From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
Halopedia has a walkthrough guide for this level; see Relic Approach/Walkthrough.
|“||Get Alpha Base up and running and find what the Covenant are up to.||”|
Relic Approach is the second campaign level in Halo Wars. The UNSC forces on the ground on Harvest are attempting to determine the Covenant's interest in a Forerunner structure to the north of Alpha Base. Sergeant John Forge must lead a force through the Covenant-held area to the Forerunner structure.
Having retaken Alpha Base, Sergeant John Forge observes the Covenant activity outside of the Relic. In particular, Forge observes Arbiter Ripa 'Moramee who commands his troops to open the structure despite the dangers of the Flood being inside. On the UNSC Spirit of Fire, Professor Ellen Anders insists that she must see the structure for herself to determine its purpose and Captain James Cutter agrees to send her on the condition that Anders will be evacuated at the first sign of danger. At the same time, the Arbiter reports to the Prophet of Regret on the success of their mission. Though pleased by what the Relic has revealed, the Prophet of Regret, to the Arbiter's shock, orders that the Covenant must destroy the holy Relic to keep it out of human hands to protect what the Covenant has learned there. The Arbiter concedes to the Prophet's wishes and begins having his troops plant charges.
Before assaulting the Covenant position, Forge has to rebuild Alpha Base which, while retaken, still remains destroyed. With the base rebuilt, Forge amasses a large assault force and launches an attack on the Covenant position outside of the base which includes a Covenant citadel and an anti-vehicle barrier blocking progress forward. Forge's assault force is able to eliminate the Covenant forces and take down the shield wall. Discovering the detonator for the charges in the opening to the Relic, Forge's troops destroy it, ending the Covenant attempt to blow up the Relic. With that danger eliminated, Forge secures the area for Anders to come down and join him.
Scene opens with John Forge crawling to the edge of a cliff over looking a Covenant encampment.
- Sergeant John Forge: "Let's just take one last look-see."
- Ripa 'Moramee: "The Hierarchs grow impatient! We can delay no longer!"
- Ripa 'Moramee: "I care not for your little life! Open the Relic."
Forge, looking through the binoculars, watches Unggoy opening the doors to the Relic.
- Forge: "Well, well... open sesame."
The Arbiter looks behind him at Forge's location. The Sergeant is no longer there, and the Arbiter walks towards the Relic.
Cuts to the UNSC Spirit of Fire, then to the ship's Observation Deck, turned into Anders' makeshift lab.
SPIRIT OF FIRE
Cutter enters attempting to avoid the scattered equipment. Anders is on her computer.
- Professor Ellen Anders: "I like the view. It adds... perspective to my work."
- Cutter: "Forge doesn't think it's safe for you to go down there yet. He's quite insistent."
- Anders: "I can be quite insistent too Captain, I can take care of myself."
- Cutter: "Any idea what it is we've got down there?"
- Anders: "It's all theories right now, and I'll know a lot more once I get down there."
Anders stands up, but Cutter stops her by placing one of his hands on her shoulder.
- Cutter: "I'm approving the mission, but the slightest sign of danger and I'm pulling you out. Is that understood?"
- Anders: "Understood, Captain."
Anders leaves with a slight grin, a view screen in lab shows the Relic entrance. Cuts to actual Relic, the Arbiter is in mid-conversation with the Prophet of Regret.
- Ripa 'Moramee: "Hierarch, the humans are closing and will soon be upon us!"
- Prophet of Regret (Video COM): "No matter, the information you have gathered here is most appetizing."
Cuts to the interior of the Relic. The Arbiter is talking with the Prophet of Regret via hologram.
- Prophet of Regret (Video COM): "However, we must protect what we have learned here. Set the charges and destroy this place."
- Ripa 'Moramee: (stunned) "Destroy this holy relic? Surely you jest!"
Sangheili and Unggoy are seen leaving the Relic, while the Unggoy are carrying explosives.
- Prophet of Regret (Video COM): (angered) "The Journey requires sacrifice! Set the charges. Return to us! Our patience is not infinite!"
The Arbiter bows.
- Ripa 'Moramee: "It will be done."
The Arbiter turns away.
A Pelican lands in Alpha Base's site. A Marine mounts the M68 Gauss Cannon on Forge's Warthog.
- Captain Cutter: "Serina, we need to re-establish Alpha Base before we can proceed with the mission."
- Serina: "Captain, the base power system is offline and a lock-down protocol is in effect. If we rebuild, the lock-down will end, and the doors will open."
- Serina: "Projection for new base location ready."
A Heron arrives and sets down a Firebase.
- Serina: "The base is up and running again. We need Supply Pads built so I can send down materials."
A supply pad was built.
- Serina: "The Command Center is online, but it can't house Marines, we'll need a Barracks to call in the troops."
A barracks was built, and one Marine squad leaves the firebase when trained.
- Cutter: "We need to establish a larger military presence on the ground."
A total of five Marine squads are trained.
- Serina: "Keep constructing buildings and updating them where you can. The lock-down is lifted and the front gate is opening, I've highlighted the area where Sergeant Forge found the structure."
There are two ways to exit Alpha Base. If the player chooses the way closer to the base and straight towards the structure:
- Serina: "I'm picking up a lot of Covenant chatter around your position, looks like they're setting up defenses."
After engaging a few lances of Covenant, the UNSC forces find a few deployable lookout towers in front of two Pelican wreckages.
- Forge (COM): "Take cover in those downed Pelicans! Move!"
The Marines take cover in the wreckage, and fought back the Covenant stationed on the towers.
If the UNSC forces exit from the gate further from the base and away from the structure, they find numerous Covenant machines working in front of a cliff.
- Forge (COM): "If we blow up these refineries the enemy airpads will go with them, nice!"
Nearby, a UNSC landing pad is being guarded by the Covenant.
- Bravo-29 Pilot (COM): "Alpha Base, this is Bravo-29. I can drop reinforcements at that landing pad if you can remove all hostiles in that area for me."
The UNSC forces clear the area, and two Pelicans land, dropping reinforcements.
- Serina: "Here's some extra reinforcements, play nice."
The UNSC forces come upon Warthogs trapped by an anti-vehicle barrier.
- Serina: "I've lost contact with some Warthogs out on patrol. Keep an eye out for them, will you?"
The UNSC forces continue on, discovering a Covenant base.
- Forge (COM): "Well, well. Lookee here, the Covenant built themselves a little base."
- Cutter: "Our primary mission here is to reach that structure, destroying that base is a secondary objective."
If the player loses all the units in attacking the base:
- Serina: "Well, that didn't go as planned."
Eventually, UNSC forces breach the barrier blocking the entrance to the relic. Intense fighting occurs as the UNSC slowly makes their way toward the entrance. When they reach the entrance, they see the Covenant have set up a large detonator.
- Cutter: "If the Covenant detonate those explosives our mission here is over! Get to the detonator!"
The UNSC forces successfully destroy the detonator, saving the relic.
- Cutter: "Good work, prepare for new orders."
- Bravo-29 Pilot (COM): "Alpha Base, this is Bravo-29, heavy inbound. I've got the Professor aboard."
Fades to black.
- The Grunt Birthday Party skull is accessible after killing 20 Kig-yar sniper units, and is on the souther end of Alpha Base.
- The Black Box is located northwest of the Covenant base, in an area blocked off by an anti-vehicle barrier.
- This is the first level players can build a base, and is therefore also the first level to train units and research upgrades.
- The soundtrack, Perspective, which is also the music for the cutscene, is a reference to Anders' line: "I like the view, it adds... perspective to my work."
- During the talk between Captain Cutter and Anders on board the Spirit of Fire, a Hornet can be seen below. This marks the first and only time a Hornet is seen in the CGI cinematics and the first time it is seen in space.
- The shields that the Covenant have put up can be destroyed with out destroying the power source. If you build at least 5 cobras, lock them down, and then order them to attack the power source, the shields will eventually be destroyed.
- Some pieces of human dynamite (found next to Alpha Base, to the right of the base exit) are incorrectly listed as enemy methane tanks and can be destroyed
- An achievement named Endless Fun can be obtained if you destroy all the Methane tanks near the refineries.
- The opening cutscene portrays Sangheili anatomy incorrectly. Halo 3 established that Sangheili blink with their transparent nicitating membranes in a left-right movement so as not to interfer with their vision. When Ripa looks at the cliff, he instead closes his eyelids, which are portrayed as a top-down movement.
|Halo Wars Campaign Missions