Chieftain. It is possible that the Brute Minor had quickly "passed" Johnson to the Chieftain when the Master Chief and Arbiter gaze at the lift's height, however, no Minor is present later the cutscene, only the Chieftain's bodyguards.
- At the same screen mentioned above, the Prophet of Truth was already out of his gravity throne, as the 2 golden "spikes" on the throne were missing.
- In the same cutscene, when Miranda crashes her Pelican through the foyer, for a split second one can see the top of the control room fail to fully render before the top of the room inexplicably reappears as her ship goes down.
- In the opening cutscene of Revelation, if one has the subtitles turned on, when the Gravemind says "halt", the subtitles read "stop".
- When the Prophet of Truth is killed by the Arbiter during the cutscene, he loses his crown. However, when the gameplay resumes and Truth is dead on the floor, he is still wearing his crown.
- Near the end of the cutscene in which the Arbiter kills the Prophet of Truth, two Brute Flood Combat Forms are seen climbing over the Ark's controls to attack the Chief and the Arbiter. However, when gameplay resumes, it is two Elite Flood Combat Forms that are standing in front of the Ark's controls.
- When the Scarabs fall down from the sky, it seems as if they fall out of nowhere.
- Main article: Easter Eggs
- The Thunderstorm and IWHBYD Skulls can be found on this level.
- The Siege of Madrigal song and Microsoft Sam can be heard on this level.
- The first chapter of the level is named "Trident". This refers to the three towers and the Citadel. There are three spikes on a trident—a metaphor for the towers. The handle that the spikes lead up is a metaphor for the Citadel.
- In the opening cutscene, there are 7 ally dropships in total: 5 Pelicans and 2 Separatist Phantoms.
- The Marathon symbol can be seen in the middle of all the elevator control panels present in the level.
- The platform at the end of the Citadel could be a large Marathon symbol, due to the break in the large platform in the front, and the smaller circle in the center.
- The window of the Citadel becomes a prominent Marathon symbol after Commander Keyes crash into the Citadel.
- The Legendary symbol, granted for completing this level on Legendary, can be seen in the Campaign lobby, and is one of the two symbols that is darker than the rest.
- This level is the last level in which the player fights the Covenant (excluding the Easter Egg Grunt on the final level). It is also one of only four levels that is cut into three rally points, rather than two—the others are the previous levels, The Ark, Sierra 117, and Crow's Nest.
- Bungie has stated that this is the longest level in the whole Halo Trilogy, partially because it is the Covenant's last stand against Humanity. It is also the only Campaign level where players can use AV-14 Hornets.
- This is one of the only two levels where the player can achieve Too Close to the Sun, the other being The Storm.
- This is the second and last level in Halo 3 to have ODSTs fight alongside with the player.
- This is the only level in which friendly dropships can be destroyed. The two Separatist Phantoms that appear outside the third tower can be destroyed. Their door-mounted Plasma Cannons can also be blown off from the ground, and are very useful against the Drones inside the third tower.
- This is the only level in the Halo Trilogy that involves a battle against two Scarabs at the same time.
- This is the first and only level in the trilogy in which the Flood are allies to the player.
- Attacking your Flood allies will not cause them to turn against you, nor will the Arbiter react except for a few comments.
- This level and High Charity are the only levels in the trilogy in which Brutes can be seen engaging the Flood.
- Hijacking the first Anti-Air Wraith in the level will make progressing up to the first tower a lot easier; one will also be able to bombard the Covenant forces hiding in the hallway just before the tower's entrance. A video of this can be found here: AA Wraith Glitch.
- This is the first level in which the player can use the Spartan Laser.
- If played on Easy or Normal difficulties, there is a second Spartan Laser near the crashed Pelican at the beginning of the level.
- It is possible to progress through the level without destroying the Anti-air Wraith in the beginning. The Pelican will not arrive and no enemies will spawn in the canyon that one would otherwise drive through, until one reaches the area around the tower.
- It is possible to get a Mongoose or a Warthog onto the one of the Scarabs in the Scarab fight. Bungie has conveniently placed ramps leading up to both Scarabs as soon as they land. Grab a Mongoose or a Warthog and just line up the Scarab during the jump.
- At the point where the player reunites with the Arbiter and 343 Guilty Spark after defeating the Scarabs, if there are any surviving Covenant forces nearby, 343 Guilty Spark will attack them with the same energy beam he uses against the player in the Control Room later in the game.
- Upon entering the Citadel (after one defeated the two Scarabs), the Cortana Moment the player experiences before the cutscene is projected on the holoscreens in mirror image to what is in his/her visor.
- During the final fight with the Covenant, the door leading to the room that leads to Truth can only be opened when the Chieftain goes down
The UNSC and their Sangheili allies attack the Prophet of Truth.
A team of ODSTs engage a Jiralhanae War Chieftain.
|Halo 3 Campaign Missions