United Republic of North America
|This article is currently under construction and needs to be improved. Please refer to the talk page for more info. You can help by the page.|
|There is more information available on this subject at United Republic of North America on the English Wikipedia.|
|United Republic North America|
The United Republic of North America (abbreviated URNA) is a regional political union on the continent of North America on Earth. It is a loose association between the nations of Canada, Mexico, and the political remnants of the former United States of America.
The New Phoenix Incident
As the location of the UNSC's Supreme Headquarters, the United Republic features many military and other facilities across the continent. This is due largely in part to the historical importance of North America, particularly New York City, to the United Nations. Other military bases in the region include the ONI Chawla Base in Boston, Massachusetts and Base Segundo Terra in Mexico City.
At least one engagement of the Human-Covenant War, the Battle of Cleveland, was fought in North America; during the battle, many citizens of the metropolitan city attempted to flee north in boats from the invading Covenant forces to Ontario, Canada. While the city suffered minimal damage from hostile and friendly fire, many citizens were killed by the genocidal Covenant. During the battle, the UNSC established a relief camp in the nearby city of Akron. During the final stages of the Battle of Earth, Covenant forces retreated to North America while the Prophet of Truth fled to Installation 00, with at least one Jiralhanae expedition deploying to Arizona to locate and activate a Forerunner artifact. This effort was foiled by elements of the UNSC Home Fleet.
In July 24, 2557, the city of New Phoenix was attacked by the Forerunner known as the Didact. Using a device called the Composer, the Didact extracted the mental patterns of over 7 million people. MCPO John-117 stopped him using a HAVOK nuke, destroying the Composer and the Didact's flagship, although some of the consciousnesses of the composed New Phoenix residents were transferred back to Requiem and converted into new Promethean Knights.
- Marta (New York)
- Gilly (New York)
- Herzog (Washington D.C. and Boston, Massachusetts)
- Preston Cole (Mark Twain, Missouri)
- Lian Devereaux (northeast Canada)
- James James (New York)
- Janissary James (New York)
- Avery Johnson (Greater Chicago Industrial Zone)
- Marcille Johnson (Greater Chicago Industrial Zone)
- Ava Lang (Greater Chicago Industrial Zone)
- Bonita Morelli (New York)
- Jason Morelli (New York)
- Jersey Morelli (New York)
- Gabriel Thorne (New Phoenix, Arizona)
- Gladys Wilson (New York)
- Kamal Zaman (California)
- Luther Mann (Seattle)
- Rani Sobeck (Kentucky and Boston, Massachusetts)
- Sarah-John Pope (Kentucky)
The URNA may be derived from the theoretical North American Union.
Evidence suggests that by the 26th century, the United States no longer exists as a political entity. This is supported by the Halo Encyclopedia, which describes the United Republic of North America as being composed of Canada, Mexico, and "the political remnants of the United States," suggesting a dissolution of the Union.
Additionally, in his report on Vice Admiral Cole, Codename: SURGEON makes reference to the Battle of Gettysburg, which he describes as taking place during "the first American Civil War." This wording strongly suggests that at least one more civil conflict occurred during the nation's history, perhaps resulting in the dissolution of the Union. It is important to note that the word "first" is not capitalized, indicating that it is not the formal name of the war (unlike, for example the First World War). Therefore, if a second civil conflict did take place, it probably went by a name other than the "Second American Civil War."
However, the Encyclopedia also references the United States as an extant body. This may be an oversight, though it is possible that the URNA's the member countries retain some autonomy as administrative divisions. In i love bees Rani Sobeck makes direct reference to the Fifth Amendment, implying that the United States Constitution is still the foundation for law in 26th-century America (though it is possible that the term "plead the Fifth" simply remains in the American lexicon as a figure of speech). This is further supported by the continued existence of the IRS.
Alternatively, the above information regarding the Constitution and IRS may indicate that the United States' government and systems have been adopted by the United Republic, and thus that the URNA's governmental and social institutions are similar or identical to those of the possibly defunct United States government.
Advertisements for Fueder Construction suggest that the national entities of the URNA have somewhat dissolved into a continent state, as they mention "Salem, Oregon, URNA". In this political entity, all the political subdivisions would likely have been stripped of their duties to their respective nations. The following list details the general political subdivisions that would presumably exist under this system.
- Canada — Ten provinces and three territories
- Mexico — Thirty-one states and one federal district
- United States — Fifty states, sixteen territories, and one federal district
The seventh issue of Halo: Escalation shows a map of the URNA which displays the borders of the provinces and states, suggesting they continue to exist in some capacity in the 26th century. Strangely, the province of Quebec is colored differently from the rest of the republic. However, given that the province is the same color as the depicted water bodies, while Hudson Bay is colored like a landmass, this is almost certainly the result of a coloring error rather than an attempt to depict Quebec as being separate from the URNA. Additionally, part of northeastern Mexico is also depicted as a water body. This is also presumed to be an error, as the entire Texan landmass that borders northeastern Mexico is colored as land rather than water. Mid-26th century depictions of North America seen in Halo 2 and Halo 4 prove that the continent still holds a similar shape to its 21st century appearance, with Hudson Bay, Quebec, and northeastern Mexico still intact.
List of appearances
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (Indirect mention)
- Halo: Combat Evolved (First mentioned)
- i love bees (First appearance)
- Halo 2
- Halo Graphic Novel
- Second Sunrise Over New Mombasa (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Uprising
- Halo 3 (First identified as the United Republic of North America)
- Halo 3: ODST (Indirect mention)
- Halo: Contact Harvest
- Halo: Legends
- Halo Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
- Halo: Glasslands (Mentioned only)
- Halo 4
- Halo: Escalation
- Halo: Mortal Dictata (Mentioned only)
- Halo 2 Anniversary
- Terminals (holographic projection only)
- Halo: Spartan Strike
- Halo: Hunters in the Dark (Mentioned only)
- Hunt the Truth
- Halo 5: Guardians (Mentioned only)
- Halo Mythos
- Halo: Smoke and Shadow
- Halo: Legacy of Onyx (Mentioned only)
- Halo 3, campaign level Floodgate
- Halo Encyclopedia, page 285
- Halo: Escalation, Issue #7
- Halo: Uprising, Issue #4
- Halo: Escalation, Issue #7
- Halo 4, campaign level Midnight
- Spartan Ops, Memento Mori
- Halo Encyclopedia, page 285
- Halo: Glasslands, page 63
- Halo: Evolutions, The Impossible Life and the Possible Death of Preston J. Cole
- i love bees, Axon taxes_suck