Battle of the Mortal Reverie
From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
- Lucas Browning: "Was a bloodbath. The Banished, they outnumbered us a hundred to one. We didn't stand a chance. We never did."
- Hudson Griffin: "And the Spartans?"
- Lucas Browning: "Fought like hell. Never seen anything like it. I don't know... Saw a lot of them die. Have no idea how many."
- — Lucas Browning describing the battle of the Mortal Reverie to Hudson Griffin.
- "...we can't change what's already happened and running away from Reverie isn't viable—we both know that. If they can't dig in and fight here, there’s no way they'd survive out there. We face the enemy's attack head-on and we do it from Reverie. There’s no other option."
- — Spartan Nina Kovan to Lieutenant TJ Murphy.
On December 12, 2559, the UNSC Infinity traveled to Installation 07 in order to deploy the Weapon and stop Cortana. However, the Infinity and her fleet were ambushed by Banished forces, resulting in the apparent destruction of the supercarrier, forcing the survivors to evacuate to Zeta Halo's surface. On December 15, Spartan Vedrana Makovich discovered the wreckage of the UNSC Mortal Reverie and determined it to be a viable location for the UNSC's base of operations. Commander Etana Hensler, with Spartan Hudson Griffin of Fireteam Taurus, became the ad hoc leaders of the UNSC forces gathered at the Mortal Reverie. Numerous survivors from the Infinity gathered at the crash site, including naval personnel, army troopers, marines, ODSTs, and Spartans; however, the remaining half of the survivors held no prior combat experience, being Unified Earth Government personnel, scientists, retail specialists, and support staff. Lieutenant TJ Murphy was put in charge of provide military training to supply staff and nonmilitary personnel.
On January 23, 2560, Spartan Griffin led Spartans Panago, Malik, and Sarkar on an assassination mission on Escharum. Griffin left Bertold Vettel in charge of the Spartans at Reverie. However, Escharum anticipated Griffin's actions. His forces ambushed the Spartan team, killing the other three and leaving Griffin badly wounded. Escharum taunted Griffin, letting him know that he'd sent most of his forces to assault the Reverie. Griffin managed to send an encrypted message to warn the Reverie before Escharum captured and handed him over to Chak 'Lok for torture. Under the combined leadership of Vettel and the Commander Hensler, the UNSC forces at the Reverie braced for the Banished's attack.
On January 31, Jiralhanae Chieftain Tremonius and Captain Arthoc gathered a massive Banished assault force at Riven Gate. Spartan Stone and Boulder Squad conducted a recon sweep at Riven Gate. Stone reported her findings to Mortal Reverie, and warned the Reverie that the Banished would arrive by nightfall. The UNSC survivors at the Mortal Reverie prepared for the Banished assault. That evening, Spartans Makovich and Vettel acknowledged that they may lose the upcoming battle and discussed their dwindling options for the future.
Two barricades were established in the pass towards the Reverie, with additional fortifications set up at key positions around the exterior of the ship, where there were ammo and resupply runners at the ready. All support staff teams were station with an experienced squad. The secondary barricade—the one closer towards the Reverie—consisted of two mixed units of marines, army troopers, ODSTs, and six Spartans, including Spartans Makovich and Theodore Sorel. Two M9 Wolverines were stationed in front of the barricade. The primary barricade was composed of a similar force, albeit including a larger Spartan presence with three Spartan teams of four. A minefield was deployed beyond the primary barricade. Additional units, including Spartans, a handful of Warthogs, and Scorpions occupied the ridgelines along the pass. Gunners manned what was remained of the ship's Rampart point defense guns to provide air support. The UNSC was aware that the survivors at the Mortal Reverie were ill-prepared, but the crash site served as a solid foothold for the survivors, and the alternative—running away from the Reverie and surviving in small groups in the wilderness—was not a viable option.
On the evening of January 31, a large Banished force led by Chieftain Tremonius, composed of ground and air forces, commenced its assault on the wreckage of the Reverie. Although the minefield deterred the Banished front line, a group of Choppers quickly breached one edge of primary barricade while a unit of Unggoy and Kig-Yar charged down the ridgeline towards the vehicles. The artillery guns on the Reverie proved to be key to the battle, protecting the UNSC ground forces from the Banished air units.
By February 2, the Banished had breached the primary barricade, bringing the frontline to the secondary barricade; Banished infantry and armor were pouring into the valley by the hundreds. The secondary barricade was bombarded by a barrage of plasma mortars while Banished Sangheili and Choppers charged at the barricade. However, after a day and a half of fighting, the starboard side of the Reverie—the side facing the pass and the Banished forces—exploded after sustaining heavy damage. With the artillery guns disabled, the Banished aircraft quickly overwhelmed the UNSC ground forces; survivors were cut down, run over by Choppers and Wraiths, or herded off the edge of the cliff by force—some leaping by choice.
Spartan Vettel was reluctant to abandon the Reverie, knowing that if they lost the Reverie, they lost everything that they had left. However, completely overwhelmed by the sheer number of Banished forces, Spartans Nina Kovan and Vedrana Makovich convinced Vettel that they had no other choice; and Vettel ordered the surviving UNSC personnel to abandon the Reverie, leaving it to the Banished.
- Nina Kovan: "Area is starting to cool down. We'll lie low here until morning, and then we move."
- TJ Murphy: "To where? Is there a rally point?"
- Nina Kovan: "No. There is no rally point, Lieutenant. There's no one to rally with. We're completely on our own now."
- — Nina Kovan and TJ Murphy after the battle.
Pursued by small Banished parties, UNSC survivors scattered and fled into mountains or the surrounded area. Escharum ordered Banished troops to capture human survivors and collect dead Spartans from the battlefield—making it impossible for escapees to scavenge gear from their dead comrades. Prisoners of war were taken to the Redoubt of Sundering for processing, and some were then taken to the Tower for interrogation or torture.
Following the battle, the crash site surrounding the ship was converted into a Banished outpost. As a reward for Tremonius' victory, Escharum had the outpost named after Tremonius, who would be promoted to the rank of Warlord. The loss of the Reverie, followed by the last of the Forward Operating Bases on the fragmented section of the ring on March 3, saw the end of all major UNSC resistance on the fragmented section of Zeta Halo.
On May 28, John-117 was rescued by Echo 216 from the debris field around the installation. While retrieving the Weapon from the ring's foundations, the Master Chief killed Tremonius, then retook Outpost Tremonius for the UNSC for the first time since the fall of the Mortal Reverie.
List of appearances
- Halo: The Rubicon Protocol, chapter 16
- Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Retaliation #08 - The Retreat
- Halo Infinite, Banished Audio log: Outpost Intel #15 - In Your Honor
- Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Scattered #01 - Rubicon Protocol
- Halo: The Rubicon Protocol, chapter 20: "He'd thought he'd seen the worst of the Banished during the battle of the Mortal Reverie."
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 25
- Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Reverie #01 - Home Away From Home
- Halo: The Rubicon Protocol, chapter 9
- Halo: The Rubicon Protocol, chapter 15
- Halo: The Rubicon Protocol, chapter 13
- Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Retaliation #02 - Those Left Behind
- Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Retaliation #03 - Confrontation
- Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Retaliation #06 - Drawing the Line
- Halo Infinite, Spartan Audio log: Retaliation #07 - Red Tide
- Halo: The Rubicon Protocol, chapter 17
- Halo: The Rubicon Protocol, chapter 18
- Halo: The Rubicon Protocol, chapter 20
- Halo Infinite, Ascension achievement description: "Defeated the Banished warlord Tremonius."
- Halo Infinite, campaign level Warship Gbraakon
- Halo Infinite, campaign level Foundation
- Halo Infinite, campaign level Outpost Tremonius