|There is more information available on this subject at Shotgun on the English Wikipedia.|
A shotgun (also scattergun and peppergun) is an asymmetric engagement, smooth-bore ordnance firearm; designed to be fired from the shoulder, which uses the energy of a fixed shell to fire a wide variety of lethal and non-lethal munitions. The unique properties of the shotgun, such as large case capacity, large bore, and the lack of rifling, led to the development of a large variety of specialty shells, ranging from novelties to high tech military rounds. These munitions can range from a number of small spherical pellets (shots), needle-thin armor-piercing darts (flechettes), a solid projectile (slugs), special purpose shotgun grenades (frags), or incendiary-effect rounds (dragon's breath). Unlike other firearms, the power of the burning charge is divided among the pellets, which means that the energy of any one ball of shot is fairly low. In a military or law enforcement context, the wide spread and large number of projectiles makes the shotgun extremely effective as both a close quarters combat weapon, and as a personal defensive weapon system.
Shotgun can refer to the following:
- DTM series - A series of shotguns by Weapon System Technologies.
- M45 Tactical Shotgun - A shotgun featured in Halo: Reach.
- Underslung shotgun
- Type-52 Pistol - A pistol-shotgun favored by the Jiralhanae. Better known as the Mauler. Featured in Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST.
- Z-180 Close Combat Rifle/Asymmetric Engagement Mitigator - Used in the latter part of the Forerunner-Flood war. Better known as the Scattershot. Featured in Halo 4 and Halo 5: Guardians.
- This is a disambiguation page — a navigational aid which lists other pages that might otherwise share the same title. If an article link referred you here, you might want to go back and fix it to point directly to the intended page.