From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
The Multiple Launch Rocket System (MLRS) Gyroc Launcher, colloquially nicknamed the Hydra, is a series of handheld missile launchers developed by Chalybs Defense Solutions for use by the military forces of the United Nations Space Command.
Hydras are multiple-rocket launchers designed to fire 9X-G high explosive, airbursting (HEAB) gyroscopically-stabilised rockets. They are infantry-portable and held akin to a rifle. The fore of the weapon contains a revolving cylinder typically holding six rockets which can be semi-automatically fired in rapid succession. The Hydra's most unique feature is its lock-on. The weapons' targeting and detection suite is capable of locking onto enemy infantry and vehicles, with the rockets fired self-guiding onto these targets.
Hydras are relatively recent additions into the UNSC arsenal. As of 2558, the MLRS-1 Hydra had only been issued to operatives of the Spartan Operations division and had yet to see widespread usage among the regular military.
There are two major production lines of the Hydra in service - the MLRS-1 and MLRS-2. Each line has its own sub-variants.
- Typhon: a specialised upgrade in Watershed Division prototyping, with higher damage and more effective recoil compensation.
- Echidna: a specialised upgrade in Watershed Division prototyping, firing non-nuclear electromagnetic pulse missiles.
- Pursuit Hydra: a variant of the MLRS-2 firing rockets with a higher velocity and lower targeting time.
- Halo Waypoint - Universe, Weapons, Hydra Launcher (Retrieved on Oct 30, 2021) [local archive] [external archive]
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 177
- Halo 5: Guardians, REQ card: Typhon description "What Chalybs builds, Watershed Division perfects. Improved Hydra Launcher with upgraded recoil compensation, warhead damage, and reload speed."
- Halo 5: Guardians, REQ card: Echidna description "Experimental mini-missile warheads are just one of Chalybs Defense's many R&D projects. Advanced Hydra Launcher loaded with experimental EMP warheads capable of temporarily disabling enemy vehicles."
- Halo Infinite, Forge - Pursuit Hydra description: "Increased long-range proficiency with faster target lock and improved rocket velocity."
- Halo Support, Halo Infinite Weapon, Equipment, and Vehicle Inventory (Retrieved on May 5, 2023) [archive]