- "Assorted games for teams of two. Work together or die alone, teamwork is critical here."
- — In-game description for Halo 3's ranked Team Doubles playlist
Maps played in Team Doubles
Note: All maps have equal chance of being selected.
- Epilogue - Epitaph variant with no shield doors and tweaked weapon layout.
- Boundless - Snowbound variant with shield doors removed.
- The Pit
- Pit Stop - The Pit variant with inaccessible spawn hives.
- Foundry - Part of the Heroic Map Pack.
- Blackout - Part of the Legendary Map Pack.
- Ghost Town - Part of the Legendary Map Pack.
- Cold Storage - Available on Xbox Live Marketplace.
- Assembly - Part of the Mythic Map Pack.
- Tundra - Skipped after veto. Symmetrical Sandbox variant in the crypt. Part of the Mythic Map Pack
- Vessel - Skipped after veto. Symmetrical Sandbox variant in the sky, built for doubles.
- Citadel - Available on the Halo 3: Mythic disk
- Heretic - Available on the Halo 3: Mythic disk
Gametypes Played in Team Doubles
- Team Slayer (37.7% chance of being selected) - First team to 25 kills wins. All players spawn with an Assault Rifle. 12 minute match time limit.
- Team BRs (23.7%) - First team to 25 kills wins. Players start with Battle Rifles and Assault Rifle secondary weapons. 12 minute match time limit.
- Team Snipers (5.2%, skipped after veto) - First team to 25 kills wins. Players start with Sniper Rifles and Magnum secondary weapons. Player traits: Infinite ammo. Map traits: No weapons on map. 12 minute match time limit.
- Team Oddball (16.9%, skipped after veto) - Hold the oddball for points. First team to 150 points wins. Players spawn with Assault Rifles. Ball Carrier Traits: 75% walking speed, 50% damage. 10 minute match time limit.
- Team Crazy King (8.8%, skipped after veto) - Stand in the hill for points.100 points to win. Hill moves randomly every minute. Players spawn with Assault Rifles. 10 minute match time limit.
- Multi Flag CTF (3.9%, skipped after veto) - Players attempt to capture the opposing team's flag. First team to three captures wins. 10 minute match time limit.
- One Flag (2.6%, skipped after veto) - Round-based Capture the Flag, where one team attempts to capture a flag while the other team defends it. Most captures after four rounds wins. Four minute round time limit.
A limited hopper, based on Team Doubles, was introduced on Thursday, February 14th at 10a.m. PST by Bungie, titled "St. Valentine's Day Massacre" . This ran until Monday 18th February, during which Bungie monitored certain actions performed by players, and gave out Recon Armor to the winners.
As with normal Team Slayer, multiple tactics can be employed.
- One of the most effective tactics in Team Doubles is a trap, or bottle neck. This involves one player enticing the enemy into a kill zone by using ranged weapons (Carbine, Battle Rifle, or Sniper Rifle) from behind cover to weaken and draw the opposing team over to him, while the other player hides in the line of fire with a one-shot-kill, short range weapon (Shotgun, Energy Sword, etc) and mops up the kills. This tactic allows players to cover each other and remain far enough apart to dodge grenades and duck to cover independently.
- With the oddball, this is partly reversed as the carrier will be the target, while the player with the one-hit-kill type weapon can be placed in position, again, to intercept the targets. With the oddball, positions can be camped for extended periods, but beware of camping in Slayer, as there are always alternative routes to the player's location.
- If things go wrong, the player should always wait for his teammate, as rushing into a 1 on 2 battle rarely accomplishes anything.
- On Snipers, communication is even more essential as one shot might weaken a player that the teammate can mop up.
- Flanking the enemy is always useful in Snipers, as having to turn around makes effective sniping difficult.
- It can be noticed that whenever you veto a standard Slayer game on Halo 3, you get Slayer BRs instead, and vice versa.
- Bungie Weekly Update, 2/13/08, http://halo.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=13250