Plasma cannon (starship)
|This article is no longer up to date and needs to be updated with new information from Halo: Fleet Battles. You can help bythis article.|
An SDV-class heavy corvette firing its plasma cannons
Starship plasma weapon
Magnetically-contained superheated plasma
Plasma bolt guided by shaped magnetic fields
Plasma cannons are starship-mounted weapon systems used by the Covenant and its remnants. Unlike plasma torpedo turrets, plasma cannons appear to be able to fire only in a straight line and are less powerful than plasma torpedoes. The bolts fired by plasma cannons are typically blue or blue-purple. These cannons are most prominently mounted in arrays on a variety of Covenant warship classes, such as SDV-class heavy corvettes. SDV-class corvettes use the cannons for both ship-to-ship combat and ground assaults, and feature manned control stations from which each cannon can be operated individually.[note 1]
Known typesPlasma cannons
- Gaff Naran-pattern - Used on the Hekar Taa-pattern Blockade Runner.
- Sono-pattern - Ket-pattern CCS-class battlecruisers.
- Melusean-pattern - Used on the Sinaris-pattern CPV-class heavy destroyer, the Varric-pattern ORS-class heavy cruiser, the Mjern-pattern DSC-class support ship, and the SDV-class heavy corvette.
Three of Ardent Prayer's plasma cannons, one of which is firing.
List of appearances
- Halo: Combat Evolved (First appearance)
- Halo: The Flood
- Halo 2
- Halo 3
- Halo Wars
- Halo: Reach
- Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
- Halo: Escalation
- Halo 2: Anniversary
- Halo: Hunters in the Dark
- Halo: Fleet Battles
- Halo 5: Guardians
- Halo: Smoke and Shadow
- Halo: Silent Storm